Hands on with Lutron HomeKit Fan Controller

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
Lutron is set to become the first manufacturer to get a HomeKit fan controller to market and while we were at the 2019 Consumer Electronics Show, AppleInsider went hands-on to test it out.

Lutron HomeKit fan controller
Lutron HomeKit fan controller

Update: The Lutron Smart Fan Controller is now avaiable through Amazon for $60 with HomeKit supported at launch.

During CES 2018, iDevices was touting its own HomeKit fan controller, but a year later it still has yet to come to fruition. Jump to 2019 and Lutron is poised to steal the crown. Its new HomeKit fan controller, which AppleInsider got to try out for ourselves, seems like a great first-entry into this vertical of HomeKit devices.

A fan controller has been needed for some time and we are thrilled someone has filled the void.

The device itself is a simple in-wall switch that allows you to adjust the fan to off, low, medium, medium-high, and high. A bottom button takes the fan directly to off, while a top button takes you to max speed. A set of arrows in the center can move the speed up and down. A round button in the center can be programmed as a favorite for your preferred speed.

Lutron Pico Fan Control Remote
Lutron pico remote for fan control

To go with, Lutron is announcing a new handheld pico remote that looks identical but isn't wall mounted, very much in the same vein as its lighting setup.

Everything worked as well as expected, but costs to add up for those who also need to control lights integrated into the fan. The Lutron Fan Controller has no way of interfacing with those and will require a second lighting switch to be installed. In a worst case scenario, this may involve running additional wires from the fan.

AppleInsider will be attending the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 8 through January 11 where we're expecting 5G devices, HomeKit, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.
ynppny

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I’ve been waiting on a product to fill this exact need for me, and even better that I use Lutron HomeKit lightswitches already! When will this be available is all I need to know. Price too, but I’ll buy it pretty much no matter what.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rainmaker said:
    I’ve been waiting on a product to fill this exact need for me, and even better that I use Lutron HomeKit lightswitches already! When will this be available is all I need to know. Price too, but I’ll buy it pretty much no matter what.
    Video said March
    $80 for wall. 
    $42 for Pico remote. 
    rainmaker
  • Reply 3 of 14
    This is great but why the "Bridge" all my other homekit devices do not require a bridge to work they are all on wifi and work great. I've avoided the Lutron stuff for a while because of the need for this bridge to make their stuff work.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    UncleEliotUncleEliot Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    jcato77 said:
    This is great but why the "Bridge" all my other homekit devices do not require a bridge to work they are all on wifi and work great. I've avoided the Lutron stuff for a while because of the need for this bridge to make their stuff work.
    Sadly that's how Lutron's Caseta ecosystem works but I can say that their little bridge and devices have performed excellently for me since I installed them throughout my house 18 months ago. I'm using lots of light switches, lamp switches, pico remotes, and Serena shades. One unexpected limitation I found is their arbitrary 50 Lutron device limit per bridge. I found this out when swapping out the final 5 switches in my house and had to purchase a second bridge. Their iOS app only supports 1 bridge at a time so I just set them up independently and use HomeKit to tie it all together.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Does this work with any remote controlled fan? What about fans with dimmable lights?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    rainmaker said:
    If you’re gonna comment, you ought to at least watch the video in which all that info was given.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    jcato77 said:
    Well, Lutron isn’t alone in requiring a bridge.  At least my August door lock also requires one.  And Lutron’s can at least control a bunch of devices so not that big a deal.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    The article doesn’t mention another great use for those pico controllers - as an additional wall switch!  Lutron’s Caseta light switches also can use those pico controllers and the company sells a frame and wall plate with which you can create a totally new wall switch or replace that second existing switch for a given light.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    tjwolf said:
    jcato77 said:
    Well, Lutron isn’t alone in requiring a bridge.  At least my August door lock also requires one.  And Lutron’s can at least control a bunch of devices so not that big a deal.
    Well crap I do have the August bridge so I'm not off the hook completely. All my light switches and outlets are hub free which is nice. Interesting that 9to5Mac is reporting that this unit will not have HomeKit when launched. They just reviewed it over on their site and they said only Alexa and Google Home to start. No word on when HomeKit availabilty so different models?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    tjwolf said:
    rainmaker said:
    If you’re gonna comment, you ought to at least watch the video in which all that info was given.
    Admittedly, I am loathe to watch videos when I can just read. Seems at the ripe old age of 43 I am a relic in this regard. My shortcoming I suppose, but dare I suggest that AppleInsider’s write-up should have included this basic info such as price and release date without the need to both read the article and watch the video.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    jcato77 said:
    tjwolf said:
    jcato77 said:
    Well crap I do have the August bridge so I'm not off the hook completely. All my light switches and outlets are hub free which is nice. Interesting that 9to5Mac is reporting that this unit will not have HomeKit when launched. They just reviewed it over on their site and they said only Alexa and Google Home to start. No word on when HomeKit availabilty so different models?
    I just read that 9to5 article. That seems strange given they have got to be making a killing on their HomeKit offerings, and they already have the hub for it. Additionally, the switch and the pico remote look just like the HomeKit versions.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    chakajon said:
    rainmaker said:
    Video said March
    $80 for wall. 
    $42 for Pico remote. 
    Thank you, time is short and I would rather read at my own pace than watch a video. Thought they would have included that in the article if the info was already public.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chakajon said:
    rainmaker said:
    Video said March
    $80 for wall. 
    $42 for Pico remote. 
    Also, I just say that $42 for the remote is ridiculous given the normal remote is approximately $15 on Amazon. Is functionality can’t be that much different. Just a little more price gouging for Homekit accessories — can’t believe everyone isn’t making accessories given the lucrative market it is.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cornchip said:
    Does this work with any remote controlled fan? What about fans with dimmable lights?
    From what I’ve heard, as long as the lights are on a separate switch, it will not be a problem in implementation.