VLC plans AirPlay support for Android as app nears 3B downloads

Posted:
in General Discussion
Videolan, developer of the ubiquitous VLC media player, is looking to bake support for Apple's AirPlay protocol into its main app, a move that would allow Android users to stream content to compatible devices like Apple TV.

VLC
VLC download counter at CES 2019. | Source: Variety

While a release timeline has yet to be announced, Videolan lead developer Jean-Baptiste Kempf said VLC users might see AirPlay support appear in the player's main app in about a month, reports Variety.

Whether VLC will support AirPlay or the latest AirPlay 2 specification remains unclear. Unveiled at WWDC in 2017 and released nearly a year later, AirPlay 2 is Apple's next-generation wireless streaming protocol that enables synchronized multi-room audio playback and other advanced features.

Adoption of AirPlay 2 has been slow going, with only a handful of major audio hardware manufacturers promising support for the technology. Late last week, however, Samsung in a surprise announcement said it would add both AirPlay 2 and a native iTunes app to certain 2018 and 2019 television models. Major TV makers followed suit at CES, with LG, Sony and Vizio promising AirPlay 2 compatibility in upcoming products.

Demand for Apple's technology could get a boost with integration in apps like VLC, cross-platform software that exposes the protocol to new demographics like Android device users. And for VLC, that audience is substantial.

Kempf said Videolan expects all-time downloads to hit the three billion mark on Friday. He also noted that in addition to AirPlay functionality, the VLC team is researching ways to build a more complete media library system that simplifies the transition from iTunes. That said, the company is not looking to compete with the likes of Plex or Kodi, which offer comprehensive tools for managing large content libraries, according to the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I'm honestly surprised by this. I thought the market would have alternatives to AirPlay 2 that were just as good. Is AirPlay 2 really taking the crown in terms of features and performance? If so, congrats to Apple.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Creative counter, by the way. Kudos to their creativity. :) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    On the McDonald's's signs in my city it says "Over 99 billion served." And it's been sitting at 99 billion for ten years. At that rate it might take a few years for VLC media player to hit 3 billion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I'm honestly surprised by this. I thought the market would have alternatives to AirPlay 2 that were just as good. Is AirPlay 2 really taking the crown in terms of features and performance? If so, congrats to Apple.
    Google Cast is one comparable alternative and the most well-known one. They both accomplish most of the same things but do so a bit differently.
    sandtech.co/2018/05/29/explained-the-differences-between-apple-airplay-2-and-google-cast/
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 13
    VLC is great, but I’m not sure how they make money.  

AirPlay seems like something that would be supported at the OS level than the application level.  Will TV manufacturers use VLC to gain support for the protocol? Some goes for vehicle infotainment systems...

Is it even possible for VLC on iOS to support Google Cast?  My guess is no.

Cross platform compatibility is never a bad thing, but the news is curious.  The Apple “walled garden” doesn’t seem quite as high anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    VLC is great, but I’m not sure how they make money.  
    They have premium support and accept donations: https://www.videolan.org/videolan/partners.html
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Not sure what happened to Gator's link (the editor ate it?), but here it is:
    https://suitsandtech.co/2018/05/29/explained-the-differences-between-apple-airplay-2-and-google-cast/

williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Not sure what happened to Gator's link (the editor ate it?), but here it is:
    https://suitsandtech.co/2018/05/29/explained-the-differences-between-apple-airplay-2-and-google-cast/

Thanks...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    Google Cast is one comparable alternative and the most well-known one. They both accomplish most of the same things but do so a bit differently.
    sandtech.co/2018/05/29/explained-the-differences-between-apple-airplay-2-and-google-cast/
    Except one takes you personal data.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    How so? Example: You know how the default setting for collecting usage data/crash reports on your Apple TV is set to "On"? Well Google Cast is the same, and just as with Apple TV can be turned "Off".

I'm not sure if using Airplay in and of itself also creates usage data that flows to Apple or not, nor what controls there are if it does, but I suspect all the settings are within the AppleTV menus. I'm kinda familiar with ATV but not Airplay. I also don't know if VLC gets usage or crash reports from Airplay integration. Could probably look into it if you wanted to. 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    Strangely, that's a feature (with benefits?) to some people, but even weirder are those even stranger souls who run around the internets shilling for that evil fucking corporation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    But but...fandroids don’t care about Apple related services/features? 😂😂😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,686member
    fallenjt said:
    But but...fandroids don’t care about Apple related services/features? 😂😂😂
    They certainly don't but if you use both platforms, there are obvious advantages to having non Apple gear handle Apple streaming services. Good for consumers.
    gatorguy