Apple confirms pedestrian-level Maps data collection, initially limited to California

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has confirmed plans to conduct more on-foot data collection for Apple Maps, going beyond the first efforts in San Francisco.

Apple Maps backpack

Between Nov. 26 and Dec. 23, Apple's pedestrian recon team will be operating in the California counties of Alameda, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz, the company said on its website. So far the company hasn't announced plans beyond the state.

The first members of the team were spotted in San Francisco this October, carrying oversized backpacks with many of the same cameras and sensors found on Maps vehicles. Apple is presumably hoping to improve pedestrian and/or cycling directions, since Apple Maps often assumes people have to travel the same paths as cars.

On a broader scale the collection should be used to build out Apple's first-party mapping data. Plans to migrate to first-party maps were announced last June, and could help solve problems caused by the current dependence on a mish-mash of sources.

The iOS Maps app began its life using data from Google Maps, but Apple decided to jettison Google content with 2012's iOS 6. This led to havoc in the short term as the service was saddled with missing or inaccurate data, sometimes putting lives at risk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Rolling out features at this rate, we'll see a workable Apple Maps app....sometime next century.
    Solientropysjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 18
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Rolling out features at this rate, we'll see a workable Apple Maps app....sometime next century.

Yeah. What gives? Google snapped their fingers and had 100% accurate data covering the entire Earth from day one. /s

People seem to forget that Google has been “mapping” for 15 years now. At the 6 year point, Google Maps wasn’t any better than Apple’s maps is today. In fact, I remember many instances where Google Maps was WAY OFF on some sites, and that was after 10 years into it.

Apple has come a long way, and a lot faster than Google did in the same time frame. The difference between then and now, is that people expect more.
    razorpitcurtis hannahlkruppequality72521StrangeDaysapplesnorangeswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mjtomlin said:

Yeah. What gives? Google snapped their fingers and had 100% accurate data covering the entire Earth from day one. /s

People seem to forget that Google has been “mapping” for 15 years now. At the 6 year point, Google Maps wasn’t any better than Apple’s maps is today. In fact, I remember many instances where Google Maps was WAY OFF on some sites, and that was after 10 years into it.

Apple has come a long way, and a lot faster than Google did in the same time frame. The difference between then and now, is that people expect more.

Have to agree. I've got car, walking and mass transit on Apple Maps where I live. I use it even if I know where I'm going so I can avoid the traffic jams.
    curtis hannahequality72521StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I can’t imagine this not being used in a street view equivalent feature. They may have it separate like google, or they’ll just let zoom in flyover mode go down to street level.
    equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    mjtomlin said:

Google was orders of magnitude more agressive globally rolling out features like street view. It all happened in most significant smartphone countries on the globe in about a year, certainly three years. Here is a time lapse coverage map (note China still absent!) The point is, Apple can’t afford to take as long to develop anything.  It’s has to do it better, faster, or go home.

edited November 2018 patchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 18
    wonderwomanwonderwoman Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    Let's just say that Apple Maps is pedestrian-level at best!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Why does this poor guy have to look like a ghostbuster?  

That backpack looks well past due for a good Ive-ing.
    Thinner!
    Lighter!
    Aluminium!
    Pretentious!
    ascii
  • Reply 8 of 18
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    mjtomlin said:

Be serious.  Apple is announcing Transit directions in Apple Maps per city,  Google has done it per country.  Six years after the launch of Apple Maps the coverage for Transit is around 100 cities, absolutely peanuts. Apple has been a snail, catching up with Google in 2134.
    entropystokyojimu
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Apple has really been lagging.  Google Maps didn't get as good as it did overnight,  but it happened pretty quickly.  Apple does things slow.   They shouldn't gas one or 2 people doing a few city in California and that's it.  There should be hundreds of people with packs all over the world.  At Apples pace, by the time the data us released, its outdated.   I've seen Apples Map car around here a couple weeks ago.  I've seen Googles Map car a few times.

Google roles things out quickly and Apple takes their, extra slow time.  Google Maps my not be in China because Google is not in China.  But i could guess that as soon as Google makes a comeback with its search,  theyll be out in force in a lot of cars mapping china in no time.  People with packs on going to all the tourists sights.  Where will be Apple?  Still doing nothing as they're still in California!!!

patchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Yes, good idea, they should prioritise tourist attractions for the walking directions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    I can’t imagine this not being used in a street view equivalent feature. They may have it separate like google, or they’ll just let zoom in flyover mode go down to street level.
    The man seems to be looking (lost his way ?) downward at some device. Chances are it be GMaps.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Begging the question, why didn’t Apple stay with Google in the first place?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Especially since all of the footwork is being done by ONE GUY.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mjtomlin said:

Yes, Apple has come a long way, but they have one handicap that Google didn't have, i.e. an existing, mature product against which they compete.  As you say, people have expectations now that they didn't then, and Apple's mapping solution does not yet measure up to Google's in some respects.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    entropys said:
    mjtomlin said:

Google was orders of magnitude more agressive globally rolling out features like street view. It all happened in most significant smartphone countries on the globe in about a year, certainly three years. Here is a time lapse coverage map (note China still absent!) The point is, Apple can’t afford to take as long to develop anything.  It’s has to do it better, faster, or go home.

Wait, but why? It’s alread the #1 map app on iOS, why do they have to “go home” if they don’t improve it as quickly as Google, a software services ad company? Does Google have to “go home” for not making as good hardware as Apple? No gPad, go home? No gMac desktop, go home?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18

entropys said:
    Why does this poor guy have to look like a ghostbuster?  

That backpack looks well past due for a good Ive-ing.
    Thinner!
    Lighter!
    Aluminium!
    Pretentious!
    Only a troll asserts that Apple gear is “pretentious”. That’s a ridiculously stupid idea IRL, as Apple hardware is the best designed in the sectors, and routinely aped by their competitors. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18

Begging the question, why didn’t Apple stay with Google in the first place?
    Learn your history, it was well covered at the time. Google wanted access to Apple user data and wouldn’t turn over vector tiles or turn-by-turn directions unless Apple sold our data to them. Guess what Apple said?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I live in San Jose. Can someone point me towards where to apply for the walking mapping job 🙂
    watto_cobra