Apple issues second release of iOS 12.1.2

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2018
Apple has released a second build of iOS 12.1.2 to the public, replacing the first version that shipped just three days ago, though it is unclear exactly why a re-release of the iPhone-only update is being provided.

The update is available to download by accessing the Settings app then selecting General, followed by Software Update. Devices that have already updated to iOS 12.1.2 on Monday are not able to update to the second build of this iOS version, though those who have yet to install it are able to use the latest release.

Monday's release was build number 16C101, while the Thursday re-release is build 16C104.

It is unknown specifically why the update is being issued for a second time, but it is plausible the newer version has bug fixes and other minor adjustments that are not major enough to warrant a new version number. It is also possible the build includes items that were missing from the earlier release.

IOS 12.1.2's main feature is that it fixes problems with eSIM support in the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max, as well as fixing cellular connectivity issues with devices used in Turkey.

It is also likely that the release has elements relating to Apple's patent fight with Qualcomm. Last week, Apple promised some form of software update which would allow Apple to legally continue iPhone sales in China, but Qualcomm insists Apple is still running afoul of the court ruling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I think Apple is losing its marbles...
    MisterKitzroger73lenny491dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Must be very minor, because after doing the original 12.1.2 update, the "new" one isn't showing as available for me.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I’m on the 16C101 build of 12.1.2 from earlier this week. I did check for an update again (just in case it may have allowed it), but no go (not surprised). I’ll just have to wait till 12.1.3 official drops. Oh well, no biggy. 
  • Reply 4 of 21
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    Doesn't this sort of scenario usually point to installation issues?  If you've already installed it, you don't need a version with a fixed installer.
    asdasdJFC_PASpamSandwichgilly33
  • Reply 5 of 21
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    I was able to update my up to date iPhone 8 with this.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    maltz said:
    Doesn't this sort of scenario usually point to installation issues?  If you've already installed it, you don't need a version with a fixed installer.
    That would be my first guess. The fact that they kept the version number the same and only bumped the build number leads me to believe that the runtime code is functionally identical between the builds. But only Apple's software team knows for sure since they are the ones who establish the rules around version control and what changes constitute changing the three version numbers.

There is nothing significant or unusual about this in terms of Apple's software development process, especially for a code base the size of iOS and with continuous integration and continuous release processes in place. No marbles are rolling anywhere. Now, if they start having to stop, revert, or rollback releases already in customer's hands, e.g., the botched Windows October 2108 release, then you should start to worry.  
    djkfishergilly33
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I updated on Monday and was offered the update again today. Origional iPhone X model.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    TomKat said:
    I updated on Monday and was offered the update again today. Origional iPhone X model.
    Pretty sure same for me... iPhone SE.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I have an iPhone 7 AT&T iOs 12.1.1 before the update on Monday while updating to iOS 12.1.2 via iTunes on a MBP Mojave 10.14.2 experienced a hang on iPhone screen showing a lost connection via Lighting cable and a iTunes freezings requiring a Force Guit of iTunes and a restart of the MBP to recover and complete the iOS 12.1.2 update successfully.
    I updated to the new version of iOS 12.1.2 today without incedent

• Reply 10 of 21
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    The 12.1.2 update available to me is 16C101. The 16C104 hasn't shown up yet for me. 

I guess I'll try tomorrow. 
  • Reply 11 of 21
    after iOS12.1.2, many apps in my 6S is not working. it was working well in previous version.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    "Devices that have already updated to iOS 12.1.2 on Monday are not able to update to the second build of this iOS version"
    Available via iTunes.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I think Apple is losing its marbles...
    Actually, I thought that I was...

(When it popped up for install I thought "Didn't I just do this?   Am I losing it?  Is this what senility feels like?")
    cgWerks
  • Reply 14 of 21
    An0nAn0n Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Lets take it up a notch.  On 12.1.2 real release which was build 16C101 check your phone, do you have SMS Text Forwarding under Messages preference anymore? There are many more defects that will hit you with Messages, FaceTime, etc on the real 12.1.2.

This is one bugged out version and trying to cover it up with another release with the same version is 🐎💩.

Does Fake 12.1.2 fix this? Who the flock knows as those of us who upgraded to the real 12.1.2 can't get the fake 12.1.2.

Seriously, what is the difference between a beta release and a final release anymore with Apple?  Absolutely nothing but the build number because quality at Apple is job number... wait it was just Jobs, Steve Jobs. Quality at Apple died Oct 5, 2011,

.... and I'll be singing Bye Bye Mr. Apple Pie.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    after iOS12.1.2, many apps in my 6S is not working. it was working well in previous version.
    Which apps? More details, please. I also have a 6S.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I ordered a brand new iPhone XR YESTERDAY, DECEMBER 20, received it via express shipping TODAY DECEMBER 21.  In the Apple store TODAY, iOS 12.1.2 update 16C101 was pushed to my phone.  No 16C104 as of December 21 for me.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    An0n said:
    Lets take it up a notch.  On 12.1.2 real release which was build 16C101 check your phone, do you have SMS Text Forwarding under Messages preference anymore? There are many more defects that will hit you with Messages, FaceTime, etc on the real 12.1.2.

This is one bugged out version and trying to cover it up with another release with the same version is 🐎💩.

Does Fake 12.1.2 fix this? Who the flock knows as those of us who upgraded to the real 12.1.2 can't get the fake 12.1.2.

Seriously, what is the difference between a beta release and a final release anymore with Apple?  Absolutely nothing but the build number because quality at Apple is job number... wait it was just Jobs, Steve Jobs. Quality at Apple died Oct 5, 2011,

.... and I'll be singing Bye Bye Mr. Apple Pie.
    I agree with you about quality dying Oct 5 2011. And not just about this thread. Security, stability, efficiency have all declined. As a tech support agent, i seen and reset numerous ransomware-infected iOS devices. And yet Sales people still peddle that dopey safe digital sandbox line as a security panacea to unsuspecting customers
  • Reply 18 of 21
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    John0415 said:
    An0n said:
    Seriously, what is the difference between a beta release and a final release anymore with Apple?  Absolutely nothing but the build number because quality at Apple is job number... wait it was just Jobs, Steve Jobs. Quality at Apple died Oct 5, 2011, ...
    I agree with you about quality dying Oct 5 2011. And not just about this thread. Security, stability, efficiency have all declined. As a tech support agent, i seen and reset numerous ransomware-infected iOS devices. And yet Sales people still peddle that dopey safe digital sandbox line as a security panacea to unsuspecting customers
    I wouldn't say quality died, but got relegated to a lower position than job 1. In comparison to other OSs, it's still quite good. But, no, it isn't impervious.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    An0nAn0n Posts: 2unconfirmed, member

larryjw said:
    The 12.1.2 update available to me is 16C101. The 16C104 hasn't shown up yet for me. 

I guess I'll try tomorrow. 
    Unfortunately at this point the fake 12.1.2 aka build 16C104 won't show because the system registers you as having 12.1.2. 
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I would rather they bump the version number anytime a re-release comes out, not just build numbers. For as often as this happens they won't be running out of numbers and it may save confusion for the mere mortals...🤓