Apple finally releases the $39 iPhone XR Clear Case

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone XR Clear Case is now available, and is the first case produced by Apple for the model, after a month of nothing official from the company.

Apple's iPhone XR Clear Case
Apple's iPhone XR Clear Case

Designed to fit the 2018 model, the iPhone XR Clear Case is a transparent case that offers extra protection for the mobile device, while still allowing the iPhone's casing to be easily visible. The case offers protection to the back and sides of the iPhone X, with a cutout section on the back to expose the single rear camera and the flash.

The case is produced with a blend of optically-clear polycarbonate and flexible TPU materials, allowing it to easily slip on and fit over the buttons, while still maintaining some rigidity. A scratch-resistant coating has also been applied to both the interior and exterior, minimizing any scratches that would impair the appearance of the iPhone within the case.

Apple is selling the iPhone XR Clear Case for $39.

Ahead of the launch of the iPhone XR, it appeared Apple would be putting the clear case on sale at the same time as the device itself, but the case failed to materialize. The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max did have cases available at launch, including a variety of leather, silicone and folio options in various colors.

The delay in Apple's case release has allowed other accessory producers to fill the void with their own iPhone XR cases. Along with clear cases similar to Apple's version, third-party vendors have come up with an assortment of designs, including folio, leather, and opaque cases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,108member
    I love the clear case I have for my iPhone 7.  It cost me $19. It’s not made or sold by Apple. 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I wonder how it stand the UV exposure over time and catching granite undeneathr the case. All the clear cases I ever had turn yellow and catching pocket granite scratches the phones under the case.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gutengel said:
    I wonder how it stand the UV exposure over time and catching granite undeneathr the case. All the clear cases I ever had turn yellow and catching pocket granite scratches the phones under the case.
    What is pocket granite? Is that another term for pocket lint?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    How about an Apple clear case for the Max.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    £45?!  What's happened with the pricing?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Would have bought one from Apple if they offered, got an aftermarket brand that looks identical since Apple didn't.  Paid much less than $39.  Maybe when/if this one yellows or wears out I'll get an Apple one.  For now, their inability to get the Customer what the Customer wants cost them $39 of my dollars.  I bet I'm not the only one.  

• Reply 7 of 7
    https://daringfireball.net/2018/12/worlds_shortest_review_of_apples_iphone_xr_clear_case

You can say $40 is too much for an iPhone case, but I’d say Apple’s $40 clear case is easily worth twice as much as the $20 clear cases I’ve tried. If I bought an XR and wanted to use a case, this is the case I would buy. It’s so good it makes me wonder why Apple doesn’t make clear cases like this one for the iPhone XS and XS Max.”

According to this reviewer, the $39 cost is WORTH IT.