OWC ships Aura Pro X2 SSDs for upgrading select Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2020
OWC on Tuesday launched several Aura Pro X2 SSD drives and upgrade kits, meant to enhance speed and capacity on a select range of older Macs.

OWC Aura Pro X2

The drives have maximum read performance topping 3.2 gigabytes per second, and can write at 2.4 gigabytes, OWC said. Some kits come with an external USB 3 enclosure for repurposing an original SSD and/or transferring old data.

Compatible Macs include 2013-2017 models of the MacBook Air, 2013-2015 MacBook Pros, the 2013 Mac Pro, and the 2014 Mac mini. Though some configurations may already have SSDs, OWC is promising better power consumption, cooler temperatures, and potentially extra storage, depending on the drive.

Each one also comes with a 5-year limited warranty.

The cheapest X2 drive is a 240-gigabyte unit for $119.99. Prices rise to $179.99 for 480 gigabytes, $299.99 for 1 terabyte, and $699.99 for 2 terabytes. OWC claims that similar upgrades through Apple can cost several hundred dollars more apiece.

OWC's full upgrade kits vary in price depending on the target Mac. Beyond external enclosures, they can ship with a heat sink and/or any necessary tools.
christosm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    oseameoseame Posts: 73member
    I just replaced the SSD on a 2013 MBP with an M.2 SSD and a very cheap adapter. Why pay more for this?
    edited April 2019 rezwitsforgot username
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Oh yes 2TB for my 2015. I’m not budging off this until it dies to death or you release a MacBook Pro that isn’t a complete PoS and broken before it’s removed from the box Apple. 

oseame said:
    I just replaced the SSD on a 2013 MBP with an M.2 SSD and a very cheap adapter. Why pay more for this?

No adverse effects?
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Oh yes 2TB for my 2015. I’m not budging off this until it dies to death or you release a MacBook Pro that isn’t a complete PoS and broken before it’s removed from the box Apple. 

oseame said:

No adverse effects?
    I did this with my 2012 RMBP. The drive itself was fine, but the adapter board died, twice. Caveat emptor.
    forgot username
  • Reply 4 of 6
    oseame said:

OWC costs about $100 more than a M.2 SSD plus cheap adapter.  It is fully compatible with MacOS. And you can be assured of high quality.
    It is like Samsung SSDs vs other cheaper SSDs. 
    christosm
  • Reply 5 of 6
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    oseame said:

OWC costs about $100 more than a M.2 SSD plus cheap adapter.  It is fully compatible with MacOS. And you can be assured of high quality.
    It is like Samsung SSDs vs other cheaper SSDs. 
    I think it runs little bit better than 970 PRO most of the time, though not the best.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD18/2449
  • Reply 6 of 6
    SandrisSandris Posts: 1member
    Just bought and install OWC Auro Pro X2 SSD for my MacBook Air 6.2 as I really trusted OWC, but find out that there are issues with sleep mode and this issue could not be solved. As per OWC technical support, the solution is to ship back OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD to OWC and cover all costs, if I do not like loose Sleep functionality of my MacBook. No disclaimers on OWC web on technical incompatibility with MacBook Air 6.2.