Mizuho analysts suggest 2019 iPhones will 'lack novelty' for consumers

Posted:
in iPhone
The 2019 iPhones will largely be the same as the 2018 models in terms of basic specifications, analysts at Mizuho Securities believe, with the follow-up to last year's releases thought to "lack novelty" aside from an upgrade to include more cameras on the rear.

An early render of the triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones, via OnLeaks and CashKaro
An early render of the triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones, via OnLeaks and CashKaro

The iPhone models arriving for 2019 have been speculated to have relatively few changes to the formula laid out by the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, aside from an increase in the number of cameras. In an investor note shared with AppleInsider, Mizuho appears to be going along with the opinion of other industry observers.

The 2019 batch will consist of two OLED models and one LCD version, with the same specifications as the 2018 counterparts for the screen size, resolution, and exterior appearance. The displays will have some slight changes, including the removal of Force Touch from the iPhone XS and XS Max replacement, and "potentially slightly more narrow bezels."

No changes to the exterior is anticipated, with the TrueDepth camera notch thought to remain, while the application processor will be a 7-nanometer processor "with only minor changes." As to be expected, 5G compatibility is thought not to appear in the 2019 models.

On the back, Apple apparently won't include rear-facing 3D sensing modules "after taking into consideration component features, production capacity, costs, and energy-saving ability," but they could provide "new business opportunities." At this point, Mizuho thinks the "only major change will be an improved rear camera."

The LCD model will have a dual-camera setup while the OLED models will have a triple-camera arrangement, just as previously rumored. The sensor size will be the same sensor size and 12-megapixel resolutions as the 2018 batch, with the main and third cameras having optical image stabilization and siz lenses while the second camera will be a fixed-focus super-wide-angle lens of 120 degrees, to improve the iPhone's Portrait Mode.

In terms of suppliers, the 6.06-inch LCD model will have Japan Display as a main source followed by LG Display and possibly Sharp. On the OLED side, the smaller 5.85-inch version will be sourced from Samsung Display, which will share duties with LG Display for the 6.46-inch edition.

"As we mentioned above, we expect the 2019 models to lack novelty," the firm bluntly states. "We think the iPhone will struggle for two straight years, which would be a rare occurrence for the company."

Mizuho has "high hopes" for the triple cameras and the super-wide angle lenses, "but Huawei, Samsung, and other peers have already launched multiple phones equipped with triple cameras." Even so, it believes it is "difficult to predict" whether cameras are the correct path to recapturing market share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    We hear this every year.

The only thing I wanna see is the notch shrunken down into the bezel. Which will be quite the accomplishment and open the doors for future Apple tech products to incorporate the tiny monster. We could see the tech implemented seamlessly into Apple TV, Homepod, Mac, AR Glasses etc.
    tmayiOS_Guy80Japheypscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Ok...this is like idiots on parade. Market share isn't what matters. In this case, I'd take profit over market share. A classic example where they need to say something because they are being paid to say something. It's like live news coverage where they have no actual information so they just babble. This is babble. The phone will still pretty much look like a...phone. Much like my 2018 Honda looks a lot like my 1990 Honda.

I'm not sure sharing this kind of gunk is worthwhile. It's noise. Maybe there needs to be an 'all noise' website white noise is covered. Or at least make him present his 'opinion' via song...

"but Huawei, Samsung, and other peers have already launched multiple phones equipped with triple cameras."

Yes...that's why I buy a new phone. Whatever Samsung does, yup...It has nothing to do with quality.

Folding phones....

Oh well...

StrangeDaysbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 63
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Hard to disagree with, but widely anticipated. This is hardly news. 

It’s not like the competition will have something newer that is all that much better than their prior iteration.

From a stock price performance standpoint this is not such a bad thing: Apple can price more aggressively (increasing market share) while maintaining margins (from economies of scale since most of it is a second iteration).
    edited June 2019 chemengin1stevenoz
  • Reply 4 of 63
    The renders for the new models look like they have substantially larger lenses than the current generation which would suggest that they're using larger sensors. I suspect Apple resented losing their traditional lead position in cameras and are intending to make this the standout feature.
    caladanianstevenoz
  • Reply 5 of 63
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    “Re-capturing market share.”
    How much market share did iPhone lose?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 63
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Most years, phones have evolutionary upgrades(which is still good) so looking for exceptional novelty features in every year phones is asking for disappointment. Moreover novelty or surprises in upcoming phone release is mostly gone as true,untrue,unfounded rumors lower the anticipation.
    tmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 63
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    The Wall Scum anal-ysts NEVER learn!

If I always bet on stupid, I’d be a millionaire right now!
    StrangeDayslolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Who wants novelty?

Just release an iPhone that's better than last year and plenty of people who are looking to upgrade their phones will upgrade. People are on different upgrade cycles. Every year there are a ton of people that will be upgrading their phones to the newest, latest, greatest model.

What's a novelty phone? A folding phone? A 3D Amazon phone? 

No thanks.
    caladaniancanukstormStrangeDayslolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    I place the 2018 models on an 'S' cycle and therefore would hope for a major renovation of the 2019 devices.

I'm sure camera versatility will lead to more sales, though.

I find it difficult to imagine Apple going through another iterative upgrade with competitors pushing so hard for so long and with them still using 5W chargers etc.

If I had to go out on a limb I'd go for improvements to 3D sensing and associated software (including real time 3D modelling). Much improved battery tech (at every stage). Far more camera versatility. Better AI. More attractive shell finishes.

It might not be game changing, as all of that is already available on Android flagships, but it should help to sell more iPhones - if they also adjust pricing down.

I definitely expect the handsets to be more newsworthy than last year's which were largely overshadowed by the Series 4 Apple Watch.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 63
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Why remove the still new 3D/force touch?
  • Reply 11 of 63

Rumors aren't official.

If they do remove it, it will most likely be replaced with better technology.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 63
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member

Rumors aren't official.

I’d be miffed to lose it in Procreate Pocket, unless they brought Apple Pencil 2 support to iPhones, but that brings a slew of engineering challenges. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 13 of 63
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Smart phones are now a mature market and technology so to expect huge jumps from generation to generation is not realistic.

The innovation I would like to see is a user accessible battery and a lower selling price. I do not play games on my phone and really do not care about Augmented Reality.

I use my iPad Pro far more than my iPhone and my Macs more than either. A Mac a touchpad and a 32“ display beats any iOS device.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
     Don’t expect to much this year and you won’t be disappointed!!!!!

Enough said.
    urahara
  • Reply 15 of 63
    dedgecko said:

Rumors aren't official.

I’d be miffed to lose it in Procreate Pocket, unless they brought Apple Pencil 2 support to iPhones, but that brings a slew of engineering challenges. 

I'm sure they'll replace it with better tech and not remove it completely.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    It’s long overdue to switch to USB-C. 

caladanian
  • Reply 17 of 63
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    Why does there “need” to be new phone models every year now?  Not just from Apple but others.  Seems like a bit of a frantic pace.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 18 of 63
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    avon b7 said:
    I place the 2018 models on an 'S' cycle and therefore would hope for a major renovation of the 2019 devices.

I'm sure camera versatility will lead to more sales, though.

I find it difficult to imagine Apple going through another iterative upgrade with competitors pushing so hard for so long and with them still using 5W chargers etc.

If I had to go out on a limb I'd go for improvements to 3D sensing and associated software (including real time 3D modelling). Much improved battery tech (at every stage). Far more camera versatility. Better AI. More attractive shell finishes.

It might not be game changing, as all of that is already available on Android flagships, but it should help to sell more iPhones - if they also adjust pricing down.

I definitely expect the handsets to be more newsworthy than last year's which were largely overshadowed by the Series 4 Apple Watch.
    Apple is on a 3 year design cycle.  So anything major by way of new design will most likely come Fall 2020.  Apple kept the last design the same for 4 years (6 / 6S / 7 / 8)
  • Reply 19 of 63
    M68000 said:
    Why does there “need” to be new phone models every year now?  Not just from Apple but others.  Seems like a bit of a frantic pace.

Because this is Apples pace.

People used to call Apple users crazy for allowing it, now all the iKnockoffs are doing it.

These are Apple's rules not a trend or anything else.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    tap5atap5a Posts: 9member
    My guess is in 2020 or 2021 Apple introduces model without notch using behind the screen front facing camera technology and they know already they can't get it working with screens have force touch. Also I'm sure Apple has tons of data it's one the less used features. Just guessing.
    caladanian