iPhone XR is topping XS & XS Max in sales, says Apple's Greg Joswiak

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2020
The iPhone XR has been beating sales of the iPhone XS and XS Max every day since the phone launched on Oct. 26, Apple marketing VP Greg Joswiak said in an interview published on Wednesday.

Apple iPhone XR

The executive declined, however, to comment about recent reports of iPhone production cuts, according to CNET. Several Apple suppliers as well as research firms have hinted at Apple lowering production based on weaker-than-expected demand. Rumors have even claimed a second wave of cuts, though that may be less likely.

The iPhone XR in particular has been a focus of concern. At $749, the product is the cheapest of Apple's new iPhones while still offering many of the features of the XS, such as Face ID, an edge-to-edge display, and an A12 processor. It's therefore expected to become the most popular model in the coming year -- failure to beat the XS would likely signal major miscalculations on Apple's part.

Greg Joswiak separately noted that for the 30th anniversary of World AIDS Day, happening this Saturday, the company will be donating $1 to charity for each Apple Pay transaction made at an Apple store, Apple.com, or through the Apple Store iOS app.

Apple regularly donates to the Global Fund's anti-AIDS efforts through (PRODUCT)RED-branded devices and accessories, such as the red version of the iPhone XR. Joswiak noted that the company has so far raised $200 million from Red products, but refused to say what percentage of proceeds actually goes to the charity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Doesn't say much.  It can simultaneously be the best-selling iPhone model and not sell according to management's expectation
    atomic101trashman6978Bandit
  • Reply 2 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Doesn't say much.  It can simultaneously be the best-selling iPhone model and not sell according to management's expectation
    However, it does contradict the analysts. 
    StrangeDayschiayojimbo007trashman69magman1979gilly33racerhomie3chasmbrucemcnetmage
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Curious, though ... I bought an XS Max and Verizon gave me an XR for free.
    I received both on XR launch day.
    I thought it was strange to be getting a launch day iPhone for free but who was I to argue?
  • Reply 4 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    I thought it was strange to be getting a launch day iPhone for free but who was I to argue?
    That was an amazing deal. No signs of anything along those lines from carriers where I am.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Are people aware of this?* Trade-ins in exchange for new XS and XR are being given more money from Apple. Good to see, but it certainly doesn't help the perception that sales are slow.

(* click on the word "this")
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 6 of 45
    asdasd said:
    Doesn't contradict anything.  Having the XR be the single best-selling iPhone model since it launched and having XR productions cuts due to not selling according to management's initial expectations can simultaneously be true.
    atomic101avon b778Bandit
  • Reply 7 of 45
    avon b7 said:
    That was an amazing deal. No signs of anything along those lines from carriers where I am.
    That is an amazing deal.  Wish Canadian carriers did the same thing.
    flashfan207
  • Reply 8 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:
    Doesn't contradict anything.  Having the XR be the single best-selling iPhone model since it launched and having XR productions cuts due to not selling according to management's initial expectations can simultaneously be true.
    The analysts don’t know management’s internal projections. Nor do you. 

DAalsethlkruppStrangeDayschiayojimbo007trashman69magman1979gilly33pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    No one really knows what it is going to take for me to buy a new iPhone, Watch, iPad, or Mac.  
    Even I do not really know - right now it is going thru my mind to buy iPhones & Macs.  
    But I have not clicked the Buy Button Yet.
    Buy the Age of my products (except for the Watch), one would think I would have gotten new ones, but these keep working.
    Except for that darned keyboard they put on the newer Macs - I hate it.  when you have a good keyboard - keep it !

netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 45
    asdasd said:

What production cuts? None of us know if there were production cuts. This stock manipulation happens every year. Maybe there were cuts or maybe not. I’d go with the latter. 
    StrangeDayschiayojimbo007magman1979gilly33netmagepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 45
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    TomE said:
    Except for that darned keyboard they put on the newer Macs - I hate it.  when you have a good keyboard - keep it !

I have a 2 yr old iMac and finally after a year and a half of cursing at the Apple accessories bought a new mouse and keyboard. The Magic Things are in the closet and I'm much happier now.
  • Reply 12 of 45

asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

Whether analysts or I know or not is irrelevant.  Saying that the XR is the single-best selling iPhone model every day since launch by itself doesn't indicate how well it's selling.  It's a PR defensive move
    edited November 2018 avon b7cmd-zmazda 3s
  • Reply 13 of 45
    usmccop said:
    asdasd said:

What production cuts? None of us know if there were production cuts. This stock manipulation happens every year. Maybe there were cuts or maybe not. I’d go with the latter. 
    But suppliers do know.  And this year there's enough info coming out regarding supplier production cuts for there to be truth behind it.  Also, if you read the original CNet article, Joswiak was asked about analysts' comments with respect to production cuts and he didn't answer it.  He deflected to the same vague PR line.  Doesn't sound like confidence to me
    edited November 2018 elijahg
  • Reply 14 of 45
    usmccop said:
    asdasd said:

But suppliers do know.  And this year there's enough info coming out regarding supplier production cuts for there to be truth behind it.  Also, if you read the original CNet article, Joswiak was asked about analysts' comments with respect to production cuts and he didn't answer it.  He deflected to the same vague PR line.  Doesn't sound like confidence to me

Doesn't mean a thing. These rumors have come out before and turned out to be false. In fact, I can't think of a single analyst prediction that has EVER been right. Further, I have never seen an official response from a supplier saying their "cuts" were as a direct result of the iPhone, since many of them make components for other products as well.

The most important thing to keep in mind is Apple guidance of $89-93 billion this quarter. Made at their earnings call at the beginning of November. Which means Apple already had a full month (October) of sales not only from their own stores (and online) but also commitments from carriers and other retailers to go by. I'm curious how Apple (called a one-trick pony for the iPhone making a large portion of their revenues) could have record revenues and a large drop in iPhone sales.
    StrangeDaysgeorgie01yojimbo007randominternetpersonelijahgmagman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 45
    usmccop said:
    asdasd said:

Several things here.  1) if there is no material deviation from Apple's 1Q guidance given last month there is no reason for Joswiak to say anything more than he did, from an SEC perspective.  Apple's history under Cook has been to ignore the short term stock market fluxations, and, as has been pointed out the stock dive only benefits Apple's repurchase process. 2) if the XR is the best selling iPhone AND its production is being cut significantly from expectations, as is being reported, then there WOULD be a material deviation from guidance since the guidance IS based on management expectations.  3) if there is a MATERIAL deviation from the guidance Apple provided it would be hugely in Apple's best interest to provide revised guidance at this point and could be argued strongly that they must provide it, under SEC regulations.

Under Cook, and for the most part under Jobs, Apple has been very up front with public information and not played games (think Musk and Tesla). 
    StrangeDaystmayericthehalfbeemagman1979brucemcnetmage
  • Reply 16 of 45
    asdasd said:
    Oh do tell us, what were management’s expectations and how far off are they? Exactly?

What’s that, you say? You don’t know? Can’t say? I see.... So, another unsubstantiated rumor, just like last year and every year. I rest my case. 
    thtericthehalfbeeelijahgmagman1979netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 45

DAalseth said:
    TomE said:

I have a 2 yr old iMac and finally after a year and a half of cursing at the Apple accessories bought a new mouse and keyboard. The Magic Things are in the closet and I'm much happier now.
    I threw my failing Logitech K750 in the trash and specifically bought a new $150 Magic Keyboard, space gray. I love its low-profile and what I presume are butterfly keys. 
    edited November 2018 elijahgsphericmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 45

asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

Whether analysts or I know or not is irrelevant.  Saying that the XR is the single-best selling iPhone model every day since launch by itself doesn't indicate how well it's selling.  It's a PR defensive move
    Just like last year was a PR move when Cook said the same exact thing to the same exact rumor, too, right?

The glass is always half-empty with you people. 
    edited November 2018 elijahgmagman1979netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 45

usmccop said:
    asdasd said:

But suppliers do know.  And this year there's enough info coming out regarding supplier production cuts for there to be truth behind it.  
    Wrong. Same story last year. And Cook was quite clear — you can’t predict their sales volume or expectations by supplier rumors, who do not themselves understand the big picture. You’re not listening to the only people who know, because it doesn’t fit the hater narrative. Again. 

How many historic quarters and years will it take before you people begrudgingly admit Apple knows what it’s doing, and is wildly successful? 
    edited November 2018 elijahgmagman1979netmagepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 45
    This must mean that the XS and XS Max aren't selling....
    netmage