Apple shifting marketing staff, pushing trade-ins to expand sales of 2018 iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is reportedly changing up its tactics to boost sales of the iPhone XS and iPhone XR, to boost sales of its flagship product for the holiday season.

iPhone XS and iPhone XR

Executives reassigned some marketing staff from other projects to the new iPhones in October, about a month after the iPhone XS shipped and in the days surrounding the launch of the iPhone XR, according to a Bloomberg source. The person described the move as a potential admission of sub-par sales.

Sources inside Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company told AppleInsider on Tuesday morning that the moves were in no way a "fire drill" as described by Bloomberg, and a "normal seasonal response to expected consumer trends."

In recent weeks Apple retail staff have been told to push the company's trade-in program more often, a second source said. In late November, the company increased the trade-in value of some older iPhones by $25 to $100, while some Japanese carriers made the iPhone XR less expensive via subsidies.

Apple stock took a beating in November, plummeting from a high of $209.95 to as low as $172.29 amid analyst paranoia about Apple no longer reporting unit sales, weak supplier figures and lowered analyst forecasts. It isn't clear how accurate the reports of unexpected cuts are, however, as not every Apple supplier is having the same financial trouble.

Marketing VP Greg Joswiak declined to comment about any cuts in a recent interview, but did offer up that sales of the iPhone XR have topped the XS and XS Max every day since it launched on Oct. 26. Analysts have commonly predicted that, given that the entry-level XR is $250 less than the XS while sharing features such as Face ID, an edge-to-edge display, and an A12 processor.

The iPhone XR starts at $749, $50 more than the iPhone 8 did in 2017, and an iPhone XS is at least $999, like last year's iPhone X. Prices for the iPhone XS Max range from $1,099 to as high as $1,449 for a 512-gigabyte model -- more than a 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    So this is the front page of Apple’s website right now. I can’t remember the last time they featured a price promotion at the very top of their front page.

Also, 9to5Mac noticed Apple changed the marketing copy from a one line marketing slogan to a list of specific features:

I don’t usually put much faith in supply chain rumors considering how often they’re wrong but something feels different this year that leads me to believe sales might not be what Apple execs were expecting. I mean if these devices were selling really well why would Apple be pushing trade-in deals (and even increasing the trade-in value by $100)? Why would they be OK with carriers like Sprint and TMobile offering the XR for free with signup? Those are not things you do for products that are selling well.
    edited December 2018 avon b7muthuk_vanalingamatomic101
  • Reply 2 of 27
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    I personally have been holding back on buying the a new iPhone(s) direct from Apple (will not buy from VZ or T).
    I don't like the supply chain rumors as they damage stock prices - my stock prices.

Shift orders to the factories that are found to be letting information out and as for the Analysts - don't invite them to "Any Thing Apple".
    They have not been able to say much nice and they do not have FACTS to base their rumors; so, disinvite them to any thing electronic or financial.

How about it ?

• Reply 3 of 27
    So this is the front page of Apple’s website right now. I can’t rememner the last time they featured a price promotion at the very top of their front page.

Also, 9to5Mac noticed Apple changed the marketing copy from a one line marketing slogan to a list of specific features:

I don’t usually put much faith in supply chain rumors considering how often they’re wrong but something feels different this year that leads me to believe sales might not be what Apple execs were expecting. I mean if these devices were selling really well why would Apple be pushing trade-in deals (and even increasing the trade-in value by $100)? Why would they be OK with carriers like Sprint and TMobile offering the XR for free with signup? Those are not things you do for products that are selling well.
    None of these mean that Apple is panicked, those are routine sales tasks and nothing is unusual. If you’re a business your reason of being is sales. A business without sales is not “business”, it is just a hobby. Trade-ins are good, especially for some international price-sensitive markets suffering from exchange rates. We all know that traded-in iPhones are not trash, they preserve their resale value, with the addition of refurb and backed by a new warranty those may go well to price-sensitive markets. Do not underestimate carrier subsidies, a carrier is a sales channel and sales channels are everything in a business of Apple’s scale. Everything is fine and happens as predicted...
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Will they give me more ££££ than last week when I trade in my phone? Probably not especially as I don't want an XR or XS but an iPhone 8.
    Those new phones are just too big for me.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Will they give me more ££££ than last week when I trade in my phone? Probably not especially as I don't want an XR or XS but an iPhone 8.
    The XS is basically the same size as an 8, but more screen.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    So this is the front page of Apple’s website right now. I can’t rememner the last time they featured a price promotion at the very top of their front page.

None of these mean that Apple is panicked, those are routine sales tasks and nothing is unusual. If you’re a business your reason of being is sales. A business without sales is not “business”, it is just a hobby. Trade-ins are good, especially for some international price-sensitive markets suffering from exchange rates. We all know that traded-in iPhones are not trash, they preserve their resale value, with the addition of refurb and backed by a new warranty those may go well to price-sensitive markets. Do not underestimate carrier subsidies, a carrier is a sales channel and sales channels are everything in a business of Apple’s scale. Everything is fine and happens as predicted...
    You skirted his point somewhat. Specifically, he mentioned that he couldn't remember the last time he saw a price splash on Apple's front page. Also that the trade in offers had improved. 

Recent changes such as these and right in the middle of the Christmas ramp up are curious to say the least.

You are right that it doesn't mean Apple is panicked but he never said that in the first place. The actions are reactions to something. The question is what. I doubt it is simply a case of Christmas spirit.

racerhomie3atomic101johnnybtrueentropysgatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 27
    avon b7 said:

You skirted his point somewhat. Specifically, he mentioned that he couldn't remember the last time he saw a price splash on Apple's front page. Also that the trade in offers had improved. 

Recent changes such as these and right in the middle of the Christmas ramp up are curious to say the least.

You are right that it doesn't mean Apple is panicked but he never said that in the first place. The actions are reactions to something. The question is what. I doubt it is simply a case of Christmas spirit.

Then there are many more aspects of international trade to speculate about, if this is what we want to do: Trump and Xi are about to come to an agreement, they suspended the trade war for 90 days, the markets may have entered into a “hold on” mode... And Apple’s current task is to sell as much as it can, sales never wait, you sell “now” or never... Again, nothing is unusual, exceptional tactics during exceptional trends, that’s it...
    badmonk
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

I don’t usually put much faith in supply chain rumors considering how often they’re wrong but something feels different this year that leads me to believe sales might not be what Apple execs were expecting.
    Actually, this is how you feel pretty much every year.
    magman1979
  • Reply 9 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    avon b7 said:

Then there are many more aspects of international trade to speculate about, if this is what we want to do: Trump and Xi are about to come to an agreement, they suspended the trade war for 90 days, the markets may have entered into a “hold on” mode... And Apple’s current task is to sell as much as it can, sales never wait, you sell “now” or never... Again, nothing is unusual, exceptional tactics during exceptional trends, that’s it...
    That is fine but those exceptional tactics are exactly what make this unusual.

In the preparation for the 2018 release cycle and pricing, currency issues were already evident. As was the turbulence in US/China relations and it's difficult to imagine that Cook and Trump didn't speak about these issues during their private meetings. On those fronts, very little has actually changed recently so Apple rolled out their plans knowing full well the headwinds. It's only now that potentially unusual things are happening.

From my side of the pond Apple's home page hasn't changed and their is no clear mention of any trade in programme.

The only thing that did surprise me was seeing iPhone ads on YouTube as I'd never seen one before. 
    edited December 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Oh, hang on a minute …

Did someone say 'Bloomberg'?

magman1979
  • Reply 11 of 27

Can you point to me when Apple has done this in the past? I don’t remember them featuring trade-in promotions on their homepage last year. Or offering an additional $100 for customers to trade-in and update to a new phone. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 27

avon b7 said:

Yes, all of this. Whenever I see Apple doing things that other companies do I get curious. It’s not just that Apple is highlighting its trade-in program it’s that they specifically put a price on the front page of their website. Telling people they can get an XR for $449 says to me somewhere Apple is getting feedback that the XR price might be causing sales to be lower than expected.
  • Reply 13 of 27

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

That is fine but those exceptional tactics are exactly what make this unusual.

In the preparation for the 2018 release cycle and pricing, currency issues were already evident. As was the turbulence in US/China relations and it's difficult to imagine that Cook and Trump didn't speak about these issues during their private meetings. On those fronts, very little has actually changed recently so Apple rolled out their plans knowing full well the headwinds. It's only now that potentially unusual things are happening.

From my side of the pond Apple's home page hasn't changed and their is no clear mention of any trade in programme.

The only thing that did surprise me was seeing iPhone ads on YouTube as I'd never seen one before. 

Ah, so it might only be the US or North American Apple websites highlighting this offer? Interesting.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    It sounds like you haven't actually held an iPhone X or Xs. Honestly there really is no difference, just screen real estate. You can't just read about or look at the specs online you need to hold the phone and use it to really get the true feeling.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member
    Shop around - many of the independent resellers (hi there!) have had their own trade -n programs a lot longer than Apple has partnered with Brightstar or whoever does the trade ins for Apple in your region.

They may give you a better value.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member

avon b7 said:

Yes, all of this. Whenever I see Apple doing things that other companies do I get curious. It’s not just that Apple is highlighting its trade-in program it’s that they specifically put a price on the front page of their website. Telling people they can get an XR for $449 says to me somewhere Apple is getting feedback that the XR price might be causing sales to be lower than expected.
      Maybe Apple realizes they need to give a bit more in way of trade in directly with them. If you give someone the incentive to buy from over the carriers than there is the potential for a case and screen protector etc..  multiple sales.  Just a thought...

• Reply 17 of 27
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    The moment I saw this came out of Bloomberg my eyes immediately glazed over this, as they have lost ALL credibility! And sure enough, the trolls (even here) are jumping all over this as gospel and spreading the Apple is Doomed BS again, they are so predictable, just like BB.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    So they "reassigned" marketing team members, to market....Sound the alarm!!!!!
    That's like "reassigning" my Barista to latte's instead of americanos
  • Reply 19 of 27
    TomE said:
    I personally have been holding back on buying the a new iPhone(s) direct from Apple (will not buy from VZ or T).
    I don't like the supply chain rumors as they damage stock prices - my stock prices.

Shift orders to the factories that are found to be letting information out and as for the Analysts - don't invite them to "Any Thing Apple".
    They have not been able to say much nice and they do not have FACTS to base their rumors; so, disinvite them to any thing electronic or financial.

How about it ?

I haven't seen any of the suppliers mention Apple as the reason for their revenue warnings, any assumptions that is Apple causing the warning is based on speculation and the relative percentage Apple amounts to their total revenue.  They do have an obligation to tell the shareholders publicly when they have information that could materially affect the value of their stock (like a miss of their guidance), so what you are asking for is not legal.  Apple punishing them for giving objective shareholder guidance would be very short-sighted as they would be excluding what could be a valuable supplier of components in the future.

Disinviting analysts that don't have positive coverage of AAPL stock is probably not legal as well.  That sounds a lot like stock manipulation by rewarding positive news with additional access.  Now if they publish knowingly false facts or they do something like Gizmodo did when they acquired the stolen iPhone 4 and released proprietary information would be an entirely different story.  They could also set objective standards for what organizations get invited (minimum number of subscribers or minimum number of verifiable page views for example).
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Great. Maybe assign one or two people to start working on that mythical new modular Mac Pro while you're at it, Timmy boy?