Hands on with the new features in watchOS 5.1.2

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple just released watchOS 5.1.2 to Apple Watch owners with a litany of features despite numbering suggesting is is only a minor update. AppleInsider goes hands on, and shows you the big changes.

The new ECG app is far and away the most headline-worthy feature baked into watchOS 5.1.2, but there are a number of improvements and features that came along for the ride.

Relating to that ECG functionality, the Apple Watch is now able to monitor for atrial fibrillation throughout the day, and not just while running an electrocardiogram. Apple Watch already monitored for high and low heart rates, so this just adds additional background functionality.

With the update, the Apple Watch now has the functionality to access movie tickets, coupons, and rewards cards when tapped at an NFC reader, forgoing the need to open them directly.

Walkie Talkie availability can now be toggled from Control Center rather than from within the app itself.

The Infograph watch face gained eight new complications including Mail, Maps, Messages, Find My Friends, Home, News, Phone, and Remote. The relatively small amount of complications was a large complaint from early Apple Watch Series 4 adopters who were limited in what first-party complication worked on the new watch faces.

Lastly, you can now receive notifications and animated celebrations when you reach your daily max during an Activity competition.

Preceding the release of watchOS 5.1.2, Apple also released the latest versions of macOS, iOS, and tvOS.
n2itivguy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Even though Irregular Rhythm Notifications feature has been made available to all Apple Watch series, it does not work outside the U.S. even with USA selected in regional settings. Another disappointment... it’s not an ECG app, which as Apple warned is only available in the US and IS territories. 
    Scot1williamlondonchiaarthurba
  • Reply 2 of 40
    dude- resting heart rate of 100- either much more stressful environment than it appears, or you gotta get outside a bit more.
    gutengelGeorgeBMacracerhomie3boxcatcher
  • Reply 3 of 40
    This update is killing my battery quick!  iPhone XS Max is barely making it .  Around 4:00 pm est I’m usually around 70%.  Currently at 39%.  Apple needs to test  these updates a lot better ...
    edited December 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 40
    More Infograph complications, woot! Sweet, will be able to replace my old Utility face design in Infograph now.
  • Reply 5 of 40

This update is killing my battery quick!  iPhone XS Max is barely making it .  Around 4:00 pm est I’m usually around 70%.  Currently at 39%.  Apple needs to test  these updates a lot better ...
    How about you prove that there's a problem first, and that it wasn't all the downloading for updates?
    netmagemacseekerwilliamlondonbonobobmwhiteforgot usernamemike1
  • Reply 6 of 40
    New updates often do extra background processing to update data for new features or improvements.

Also what does that have to do with the Apple Watch?
    edited December 2018 caladanianmike1
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Seriously ... is there any point? ... probably not.
    williamlondonmike1
  • Reply 8 of 40
    I loved Apple for so many years, but more and more I'm reading news about Apple with the same feelings similar to reading something about, lets say, Audiosonic stereo sets.

That is: feeling absolutely nothing anymore.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I was hoping the update would fix the one thing I have a problem with on my new Watch 44mm v4.  It hasn't.

Whenever I ask it to time something, e.g. "five minutes" it invariable types on the screen ... 'I'll tap you when I am ready.'  Note there is no need to say 'Hey Siri when doing a timer on a watch.  It never does 'tap me later,' not that tapping me sometime later would be much help when cooking a fillet mignon on the grill!

Other earlier version Watches we have, start the timer countdown immediately as will Siri on an iPhone, iPad or even our HomePods.  Not this new watch ... After several retries, it will start the timer but rarely first go.  I am baffled.

Has anyone else ever seen this behavior?
    Maceman259
  • Reply 10 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I find the reverse.  Now after a full day my 44mm, Mk 4 is still 75% charged!
    Maceman259
  • Reply 11 of 40
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Latest update still didn’t fix walkie talkie functionality. Maybe it’s my unique use case of different phone versions and watch series? All software is on latest version - watch just refuses to connect. I think this could be a ‘killer app’ for Apple Watch ... if it worked.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    You can now start & pause workouts by pressing the crown & side button together.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Fatman said:
    Latest update still didn’t fix walkie talkie functionality. Maybe it’s my unique use case of different phone versions and watch series? All software is on latest version - watch just refuses to connect. I think this could be a ‘killer app’ for Apple Watch ... if it worked.
    No one I know is having problems.
    netmagenetmage
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Fatman said:
    As Walkie Talkie works perfectly on my Watch paired to my iPhone XMax to my wife Watch paired to her iPhoneX, you may just have a setup problem.
    netmage
  • Reply 15 of 40
    crabby said:
    dude- resting heart rate of 100- either much more stressful environment than it appears, or you gotta get outside a bit more.
    Seriously -- time to use that fancy Series 4 and log some jogs.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 40
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Still no stopwatch or sunrise/set complications. They really should have just shimmed the old complications in the new faces where possible and migrated them as they have time.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Verify if it’s doing some god damn housekeeping or apps are doing the same, like always and wait a day or two before commenting. Otherwise,  stop yapping about it. You’re comment is basic noise considering it’s the same type of yap that happens on every single damn update for 10 years. 
    StrangeDaysmike1
  • Reply 18 of 40
    A long ad in the middle of your video?

Note to self: don't waste time watching anymore AI videos.
    StrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Maceman259 Maceman259 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    As much as I love my Apple Watch & the new update I again had to unpair my Watch & pair again as the iMessage & Apple Pay selections on the Watch messages weren’t showing up. I actually had to do it twice today & I updated on Thursday. My message center was like I was replying back to other Apple customers as if they were And people. Ughhhh.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    netmage said:
    Still no stopwatch or sunrise/set complications. They really should have just shimmed the old complications in the new faces where possible and migrated them as they have time.
    Huh? I’m looking at the sunset/rise comp in Infograph right now, it came out with the 4.
    rattlhed