SBC sux!

tmptmp
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
SBC is teaming up with Yahoo! to bring a new "improved" dial-up internet experience- to anyone that is NOT using OS X.

[quote]Please be informed that SBC Yahoo! Dial-up software is not compatible with Mac OS X. We will consider this updated version support

in our future updates. Please contact Macintosh technical support for effective assistance in this regard.<hr></blockquote>

BLOW ME SBC! This OS has been out for how long and you don't support it? Screw you! Oh, and if you have an old mac, or an old PC, here's what they tell you:

[quote]However, if you do not meet the minimum requirements, you will need to upgrade your PC's hardware before loading the SBC Yahoo! Dial CD.<hr></blockquote>

Great! Are you, say, an older person on a budget who mainly uses that cheap, second hand PC to check email from the kids? Are you perhaps, the usual person STILL USING DIAL-UP? Well, if you are, the caring folks at SBC Yahoo! think you should run out to Circuit City and buy a new PC! Otherwise you would miss the thrilling world of 60 MB of online storage (which will be great fun to access on dial-up), ten extra e-mail addresses (now with 10 times the spam!), and a whole month of Yahoo! personals!

I, of course, am supposed to lauch classic, I guess to get all of these lovely and irreplaceable features. I wonder how long it will take me to switch to Earthlink?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I have EarthLink (6 months dial-up, 6 months and counting DSL) and I am VERY happy with it. My only beef is that Verizon (my local phone company) limits me to half of what the download bandwidth should be. It's just a game they play. However, the sevice has never (knock on wood) been down and I always get 95% of the rated bandwidth.

SBC/Yahoo (I think) is actually a DSL offering (although maybe they have thrown dial-up in there too). But I agree that not supporting OS X is dumb. The thing I loved about EarthLink is that I didn't need to install extra software (they do have an all-in-one app like AOL, but it's totally optional). I just configured to use PPPoE in the Network preference pane, plugged in the DSL modem, and voila. That and I get dial-up hours as well so I can use my laptop when I go to my folks or my gf's place. OK, I'm rambling off topic now....
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    nope, this is the dial-up. the DSL supports up to 10.1.4, but not 10.2
  • Reply 3 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't know why anyone would care that much. The's 100's of other ways for a Mac to get on line. So what?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    So SBC is my internet provider. So I've had the same e-mail address for years. So SBC is a huge company that is ignoring my computing platform of choice. I did not ask or want them to provide me with this "service".

It sucks, that's so what.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    [quote]Originally posted by tmp:

<strong>nope, this is the dial-up. the DSL supports up to 10.1.4, but not 10.2</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have their DSL service and I'm running 10.2.4. I just enter my user name and password in Network preferences and choose Connect Automatically. I, for some reason, never entered anything about SBC.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by CubeDude:

<strong>

I have their DSL service and I'm running 10.2.4. I just enter my user name and password in Network preferences and choose Connect Automatically. I, for some reason, never entered anything about SBC.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ditto. have never had a hitch. just because they say they don't support doesn't mean it won't work.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I upgraded all of our OS X and 8.6 machines to the Yahoo! DSL service without any problem at all -- I think Prodigy just went away - nothing about the hard service itself or the way you connect changed.

Get a DSL router and you won't have to worry about usernames/PPPoE at all past the initial setup.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    A dsl router won't help me with a dial-up connection, which is what I have.

In any case, I know that I can get set the primary and secondary DNS numbers and the dial-in number through the system preferences and just use exploder to browse.

It's still a slap in the face to Apple. SBC is a huge company. If they can support OSX in DSL, they should support in in dial-up