What's the best 4-in-1 copier, printer, fax

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What's the best 4-in-1 copier, printer, fax, scanner for the Mac. Boy, I'm confused! I have 9.2 OS.

a) I don't care about printing photos

b) Can I fax a Word doc from my computer ?

c) Can I use my Mac plus a PC in the other room?

I looked a Cannon but it requires 6 cartridges and the cheapest cartridge cost $40.

Thanks - any and all advice _greatl;y_ appreciated!

Mike Banks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Seems like the HP inkjet is good $/quality. Forgot the model# but Sams Club has them cheap.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Look into the HP PSC 2210, Officejet 6110 or d135. The k80 & v40 are not mac compatible. The previous models I mentioned are all flatbed, scanning, printing, faxing, and copying. The 2210 does not have an automatic document feeder, so you will not be able to do unattended faxing or copying. The 6110 and d135 both have an ADF, and the D135 can be networked. Hope this helped any.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by RageX:

<strong>Look into the HP PSC 2210, Officejet 6110 or d135. The k80 & v40 are not mac compatible. The previous models I mentioned are all flatbed, scanning, printing, faxing, and copying. The 2210 does not have an automatic document feeder, so you will not be able to do unattended faxing or copying. The 6110 and d135 both have an ADF, and the D135 can be networked. Hope this helped any.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have been pleased with my multi-function HP (G85)in my office at home (HP tech svc is not great since HP tends to be late on revised drivers). Recently, I reviewed the HP 6110 and D135 and the major difference is legal paper usage...see the comment below from HP Pre-Sales person:

"The OfficeJet 6110 multifunction printer (product number Q1638A) does not have full support for scanning, copying, faxing, and printing on legal size media.

Scanning and copying only supports 8.5" x 11.7" media. Printing 8.5" x 14" media is supported through the print drivers."

If you do not need full support for legal size, then I would recommend 6110. If you do, I would recommend D135. By the way, the D135 has special price of $399 less $50 HP rebate as well as $70 credit from some vendors such as Staples. The $70 credit has to spent at Staples (would not last long for me as I buy much paper and printing supplies).

• Reply 4 of 10
    [quote] I have been pleased with my multi-function HP (G85)in my office at home (HP tech svc is not great since HP tends to be late on revised drivers). Recently, I reviewed the HP 6110 and D135 and the major difference is legal paper usage...see the comment below from HP Pre-Sales person:

"The OfficeJet 6110 multifunction printer (product number Q1638A) does not have full support for scanning, copying, faxing, and printing on legal size media.

Scanning and copying only supports 8.5" x 11.7" media. Printing 8.5" x 14" media is supported through the print drivers."

<hr></blockquote>

Yup thats true, 6110 doesn't scan/copy/fax legal size. If you don't mind the size, even the G85 is an option if you can find it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    craig12cocraig12co Posts: 106member
    Do NOT get a Lexmark. I was a Lexmark service technician for a year, and I can tell you they are the least reliable electronics I have ever encountered. Cheap plastic parts, lousy QA.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by craig12co:

<strong>Do NOT get a Lexmark. I was a Lexmark service technician for a year, and I can tell you they are the least reliable electronics I have ever encountered. Cheap plastic parts, lousy QA.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll second that. I worked at a Best Buy for a year and they were the most returned machines due to reliability issues. I just stopped selling them and kept selling Canon's. Canon just released some new All-in-one's and they should only use 4 cartridges ($12 for each of threee colors and $14 for black)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    If you are not printing photos, Brother All-In-One Laser Printers are a good bet. I have the 8300 model and it works very well. The 8600 adds scanning and PC-fax support. Initially Brother was slow to adopt OS X drivers, but now all the printers work fine in 10.2. Since these are laser printers the cost per page is much cheaper. I think you can get a 8600 for around 399.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    None of the Canon aio's are mac compatible. Since your not printing photo's, do you need color printing/copying? If not, laser would be the way to go. If you need color, the HP's would be the best way to go.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    A bit off-topic, but why go for an all-in-one? I prefer choosing the perfect printer, scanner, and fax software independently, as opposed to settling for inferior functions provided by all-in-ones.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    [quote]Originally posted by gordy:

<strong>A bit off-topic, but why go for an all-in-one? I prefer choosing the perfect printer, scanner, and fax software independently, as opposed to settling for inferior functions provided by all-in-ones.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly !! Plus if the scanner function breaks, and you have to send out for repairs, you lose your printer as well.

Plus, most people don't need faxing and copying that much, and if you do, most stand-alone fax machines will make copies as well. Alternatively, most new Macs come with FaxSTF bundled, and most scanners include a COPY function for making a copy by sending direct from scanner to printer.

A mid-priced Epson photo printer and a Canon scanner are my recommendations.