Warranties!!! ARG!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone, I need some advice. I have a TiBook 667 VGA which will be a year old in a few weeks and I have a feeling I will end up buying AppleCare for its birthday. But I was thinking about getting the CompUSA service plan so there is more of a chance of getting a replacement if something goes wrong as opposed to dealing with constant repairs. I called my local CompUSA and talked to a sales guy and he said that I can purchase an extended warranty even if I didn't buy the Powerbook at CompUSA (I did this with my iPod as well and was able to upgrade from my defective 10GB to a 20 GB when they came out). Does anyone have any experience with the CompUSA plan? The worst that could happen is I get my PB repaired if something happens, and seeing as they dont have any 667 VGA in stock at all, its likely that a replacement would be a 667 DVI or even an 867 Mhz. Any ideas guys and gals?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Yeah I'm getting ready to buy a Powerbooklet. I'm a little concerned about it's durability since it is a brand new product. But Applecare - yikes!! $350 samolians. MacMall has a cheaper deal that sounds alot like a CompUsa sype of waranty.

Generally I don't like extended plans, but I got one on my Tivo and its drive is starting to fail, within the extended coverage thankfully. Seems like it could easily be worth it on a Powerbooklet, but I guess I have a year to decide.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Anyone else?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I got AppleCare on my PowerBook G3/500. I was getting parts all of the time, especially new AC Adaptors.

Apple gave me a real hard time when I need my laptop fixed and always wanted to charge me to get it fixed. Since I had the warranty, there was something I could do about it but without it, I would have been in deep trouble.

In the end, my PowerBook G3 was replaced with a 1 GHz PowerBook G4. So for me, it was worth it and I will be buying AppleCare on this new machine as well. But there's always the chance you will never use your $350 warranty either. It's just better to have it if something goes wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    AppleCare is worthless, although CompUSA is generally awful. I would rather take their service plan than take a chance on AppleCare
  • Reply 5 of 8
    thanks for the advice Fran441, I've read the painful history of your powerbook exploits, so I am definitley looking to get my warranty extended. I'm just debating between the AppleCare or the CompUSA one. Any additional advice is welcomes.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Sell the Ti and use the money to get an 867. That's what I did (and that's what I do: add a couple hundred $$ every year and get a new computer....) That way you get a new year of AppleCare and a new computer.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Sell the Ti and use the money to get an 867. That's what I did (and that's what I do: add a couple hundred $$ every year and get a new computer....) That way you get a new year of AppleCare and a new computer. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah I was thinkin about that too. What I was kind of hoping for was to get the CompUSA plan and have something happen to my Ti that would render it irrepairable and have to get a new one through the warranty. i would never intentionally inflict anything on my Powerbook, but I do feel the need to get a new one, and even though my Powerbook is loaded (48 GB HD, 1 GB Ram, Airport card and all) I don't know how much I can get for it. The Journalism department at my university said they were interested in mine, maybe I can get around 2 grand from them. Thanks for the advice though.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by filmmaker2002:

<strong>

Yeah I was thinkin about that too. What I was kind of hoping for was to get the CompUSA plan and have something happen to my Ti that would render it irrepairable and have to get a new one through the warranty. i would never intentionally inflict anything on my Powerbook, but I do feel the need to get a new one, and even though my Powerbook is loaded (48 GB HD, 1 GB Ram, Airport card and all) I don't know how much I can get for it. The Journalism department at my university said they were interested in mine, maybe I can get around 2 grand from them. Thanks for the advice though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I think that you can get a pretty good sum for that computer... I got $1500 for my Ti 667 VGA model (no combo drive even) just 2 weeks ago. You should definitely be able to more than cover the cost of a new computer with the money you make from your Ti + the cost of the warranty.