Samsung's Galaxy Note 10 expected to launch Aug. 7

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
Samsung is reportedly gunning to launch its next top-end phone, the the Galaxy Note 10, at an "Unpacked" event on Aug. 7 -- with one version of the phone approaching tablet sizes.

A render of the Note 10
A render of the Note 10 "Pro," said to measure 6.75 inches.

The event will be held at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., according to CNET sources, the same venue at which the Note 9 was announced in 2018.

Recent leaks point to the phone having an edge-to-edge display, with a "hole-punch" front-facing camera at the top. It's also expected to come in separate 4G and 5G versions, possibly aligned with size -- while one model may have a 6.3-inch screen, a "Pro" version could hit 6.75 inches, approaching the 7-inch milestone of small tablets. The 2019 iPad mini is 7.9 inches on the diagonal.

Both Samsung Galaxy Note 10 models are expected to ditch 3.5mm headphone jacks and adopt triple-lens, vertically-oriented rear cameras.

With the Galaxy Fold in limbo, the Note 10 is poised to become Samsung's most high-end, prestigious, and expensive smartphone. The Note 9 was originally $999.99 in its base configuration, and it's likely that the 5G Note 10 will be even more costly.

The Note line is often credited with popularizing large smartphone displays. When the first model launched in 2011, its 5.3-inch screen was considered almost too massive. In following years though rivals were forced to follow suit, including Apple, which finally broke the 4-inch barrier with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in 2014.

2016's Note 7 was one of Samsung's biggest disasters, costing it some $5 billion after it was forced to recall units and cancel production in the wake of repeated battery fires. The company has since implemented more stringent battery testing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    techsavytechsavy Posts: 34member
    I really do hope that the headphone jack is not removed.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    techsavy said:

Funny things are happening with iKnockoff Knights. They are stretching the definition of "notch" to mean a camera hole only to make themselves believe Apple copied Essential Phone to invent FaceID. What an imagination! Samsung releases camera holes and their ads read "notch-free" and the iKnockoff Knights are now changing the definition of "notch" to exclude camera holes! lol

2nd they are now excusing Sammy of removing the headphone jack after Sammy poked fun at Apple for it. Their excuse? "Headphone jacks are a premium feature so no, Samsung is not removing the headphone jack only keeping it for premium customers". LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    techsavy said:

Funny things are happening with iKnockoff Knights. They are stretching the definition of "notch" to mean a camera hole only to make themselves believe Apple copied Essential Phone to invent FaceID. What an imagination! Samsung releases camera holes and their ads read "notch-free" and the iKnockoff Knights are now changing the definition of "notch" to exclude camera holes! lol

2nd they are now excusing Sammy of removing the headphone jack after Sammy poked fun at Apple for it. Their excuse? "Headphone jacks are a premium feature so no, Samsung is not removing the headphone jack only keeping it for premium customers". LOL
    The definition of notch is not being stretched in any way, shape or form ;-)

Have you ever wondered why flammable and inflammable mean the same?

Or why people normally say 'LCD Display'.

Languages evolve as does terminology. That's why we still say 'dial a number' in phone use.

With that in mind:

A notch is a notch (wide or narrow) in the edge of the screen. This is correct use of notch and comes from the main use of the word.

A hole punch is a hole punch and is also correct as a description for a screen with a sensor cutout.

You shouldn't be having trouble with this as it is accepted terminology.

muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed
  • Reply 4 of 9
    avon b7 said:
    techsavy said:

The definition of notch is not being stretched in any way, shape or form ;-)

Have you ever wondered why flammable and inflammable mean the same?

Or why people normally say 'LCD Display'.

Languages evolve as does terminology. That's why we still say 'dial a number' in phone use.

With that in mind:

A notch is a notch (wide or narrow) in the edge of the screen. This is correct use of notch and comes from the main use of the word.

A hole punch is a hole punch and is also correct as a description for a screen with a sensor cutout.

You shouldn't be having trouble with this as it is accepted terminology.

You're the one having trouble with it as "evolving" terminology. What a joke.

It's only a "notch" when introduced before iPhone. It's a "camera hole" when Samsung copies Essential phone. See the hypocrisy?

Of course a notch is a notch. Everyone but iKnockoff users know this. Your sarcasm and attempt to make others look dumb falls flat.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    I don't see the hypocrisy because I have no idea what you are getting at.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 9
    avon b7 said:
    I don't see the hypocrisy because I have no idea what you are getting at.

Of course you don't.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    techsavy said:

Are you okay? Every post from you is off on the "iKnockoff Knights" tangent. It's a phone, chill. No one is gonna die if they choose Apple over Android or visa-versa. Seriously, take some time away from the tech blogs.

Nothing is going to change that a car has 4 wheels and an engine no matter how much the Ford and Chevy crowd insult each other over which is better. Are you still upset at the whole Windows/Mac interface thing too?
    Abalos65
  • Reply 8 of 9
    majorsl said:
    techsavy said:

Are you okay? Every post from you is off on the "iKnockoff Knights" tangent. It's a phone, chill. No one is gonna die if they choose Apple over Android or visa-versa. Seriously, take some time away from the tech blogs.

Nothing is going to change that a car has 4 wheels and an engine no matter how much the Ford and Chevy crowd insult each other over which is better. Are you still upset at the whole Windows/Mac interface thing too?

I will call them out every chance I get.

If you think truth is the problem maybe you are part of the problem. Funny how offended people get when they're called out.