Hulu brings 4K streaming to Apple TV 4K and Chromecast Ultra

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
After quietly removing the feature in 2018, Hulu has brought back 4K to their streaming service -- this time, exclusively to the Apple TV 4K and the Chromecast Ultra.

In 2016, Hulu had added support for 4K content to its streaming service, and subscribers could stream Hulu Originals and select films in 4K on gaming consoles like the XBox One and PlayStation 4. In early 2018, Hulu had quietly removed this feature, with the intention of adding it back eventually.

As reported by Streamable, Hulu has finally brought back support for 4K streaming, exclusively to the Apple TV 4K and the Chromecast Ultra. At this time, there appears to be no mention of releasing 4K streaming to other hardware or reinstating it on gaming consoles.

Hulu had made the announcement without much fanfare, seemingly only in response to twitter user @RALPH4lyf, who had addressed the 4K issue the day of the release.

We have good news! 4K streaming was just re-released today on select devices: https://t.co/5BjUFgexXk. You'll be able to watch any of our Hulu Originals in 4K. We hope this helps!

-- Hulu Support (@hulu_support)

Subscribers will be able to stream Hulu Originals -- such as The Handmaid's Tale, Catch-22, and Castle Rock -- in 4K. Hulu's 4K UHD streams at 16 megabits per second, so users who wish to take advantage of this will need to have a fairly robust internet connection.

Hulu's 4K streaming supports Standard Dynamic Range, not HDR10 or Dolby Vision, so users may notice a decrease in contrast and color depth compared to other 4K content.

Many subscribers have complained about both the limited availability of 4K titles, as well as the fact that it is currently restricted to two devices. In comparison, Netflix has over 600 titles in 4K and Amazon Prime offers all original content and a few films in 4K as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    4K alone is overrated IMO. Without HDR-10 or DV, it’s just a lot of extra bandwidth unnecessary for the average home TV viewing experience. The one exception is sports programming but from this announcement it doesn’t seem to be supporting that, at least initially.
    1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 2 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I think more people would see a noticeable improvement with HDR instead of 4K. The latter can only be appreciated if the viewer is sitting in the '4K zone' relative to their screen size and visual acuity. HDR can be more readily appreciated and isn't dependent on viewing distance.

In sets with HDR 4K is probably a given. But I wouldn't get a 4K set without HDR. If not already, soon they'll be a standard, not optional, team.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    How can I verify that a broadcast from Hulu is in 4K? I don't see anything in the program info.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    taintedtainted Posts: 6member
    Does this impact sound options at all on AppleTv?  I think previously shows were only offered in 2.1 sound.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Just a few minutes ago I was thinking to myself...
    Wouldn't Apples service use the most expensive 4K cameras? Apple can afford it.

Believe it or not a lot of "4K" content isn't actually filmed in 4K. This requires newer digital cameras. I hope Apple TV+ will be the first service to offer full 4k/Dolby Vision content on every show and movie. Wouldn't THAT would be great!
  • Reply 6 of 15

Believe it or not a lot of "4K" content isn't actually filmed in 4K. This requires newer digital cameras. I hope Apple TV+ will be the first service to offer full 4k/Dolby Vision content on every show and movie. Wouldn't THAT would be great!
    Apple's content would be filmed on the best medium for the content being presented, not just the most expensive 4K cameras.  4K just for the sake of 4K would be a waste of bandwidth.  We are discussing a streaming service after all so the quality of the stream is going to be a big consideration.  
  • Reply 7 of 15
    taintedtainted Posts: 6member
    How can I verify that a broadcast from Hulu is in 4K? I don't see anything in the program info.
    On an AppleTv 4k when i looked at the info for Handmaids tale I did see a 4k indicator.
  • Reply 8 of 15

Apple's content would be filmed on the best medium for the content being presented, not just the most expensive 4K cameras.  4K just for the sake of 4K would be a waste of bandwidth.  We are discussing a streaming service after all so the quality of the stream is going to be a big consideration.  

I guess Apple made Apple TV 4K for no reason?

Maybe there will be an option to toggle off 4K on 3rd party devices.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 9 of 15

Apple made an ATV4K so that their streaming device would have 4K capability.  Capability.  Not for their service to have 4K exclusivity.  There's no need for a toggle for 4K.  Content automatically scales to resolution that can be supported by the internet connection bandwidth (25Mbps minimum for 4K streaming) and the screen resolution of the viewing device.  Again, not all content would benefit from 4K so filming everything in 4K doesn't benefit Apple, it's new service, nor it's customers.  
    gatorguy
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tainted said:
    On an AppleTv 4k when i looked at the info for Handmaids tale I did see a 4k indicator.
    My girlfriend was watching an episode when I got home and I did not see the 4K indicator as well. Odd considering it’s one of their more popular shows. 
  • Reply 11 of 15

Apple made an ATV4K so that their streaming device would have 4K capability.  Capability.  Not for their service to have 4K exclusivity.  There's no need for a toggle for 4K.  Content automatically scales to resolution that can be supported by the internet connection bandwidth (25Mbps minimum for 4K streaming) and the screen resolution of the viewing device.  Again, not all content would benefit from 4K so filming everything in 4K doesn't benefit Apple, it's new service, nor it's customers.  

There's a toggle for 4K content on Apple TV.

I'm thinking Apple can afford to film everything in true 4K Dolby Vision.
  • Reply 12 of 15

No one is questioning whether or not Apple can afford to film everything in 4K DV.  I'm saying there is no appreciable benefit for Apple to do so.  The old adage "just because you can doesn't mean you should" applies here.  Appropriate tech for the desired effect, not just spec chasing.

Why would an ATV need a toggle for 4K?  Either the signal can be streamed at 4K or it can't, and it will scale automatically to the resolution that allows the stream.  Maybe I should ask... what do you mean by a toggle for 4K content?
  • Reply 13 of 15

No one is questioning whether or not Apple can afford to film everything in 4K DV.  I'm saying there is no appreciable benefit for Apple to do so.  The old adage "just because you can doesn't mean you should" applies here.  Appropriate tech for the desired effect, not just spec chasing.

Why would an ATV need a toggle for 4K?  Either the signal can be streamed at 4K or it can't, and it will scale automatically to the resolution that allows the stream.  Maybe I should ask... what do you mean by a toggle for 4K content?

You say there's no benefit to customers but that's ridiculous. That would be the main reason I would be interested in their content. That would be a mega huge selling point for Apple. "Every show and movie filmed in 4K Dolby Vision".

"Why would an ATV need a toggle for 4K?"

Bandwidth(like you mentioned) and compatibility reasons.

"what do you mean by a toggle for 4K content?"

An on and off switch. Even Dolby Vision has this.

• Reply 14 of 15
    fluffhead said:
    tainted said:
    My girlfriend was watching an episode when I got home and I did not see the 4K indicator as well. Odd considering it’s one of their more popular shows. 
    If your Apple TV is not set to output 4K, then the info indicators may not be present, as Hulu will only detect 1080p and send the appropriate stream. Confirm your ATV is set to 4K output. Also, confirm your tier of service supports 4K. I have a $12/year promo plan, that includes commercials -- I wouldn't expect to receive 4K.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 15 of 15

I'm not interested in the Apple TV upscaling SD, 720p and 1080p content for me. My TV does a much better job. Apple should have auto match settings for resolution like it does for chroma and frame rate. Also, there are times when I want to crop a 4:3 frame and most 4K TVs won't support this with a 4K signal. Finally, I don't always want to wait on a 4K stream to load, or use the bandwidth necessary to do it. Doing so greatly slows down Netflix for just channel surfing. In many cases, 1080p also supports DV and HDR making 4K unnecessary.