Apple's health plans turn to women with hiring of famous obstetrician

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has reportedly hired obstetrician Dr. Christine Curry, indicating that its health efforts are expanding beyond fitness and heart conditions to include women's issues.

Fitbit already offers women's health tracking on the iPhone.
Fitbit already offers women's health tracking on the iPhone.

Though Curry's LinkedIn profile still lists her as with Kaiser Permanente, she is indeed at Apple, CNBC sources said on Thursday. One source indicated that despite her specialty, Curry will be tackling topics across all of the company's health teams.

Obstetricians specialize in pregnancy and other matters linked to a woman's reproductive system. Apple has paid relatively little attention to the field so far, though the iOS Health app does include the ability to track menstruation, ovulation and other data. Typically, women must turn to clinics or third-party HealthKit apps to actually record the information.

One speculative possibility is that Apple wants to offer easier first-party tracking, perhaps even with new Apple Watch apps. One of the company's rivals in the wearable arena, Fitbit, lets women track their periods and fertility windows, even receiving push notifications two days before a period is expected to start.

Curry has a higher profile than most of her peers. She helped steer a response to a Zika outbreak while at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, leading to expert status and a profile in Cosmopolitan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    This is really good. I hope Apple helps women lead healthier lives.
    jeffythequick
  • Reply 2 of 7
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Women's Health is one of those issues that needs everything it can get, so this is good news. Even if it's not her main objective in this role, it can't hurt to have someone with that kind of background on the team.

And before anyone jumps in, yes there are Men's Health issues that also need attention, and hopefully they'll hire a Urologist with experience in those, too. But I don't know how they're going to track prostate health with the Apple Watch.

jeffythequick
  • Reply 3 of 7
    anome said:

Women's Health is one of those issues that needs everything it can get, so this is good news. Even if it's not her main objective in this role, it can't hurt to have someone with that kind of background on the team.

And before anyone jumps in, yes there are Men's Health issues that also need attention, and hopefully they'll hire a Urologist with experience in those, too. But I don't know how they're going to track prostate health with the Apple Watch.

I’ll jump in...
    I totally agree with you.  I’m married to a woman, and a woman for a mother, and so I’m glad that they’re going after all health issues, and those that affect women exclusively.  I want them to be around for a long time.  I also like the work they’re doing on diabetes, being a T1D for 47 years myself.  It is one of the great things about technology being a help in peoples’ lives.
    watto_cobraanome
  • Reply 4 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I wonder if Curry ever thought she would be one day working for Apple? It’s always amazing what paths a person’s life can take.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    anome said:

LOL...  Easy:   Keep track of how often you use it and, how long you hold it, shake it and squeeze it. 
    watto_cobraanome
  • Reply 6 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Not to minimize anything in the article or her qualifications, but, in addition:   her current employer, Kaiser Permanente is known as a leader in lifestyle medicine -- which fits in well with Apple's thrust.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    anome said:

LOL...  Easy:   Keep track of how often you use it and, how long you hold it, shake it and squeeze it. 
    What if you use the other hand?
    GeorgeBMacanome