!!Destineer buys MacSoft!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
[quote]Macworld Daily News

Friday - January 31, 2003

Destineer buys MacSoft

By Jonny Evans

Mac-games publisher Destineer has acquired Infogrames' Mac-games subsidiary MacSoft.

Destineer has acquired all rights to the MacSoft brand and all MacSoft's existing and future products. Destineer has also acquired first rights to publish Mac versions of future Infogrames products. The majority of Infogrames' MacSoft employees will join Destineer immediately. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The president of Destineer is Peter Tamte, the original founder of MacSoft. Tamte left MacSoft to become Apple's senior director of worldwide consumer marketing. He later joined Bungie as executive vice president, creating Destineer following Microsoft's acquisition of the latter company. Macworld has an in-depth interview with Tamte, taken in October 2002.

Tamte said: "We are investing very aggressively in the Mac market right now because we believe Mac OS X, iLife and other new Apple products are energizing the Mac community."

Future Mac products from Destineer will no longer be published under the company's Bold imprint it uses to release Mac ports of Microsoft titles. All its future products will be published under the MacSoft imprint, effective immediately.

"MacSoft's titles from Infogrames and Microsoft this year will give MacSoft the strongest one-year line-up of games in the history of the Mac industry. 2003 is going to the a great year for Mac gamers," promised Tamte.

Destineer has already become an effective force in the Mac games industry with its release of popular Microsoft titles including Age of Empires II and Links Championship Edition. It will also release games such as Dungeon Siege and Halo this year.

Destineer plans to publish at least ten Macintosh games under its MacSoft label during 2003, including Master of Orion III, Neverwinter Nights, and at least six other titles that have not yet been announced.

MacCentral spoke with Destineer's Tamte about the deal, he said: "I've followed the Mac industry for a very long time, and I've just made a huge dollar commitment in investing in the Mac business. I'm excited about what Apple is doing, and what it means for gamers."

"I hope that when both industry veterans and consumers see a whole bunch of new MacSoft game boxes on store shelves in 2003, they'll recognize that the Mac market is swelling with opportunity," he said. <hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I think thats good news. So all software title that were going to be release under the Bold name like Halo will be released by Macsoft. The deal also state that macsoft also gets all games currently being developed as well as future infogames title. So I guess Mac soft will be releasing Unreal Tournament 2003.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Sounds good to me.