WWDC 2019 likely a lock for June 3 to June 7 in San Jose

Posted:
in General Discussion
Though unconfirmed, this year's Worldwide Developers Conference will almost certainly be held between June 3 and June 7 at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, Calif.

WWDC 2018

Apple has hosted the event at McEnery for two years running, and in the first half of June for over a decade. The Center has already booked the O'Reilly Velocity conference for June 10-13, and the Sensors Expo for June 25-27, leaving Apple little alternative.

Most importantly the City of San Jose is already listing a "Team San Jose 2019 WWDC" event for June 6, believed to be WWDC Bash celebrations. The gathering will take place on San Carlos Street between 6 and 11 p.m. local time, with estimated attendance as high as 7,000.

The details were highlighted by MacRumors, which also cited an anonymous source as saying a major annual event is scheduled for McEnery the week of June 3.

WWDC 2019 will presumably feature the next major versions of iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS, plus other software and service announcements. The company sometimes uses the event to showcase new hardware, but that isn't guaranteed.

The company could use the event to launch its video streaming service. That's typically expected to be announced by mid-April however, if not earlier. It's investing $1 billion or more in original shows and movies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Apple is pretty clueless about WWDC organization - holding it in SF was bad enough cost-wise, San Jose is arguably worse. The whole thing should be opened up to more people and should be moved to LV where there are much better (cheaper/closer) hotel options and lots of conf space. Apple Lunches at WWDC suck big time. The entire affair seems to be contrived to cause as least inconvenience to Apple brass as possible.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple is pretty clueless about WWDC organization - holding it in SF was bad enough cost-wise, San Jose is arguably worse. The whole thing should be opened up to more people and should be moved to LV where there are much better (cheaper/closer) hotel options and lots of conf space. Apple Lunches at WWDC suck big time. The entire affair seems to be contrived to cause as least inconvenience to Apple brass as possible.
    Jesus H. Christ, Moses in the reeds, Mohammed on his flying carpet! Now I’ve seen it all. Did I actually read this piece of crap? My head hurts.
    edited February 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lkrupp said:
    Jesus H. Christ, Moses in the reeds, Mohammed on his flying carpet! Now I’ve seen it all. Did I actually read this piece of crap? My head hurts.
    Have you been to a WWDC?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Where do most of the developers live? Apple employees obviously live in that area so does it make sense to fly out 1000s of engineers to LV, rent 1000s of  hotel rooms for x days , and ship any needed equipment?
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 9
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    jungmark said:
    Where do most of the developers live? Apple employees obviously live in that area so does it make sense to fly out 1000s of engineers to LV, rent 1000s of  hotel rooms for x days , and ship any needed equipment?

Beat me to it. The idea actually sounds more expensive. He must live close to LV?
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lkrupp said:
     can never ever please everyone!  Every product; release; event; you name it. There's always a negative spin out out there by the likes of that comment. Very frustrating but everyone has the right to their opinion I guess. Just exhausts me to read. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    lkrupp said:
    stop attacking people!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Has the homeless epidemic in SF also forced Apple to pull out?

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/7/3/17531240/convention-moscone-center-homeless-crime
  • Reply 9 of 9
    spice-boy said:
    lkrupp said:
    stop attacking people!

You mean like what you just did?