New Alpine CarPlay receivers include unit with 9-inch floating touchscreen

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Alpine is launching two new CarPlay-compatible receivers in March, led by the iLX-F259, which features a rare 9-inch capacitive touchscreen.

The iLX-F259.
The iLX-F259.

Further unlike most aftermarket add-ons with CarPlay, the F259 "floats" in front of a car's dashboard. The design isn't purely cosmetic, since it enables simpler installation and custom positioning -- there are four tilt presets for the mount, helping to align with the dashboard and the driver's point of view.

The receiver supports Bluetooth, SiriusXM, and one default rear view camera input, though more can be added. CarPlay requires connecting an iPhone to the receiver's USB port.

The other receiver is the iLX-W650, which uses a 7-inch capacitive touchscreen and more conventional mounting. It is just 2.4 inches thick though, which may let it fit in a wide range of vehicles.

The iLX-W650.
The iLX-W650.

Where depth isn't a problem, the unit can stack with Alpine's KTA-450 amp using a bundled bracket, still coming out thinner than a regular double-DIN chassis.

More W650 features include Bluetooth, SiriusXM support, and three 4-volt pre-outs. Camera inputs must be bought separately.

Alpine will sell the F259 for $800, and the W650 for $500.

AppleInsider is at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas from Jan. 8 through Jan. 11, where we're expecting 5G devices, HomeKit, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Don't ever buy new vehicle without having embedded CarPlay in it's Infotainment system and works seamlessly. For old vehicles, add on like this Pioneer aftermarket system is all good.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The main change from last year’s nine inch model is a switch from a low res resistive to capacitive display.  Must have got a lot of negative feedback. thing is though, if you are spending $800 you would expect wireless CarPlay.
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Any word on power output with the add-on amp? It would be great if you could get them to supply not only the "Max" power rating but also a "real" power spec with all channels driven, full bandwidth, at a stated distortion level.
    kpom
  • Reply 4 of 14
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I thought Alpine made a single DIN floater?   When I last looked it was the only one in the market and I was considering it for a classic car.  Is this a replacement for that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I don’t think they can make these (things) attractive, this one certainly isn’t...

There are better ways to spend $500 on an older vehicle...

I’ll stick with my iPad or iPhone for navigation, and wait for CarPlay in my next new vehicle.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I am starting to think I will just get a low end Sony head unit with wired carplay. The Bluetooth stack sucks but it will be better than the stock Bluetooth in my 2010 car.  It just isnt worth spending 10-20 % of the value of the car on a head unit (plus wiring and install, which actually exceeds the cost of the low end Sony).
    the Sony annoyingly requires old fashioned pairing for Bluetooth every time a new phone is connected, but on the upside it has a physical knob for volume.  Most others have onscreen or tiny up and down buttons.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    wood1208 said:
    Don't ever buy new vehicle without having embedded CarPlay in it's Infotainment system and works seamlessly. For old vehicles, add on like this Pioneer aftermarket system is all good.
    I get what you're saying, but not all vehicles are crippled or have a hard time upgrading the head unit that are new. My 2019 Tacoma took an Alpine ILX-207 just fine. I used a Maestro i-Datalink adapter which retained all of my controls and added car feature sets as well. In a lot of cases the i-Datalink can handle a lot of the systems that the built-in units handle, such as heated seats are HVAC. 
    wandersowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

emoeller said:
    I thought Alpine made a single DIN floater?   When I last looked it was the only one in the market and I was considering it for a classic car.  Is this a replacement for that?
    I'm fairly certain Pioneer started making one again.

Link: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-3400NEX
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 9 of 14
    You can pick up the Pioneer Z9150BT for AUD$744 at the moment. It has wireless CarPlay. I expect a similar sale in the US would be around $500
    Frankies’ deal even includes a free reversing camera.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I purchased the Pioneer AVH-1440NEX for $259 to install in my wife’s 2006 car.  I added an adapter to retain steering wheel controls for $50 more.  DVD, CarPlay, HD radio, tons of inputs (backup camera, AV, amp out, etc.). “Only” wired CarPlay, but I preferred that anyway for charging the phone. Using Waze or the like gobbles up plenty of battery life. The wired connection is rock solid and instant for providing handsfree use. This deck still supports Bluetooth audio and hands free Bluetooth, just not wireless CarPlay. 

In our state, it is illegal to be fiddling with a smart phone while driving or even stalled in traffic. Wired CarPlay has the added bonus of preventing one from being tempted. I routed the wire to the glove box for good measure. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Why would they not incorporate wireless CarPlay into this? Wasn't alpine the first company to release wireless carplay aftermarket head units? I was really hoping to see more than a couple of new wireless carplay stereos released at CES. Looks like I still only have about 2 options to choose from.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    wood1208 said:
    Shitz...as a Tesla owner, I don’t give a crap about CarPlay really. My X5 with wireless CarPlay is used pretty much for Bluetooth phone calls. With the 6.5” screen iPhone mounted in front of me, I can tell Siri to do anything! 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    @entropys does your alpine work as advertised? Would you recommend it?
    Sorry for being off topic.

I want to change the stereo from my car for a while now.

I have settled with Alpine. Though I'm lost which unit would be the best choice.
    Most internet reviews are just full of ... it's only hype. When I read some real
    customer feedback I got discouraged.

After searching awhile I've found a different blog. They sure tell it how it is. I've read that review and got me thinking. Is the Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309 really that bad?

How bad is that 480p? Is the price worth it?

Any thoughts of wisdom?