Apple unveils 5th-gen iPad mini with Apple Pencil support, better Retina display

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2019
Alongside the new iPad Air, Apple has finally updated the iPad mini with a new processor and Apple Pencil support.

New iPad mini 5

The new iPad mini has the same A12 Bionic chip as the iPhone XS and iPhone XR, with Apple saying that it delivers "three times the performance and nine times faster graphics." The Retina display on the model is laminated like the iPad Air 3 and iPad mini 4, now has True Tone technology, and the highest pixel-density of any iPad at 326 DPI.

First generation Apple Pencil support has arrived on the iPad mini as well. The second generation Apple Pencil as seen with the iPad Pro lineup is not compatible with the new model.

The new iPads are available to order starting on Monday, and in stores at some point the week of March 25.

The new iPad mini 5 starts at $399 for the Wi-Fi model and $529 for the Wi-Fi and Cellular model. The Apple Pencil is a $99 addition. Several Apple authorized resellers, however, will not collect sales tax in many states, making the purchase slightly more affordable (details can be found in our iPad mini 5 Price Guide).

The last time the iPad mini was updated, it was at 2015's event where Apple unveiled the ability to say "Hey, Siri" to summon the assistant. That fourth generation iPad mini cost the same $399 but featured 16GB of flash storage and could go up to 128GB. The new 2019 model starts at 64GB of storage and can be configured for 256GB. The older model also had the then-new A8 chip, sporting the 1.5 GHz dual-core Apple Typhoon, coupled with a Quad-core PowerVRGX6450 GPU.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    tgpenrodtgpenrod Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Was there an event to unveil this, or was it a rare mistake on Apple's part to accidentally update the site ahead of the March 25th event? lol I'm just not used to seeing new products appear on the website without them being all dramatic about it. haha
    jbdragonwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 86
    Can someone please explain to me why Apple would release new devices with the old tools (Apple Pencil).  I upgraded my pro and kinda feel slapped in the face by this but love the size of the mini.    
    davgregentropyswilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 86
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    wow....great display...we were all expecting laminated screen again
    pte applewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 86
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Can someone please explain to me why Apple would release new devices with the old tools (Apple Pencil).  I upgraded my pro and kinda feel slapped in the face by this but love the size of the mini.    
    The new Pencil is a much more premium experience for Pro iPads. The 1st Gen Pencil still is industry leading & its cheaper for regular note taking.
    MetriacanthosaurusredgeminipaStrangeDaysNotsofastwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    NY1822 said:
    wow....great display...we were all expecting laminated screen again
    Yup, and we got it. The Air 2 and mini 5 are both laminated.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 86
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    tgpenrod said:
    Was there an event to unveil this, or was it a rare mistake on Apple's part to accidentally update the site ahead of the March 25th event? lol I'm just not used to seeing new products appear on the website without them being all dramatic about it. haha
    No event. This was rolled out similarly to how the new MacBook Pro was last summer, and how the Vega refresh in November was debuted as well.
    tgpenrodronndoozydozenstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 86
    The new Pencil is a much more premium experience for Pro iPads. The 1st Gen Pencil still is industry leading & its cheaper for regular note taking.
    No argument on its premium status but it’s a stagnant step as opposed to being progressive.  I generally feel like Apple isn’t pushing hard enough for tech advances anymore - I get it but as I admitted, it also feels like a slap in the face to me having purchased all new equipment.  
    tomjunior39entropyswilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    So many people told us (and were so sure of themselves in the process) that the Mini was dead, to get over it, there was no market for it etc.

They were wrong just like they were wrong on so many other things. I hope being so categorically wrong on so many issues now, will make those people at least present their comments as simple opinions and not as fact.

I will get this when my Mini 2 starts to wane (no signs of that at the moment, though) and know how much battery life we can get out of it. My Mini 2 still goes for ages without needing a charge.

Price is fine for the 64GB option (449€) but I would have reservations about paying 619€ for the 256GB option as it looks so dated. For that price I'd want far less bezels for a 2019 device.

Sadly, Apple continues with its upsell antics but I can get by with 64GB. 

No idea why they didn't include this on the agenda for the March 25th event but it doesn't matter.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 9 of 86
    And it's still $399, now for half the storage as before. Talk about DOA release.
    Who is this for exactly? The person who wants the cheapest way to get Apple support? Oh wait no that's the larger and better and cheaper 9.7" iPad at $329.

So its for the person who wants the smallest and least usable Apple Pencil support? What a joke.

Because no one is going to buy this as just an iPad, because its a terrible buy in that regard.

edited March 2019 tomjunior39gutengeljbdragonwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 86
    No argument on its premium status but it’s a stagnant step as opposed to being progressive.  I generally feel like Apple isn’t pushing hard enough for tech advances anymore - I get it but as I admitted, it also feels like a slap in the face to me having purchased all new equipment.  
    Sell your Pro then. Then get the cheaper ones.
    ronndoozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 86
    And it's still $399, now for half the storage as before. Talk about DOA release.
    Who is this for exactly? The person who wants the cheapest way to get Apple support? Oh wait no that's the larger and better and cheaper 9.7" iPad at $329.

So its for the person who wants the smallest and least usable Apple Pencil support? What a joke.

Because no one is going to buy this as just an iPad, because its a terrible buy in that regard.

how is the 9.7 inch ipad better? The new mini has a better processor then the current 9.7 ipad and better front camera and comes with 64 gig storage when the base model 9.7 ipad is 32 gig.
    redgeminiparadarthekatronndoozydozenstompyuraharawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 86
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Non pro devices get entry level accessories and pro devices get pro accessories. Apple has a 14 day return policy so you could swap them out. 

redgeminipaStrangeDaysronndoozydozenuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 86
    conitorconitor Posts: 10member
    As much as I love the iPad Mini, this release I a bit disappointing.  It simply doesn't justify the $399 starting price imo.  What about the Pencil?  I'm not sure what purpose it serves to support 2 different pencils, originally hoped gen 2 was simply a replacement to gen 1 with a forced upgrade but now its more Apple Pencil and Apple Pencil Pro.  Completely unnecessary, all it does is confuse consumers, give the appearance as a money grab and having another SKU that is seemingly unnecessary.  
    rogifan_newentropyswilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 86
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

It comes standard with 64 GB up to 256. The old one had 16 GB and topped out at 128. I am confused as to what you are referring too. Expect the 9.7” to be discontinued in the near future. 
    edited March 2019 StrangeDaysronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 86
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Great to see the Mini back! Such a fantastic size. Looking forward to update mine in the next months.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonleftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 86
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    This all looks as if Apple updates to A12, as this is required for what is to come next week.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 86
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So if you have the latest Pro and also would like a mini for portability you can’t share a Pencil across the devices. How ridiculous.
    elijahgdavgregentropyswilliamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 86
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Nice. But at $399, count me out. 
    gutengeldasanman69Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 19 of 86

Who is this for exactly?  - People who preferred a smaller iPad with size around 8" diagonal, and were not happy with larger sized iPads (> 9.5" diagonal) either Pro or Non-Pro models (someone like Avon B7 when the need arises). Those who patiently waited for Apple to update the iPad mini lineup for 3+ years. There were plenty of them, or so we were told. I do think that the new iPad Mini will be a success. It has the right set of features and priced accordingly (at least the base model, leaving aside the upsell options).
    Eric_WVGGStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 86
    So if you have the latest Pro and also would like a mini for portability you can’t share a Pencil across the devices. How ridiculous.
    You really have crazy use case scenarios.
    muthuk_vanalingamrandominternetpersonStrangeDaysdoozydozenroundaboutnowuraharafastasleepmacxpresswilliamlondonbestkeptsecret