ATI RAGE PRO or ATI RAGE 128 better?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking to upgrade my 8600. Anyone remember which card is better?

I've seen the ati 7000 for around $110.00 vs around $60.00 for the ati rage pro. Would I be better off buying a ATI rage 7000 at twice the cost?

Also, where is a good place to buy the older ati rage video cards?

Thanks in advance to all who answer...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ATI Rage Pro isn't going to be much better than what you already have now. Although it might have more memory.

Rage 128 is getting up in the years, but it is still a pretty good videocard.

If you plan on hacking Mac OS X onto that thing your really going to want to spring for the Radeon. And ATI has a rebate on the Radeon 7000 where if you send in ANY old videocard you can get $40 off I believe.

I am serious when they say ANY, a customer sent in the videocard from her Macintosh IIcx and got the rebate.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Look for a used original PCI Radeon Mac Edition. It's kinda confusing, but ATI made two different Radeon PCI video cards - a plain Radeon and the current Radeon 7000. The original Radeon is quite a bit faster. My brother has one and it's really good. However, I heard of some driver issue that makes the S-Video and the DVI on the card not work, so you can only use VGA monitors on it.

If you can't find an original Radeon or you want something cheaper, just get a used Radeon 7000. There are usually a few on eBay that aren't too expensive. And the 7000 is still quite a bit better than the Rage 128, although the Rage 128 is MUCH better than the Rage Pro. For comparison, a 233 MHz G3 with a 4 MB Rage Pro was crappy in Unreal Tournament unless I turned all the effects down to minimum... on a 400 MHz G3 with a Rage 128 it was very fast and smooth. The Radeon helps smooth it out a lot more though.