New Monoprice Thunderbolt 3 Dual DisplayPort Docking Station also works with USB 3.1 type ...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited September 2020
Monoprice unveiled a slew of accessories ahead of this week's CES, including the Thunderbolt 3 Dual DisplayPort Docking Station, which isn't just limited to the higher-speed connectivity, and alters performance when plugged into a computer with only the slower USB 3.1 Type C.

The front view.
The front view.

On a Thunderbolt 3 system the dock can handle two 4K monitors running at 60 hertz. Other ports options include gigabit Ethernet, 3.5mm sound output, three USB-A ports, and and two USB-C ports. The USB-C ports top out at 10 gigabits when connected to a computer with Thunderbolt 3.

The product also delivers 60 watts of power, enough to supply the 13-inch MacBook Pro, and charge a 15-inch MacBook Pro at a slower rate than the standard 87W model.

Apparently using a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller, the dock is still good for a computer limited to USB 3.1 type C. Physical connectivity remains the same, but dual-monitor resolution drops to 1080p at 60 hertz, and the USB-C ports peak at 5 gigabits.

Monoprice Thunderbolt 3 dock

Monoprice didn't produce an exact release date, but said its new product slate should start shipping this quarter and "throughout 2019." The Thunderbolt 3 Dual DisplayPort Docking Station will cost $179.99.

AppleInsider will be attending the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 8 through January 11 where we're expecting 5G devices, HomeKit, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Bring on the TB3 devices that impersonate USB 3 devices as-needed. This is a big step forward in the One Port to Rule Them All strategy. 

Hopefully the last last few years of TB3-only devices will quickly be overshadowed by a landslide of TB3/USB 3 combo devices. 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    riclfriclf Posts: 15member
    All these docks are just hijacking you for cash. They are totally overpriced, opportunistic products taking advantage that Apple is providing computers with only TB3 ports. These dock makers remind me of a corner store charging $20 for water during a hurricane. They are all dogs for cash.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    riclf said:
    All these docks are just hijacking you for cash. They are totally overpriced, opportunistic products taking advantage that Apple is providing computers with only TB3 ports. These dock makers remind me of a corner store charging $20 for water during a hurricane. They are all dogs for cash.
    If you don't need/want a dock, a $8 USB-C to DisplayPort cable will do. Different people have different needs and/or use cases.
    stompydocno42
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    riclf said:
    These are good for those who have a desktop setup but also travel. I have a similar dock from HP (that also is designed for TB3 but has a fallback for USB-C) at my office. I have a second monitor, power cord, Ethernet, and some cables “permanently” connected. When I get to my desk I just connect the dock to the TB3 port. When I leave, I have just one thing to unplug. 
    stompy
  • Reply 5 of 9
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    kpom said:
    riclf said:
    These are good for those who have a desktop setup but also travel. I have a similar dock from HP (that also is designed for TB3 but has a fallback for USB-C) at my office. I have a second monitor, power cord, Ethernet, and some cables “permanently” connected. When I get to my desk I just connect the dock to the TB3 port. When I leave, I have just one thing to unplug. 
    Exactly. We have 20 or so Mac laptops at the office, all using TB2 or TB3 docking stations (depending on vintage) with single or double external monitor setups, wired ethernet, keyboard/mouse, and if TB3, charging power. This is an extremely productive setup.

That said, this new Monoprice TB3 dock would seem to undercut its competition by at least $50.
    stompy
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Will 60W keep charging a 15” MBP while under load, or prevent it from draining at least? If so this might be a good dock for two 30” ACDs with a couple mDP to DP adapters. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Will 60W keep charging a 15” MBP while under load, or prevent it from draining at least? If so this might be a good dock for two 30” ACDs with a couple mDP to DP adapters. 
    A 15-inch MBP when both the CPU and GPU are under maximum load will very slightly drain the battery when plugged into 60W a bit more than a percent per hour. My guess is it will run for 3-4 days like this before it doesn't have enough power.

Semi-related, I've never drained the battery when slamming the CPU and eGPU, with integrated graphics handling the MBP screen.
    edited January 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    This looks very similar to the Startech Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station. I wonder if Startech actually makes this? 

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/thunderbolt-3-docking-station~TB3DKDPMAW

edited January 2019
  • Reply 9 of 9
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    It looks like a very nice dock, at a fairly reasonable price (lower than most), that will hopefully allow me to connect to Ethernet and power charge over a single cable.  The only thing missing for me would be a 10G ethernet port, which would be a delightful bonus, and allow me to take advantage of Thunderbolt speeds built into the Mac over an ethernet network with longer wiring spacings than Thunderbolt supports.