Apple recruits high-profile marketing exec Nick Law

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
Apple has hired Nick Law -- the chief creative officer multinational ad behemoth Publicis Groupe -- for an unknown role.

Nick Law

Law will start with Apple in September, Publicis CEO Arthur Sadoun confirmed in a letter seen by AdAge. In his own statement, Law called the move a "very hard decision," but said "the once in a lifetime opportunity to work with a brand I've admired my whole life was too good to ignore."

The executive joined Publicis in April 2018, working out of New York City. The company is the world's third biggest ad holding outfit, with recent annual revenues hitting $11.7 billion.

Most of Law's career, over 18 years, was spent in CCO roles with R/GA, itself a well-known ad firm with offices around the world.

Apple's global marketing efforts are spearheaded by senior VP Phil Schiller. Since there are no signs of Schiller planning to leave, Law will presumably serve in a subordinate role.

That role could involve services, since the company is planning to launch two -- Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ -- sometime this fall. Both will face tough competition, especially the latter, which will have to compete against the likes of Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video.

On June 24, Apple brought on Chris Thorne as the new chief marketing officer for Beats. His credits include the likes of Electronic Arts and The Honest Company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    I’m not sure compete is the best word to use regarding streaming services.  I have both Netflix and HBO, but I wouldn’t call them competitors. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 8
    To Quote
    "On July 24th..."

So Time Machine really works going forward as well then? /s

Perhaps it should be 'June 24th'
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Since there are no signs of Schiller planning to leave, Law will presumably serve in a subordinate role. 

When I read the above sentence, I had a “Thank God!” moment for being spared the drivel that would spewed proclaiming how doomed Apple will be without Phil and others we have become accustomed to steering Apple. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Since there are no signs of Schiller planning to leave, Law will presumably serve in a subordinate role. 

When I read the above sentence, I had a “Thank God!” moment for being spared the drivel that would spewed proclaiming how doomed Apple will be without Phil and others we have become accustomed to steering Apple. 
    Phil is a legend for sure. There are just some people at Apple that I could never see leave, at least until they retire.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    LordeHawk said:
    I’m not sure compete is the best word to use regarding streaming services.  I have both Netflix and HBO, but I wouldn’t call them competitors. 
    Oh they’re definitely competitors. Netflix content exec called out HBO specifically and said his job was to make Netflix HBO before HBO became Netflix. 

https://gizmodo.com/netflix-the-goal-is-to-become-hbo-faster-than-hbo-can-5980103
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 6 of 8
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    So he played the role of CCO. That's saying a lot, and nothing: 

Chief channel officer, the executive responsible for indirect revenue with a partner within an organizationChief commercial officer, the executive responsible for commercial strategy and developmentChief communications officer, or sometimes, Corporate communications officer, the executive responsible for communications, public relations or public affairs or bothChief compliance officer, the executive responsible for compliance with regulatory requirementsChief content officer, the executive responsible for content in broadcastingChief creative officer, the executive responsible for the creative team of a companyChief customer officer, the executive responsible for the total relationship with customersChief culture officer, the executive position responsible for cultural alignment of a company, described in a 2009 book by Grant McCracken
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 7 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple doesn’t have a great track record with hiring high-level outsiders.
    razorpitcornchip
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bonobob said:
    So he played the role of CCO. That's saying a lot, and nothing: 

Chief channel officer, the executive responsible for indirect revenue with a partner within an organizationChief commercial officer, the executive responsible for commercial strategy and developmentChief communications officer, or sometimes, Corporate communications officer, the executive responsible for communications, public relations or public affairs or bothChief compliance officer, the executive responsible for compliance with regulatory requirementsChief content officer, the executive responsible for content in broadcastingChief creative officer, the executive responsible for the creative team of a companyChief customer officer, the executive responsible for the total relationship with customersChief culture officer, the executive position responsible for cultural alignment of a company, described in a 2009 book by Grant McCracken
    The first sentence of the article says chief creative officer so I’d go with that.  :)
    fastasleepcornchiprandominternetperson