Apple turns to horde of Elvis impersonators for latest Group FaceTime ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2018
If you can't get your band together in Hawaii or anywhere else, like the Elvis Presley impersonators in Apple's latest ad, Apple suggests you use Group FaceTime to stay connected.

Elvis impersonators, all using Apple's Group FaceTime
Elvis impersonators, all using Apple's Group FaceTime

The latest advertisement was published on Thursday afternoon. The ad depicts Elvis Presley impersonators from around the world, all singing Elvis' "There's Always Me" to each other.

Using Apple's Group FaceTime, iPhone users can participate in video calls with up to 32 participants. A carousel along the bottom shows all participants, while those talking are brought into the majority of the screen. Individual windows can be brought full-screen as well.

Calls can be answered right on the Apple Watch, before jumping over to the video FaceTime call on an iPhone or iPad.

The feature is designed not just for iOS 12, but for macOS Mojave as well. The Mac version of FaceTime on Mojave lacks camera filters, video stickers and the face tracking Animoji and custom Memoji features available to iOS clients.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Not a fan of Elvis. But this is very good. Give the director and the team an award and cookies.
    chasmGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    What a beautiful ad. They also managed to integrate an Indian into it. That’s pretty cool.
    chasmGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    One of their better ones.  Kinda makes the world seem small.
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    My preferred Elvis is Costello rather than Presley, but this was a charming ad with a good choice of song, Elvis styles, and voices that still showed off the product without overselling it. Very well done, Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I agree. It’s a really nice ad. The song is perfect for the message - I have to wonder if they found the song first and then thought of using a group of Elvis impersonators. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I have to be convinced the third one isn't Craig Federighi.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    chasm said:
    My preferred Elvis is Costello rather than Presley, but this was a charming ad with a good choice of song, Elvis styles, and voices that still showed off the product without overselling it. Very well done, Apple.
    Well, I used to be disgusted.

Now, I'm just amused.

But since their wings got rusted,

You know the angels want to wear my red shoes.

watto_cobra