Apple promises 1,200 new tech jobs in San Diego by 2022

Posted:
in General Discussion
During the next three years Apple will bring 1,200 more jobs to the San Diego area, with some hires coming by the end of 2019, the company announced on Wednesday with the help of San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer.

San Diego Seaport Village

The news was revealed at the city's UTC Apple store, according to 10News. The company promised 1,000 more San Diego workers in December, meaning it raised its total by 200.

Recruiting will focus on hardware and software engineers, city officials said. Anonymous 10News sources added that Apple is aiming to occupy a building southwest of Qualcomm's campus in University City, but Apple was quiet on the topic, commenting only that while it is planning to build a new campus, it hasn't settled on a location.

"Apple has been a part of San Diego for nearly 20 years through our retail presence and small, fast-growing teams - and with this new investment we are proud to play an even greater part in the city's future," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement. "You don't have to try too hard to convince people that San Diego is a great place to live, work and do business, and we're confident our employees will have a great home among the community there."

Faulconer remarked that he "invited" Apple to grow in San Diego. It's unknown if the company is being given any tax breaks, something that's become increasingly controversial in the U.S. as people question the benefits of funding multinational corporations.

Apple has numerous offices scattered around California, primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area. If the company is eyeing real estate near Qualcomm, it may be hoping to poach that company's workers for its 5G modem plans. The two companies are embroiled in a worldwide legal battle that has all but excluded Qualcomm modems from iPhones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    time to brush up on my Swift...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Sounds like Apple is building ModemTown, with the goal of luring a lot of Qualcomm employees away.

Or not.
    tokyojimudewme
  • Reply 3 of 12
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Awesome. California ♥️ Apple
  • Reply 4 of 12
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    U. C. San Diego is a tremendous resource. San Diego is a great choice for expansion. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    DrmikelDrmikel Posts: 3member
    I hope Apple plans on paying their people exorbitantly as San Diego is an incredibly expensive place to live!  Someplace like Reno or Las Vegas would make it much easier for their employees to be able to afford to buy a house and escape California taxes.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    Drmikel said:
    I hope Apple plans on paying their people exorbitantly as San Diego is an incredibly expensive place to live!  Someplace like Reno or Las Vegas would make it much easier for their employees to be able to afford to buy a house and escape California taxes.
    San Diego is much cheaper than the Bay Area. And a much better quality of life than Reno or Vegas. So it's a happy medium.
    minicoffeetyler82dewme
  • Reply 7 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Drmikel said:
    San Diego isn't that expensive of a place to live. If you want to live in Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, La Jolla, or certain areas in Poway, sure it's expensive. Other parts of San Diego are very affordable. 
    edited March 2019 minicoffeetyler82
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Drmikel said:
    California has income taxes (which aren’t that high for those making around $100k- 6%) but Nevada has much higher property taxes that eat away at any gain you might have by not paying income tax. The myth that you can escape taxes is just that. 
    edited March 2019 dewme
  • Reply 9 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    If Apple built facilities in Alaska or New Hampshire then the employees there would have to pay 0% sales tax and 0% income tax. (Is the New Hampshire slogan "Live Free or Die" referring to taxes? I.e., "Live Tax Free or Die?") Property tax rates (based on average homes & incomes) across the US range from 0.3% to 2.3% which isn't that much. Another option is Puerto Rico where Apple employees would have to pay 0% federal income taxes which is 39% in the 50 US states. In P.R. their local income tax appears to be 4% (compare that to the California income tax rate of 13% on top of 39% federal taxes for a total of 52%.) P.R. is big; it has 1% the population of California! Another viable location is Guam, which also has 0% sales tax. You can rent an expensive & furnished home in Guam for $36,000/year, and there's a glut of homes in Guam at the moment. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    If Apple built facilities in Alaska or New Hampshire then the employees there would have to pay 0% sales tax and 0% income tax. (Is the New Hampshire slogan "Live Free or Die" referring to taxes? I.e., "Live Tax Free or Die?") Property tax rates (based on average homes & incomes) across the US range from 0.3% to 2.3% which isn't that much. Another option is Puerto Rico where Apple employees would have to pay 0% federal income taxes which is 39% in the 50 US states. In P.R. their local income tax appears to be 4% (compare that to the California income tax rate of 13% on top of 39% federal taxes for a total of 52%.) P.R. is big; it has 1% the population of California! Another viable location is Guam, which also has 0% sales tax. You can rent an expensive & furnished home in Guam for $36,000/year, and there's a glut of homes in Guam at the moment. 
    Apple is hiring at least 1,200, but not just any 1,200. The skills they need to successfully produce a baseband processor are varied, and many are very specialized in a very narrow technical area. Those folks are in San Diego, not Alaska, NH, PR or Guam. Apple will recruit heavily from Qualcomm talent to get the expertise they need. They’ll pay very well, and their employees will be able to pay their taxes. 
    edited March 2019 dewmetyler82
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    loopless said:
    Drmikel said:
    San Diego is much cheaper than the Bay Area. And a much better quality of life than Reno or Vegas. So it's a happy medium.
    San Diego also has arguably the best climate of any major US city, at least if you can get a place fairly close to the ocean. As long as water keeps flowing from the taps San Diego will remain as one of the most desirable US cities to live in. It also has a very stable economy helped by massive government presence. The high cost of living is less of a detractor to me than is the traffic volume. But if you have to sit in heavy traffic every day, there are worse places to do it than in San Diego, e.g., the DC beltway or Atlanta. Apple adding 1200 jobs in San Diego is not going to make a huge difference on a macro level but it is going to put a dent in QualComm's ability to attract the top talent. This is a good thing for those folks.
    tyler82
  • Reply 12 of 12
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tmay said:
    Sounds like Apple is building ModemTown, with the goal of luring a lot of Qualcomm employees away.

Or not.
    Yep but do we have to wait till 2022 for G5 modem?