Sorry about this, an Intel question :(

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Before you start bashing I love Apple, have lots, talked loads of people into buying them etc.

But...

I have a very odd requirement for a multi-processor Intel box. The only problem is that I can't seem to find anyone who sells a single box with more that 4 Intel chips inside. Any thoughts.

Oh and just in case you missed it, I love Apple.

Hugs.

Phil.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    And what would that requirement be?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    It's sort of a huge Windows-only modelling and management system for things. Basically it needs LOTS of power, lots.

And lots.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    P4's do not support smp as Intel wants to reserve that for the more expensive server processors. Later versions of the P4 do have hyperthreading which acts as a virtual 2-processor chip when mated with a supporting chipset and MB.

Check out anandtech.com and tomshardware.com for more info on the specifics of HT.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    I just rememeber when Compaq used to sell 8-way Proliants, I can't seem to see that kind of thing anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Xeons has the HT also, but obviously that will be expensive. Still, a 2x Xeon will "act" like a 4x. And a 4x will 8x.

[ 03-11-2003: Message edited by: muah ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Holy crap! An 8 way intel box has got to cost some scratch!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha...better keep that in the freezer!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    exactly what are you going to be running on it ?

8 way systems are not common on x86 & you

will have to go to a vendor to order them

basically you are looking at an enterprise

level system with storage options & backup

options to boot

if the software is multiplatform then sun sparcs

are excellent choices

you might also wish to consult an experienced

admin

[quote]Originally posted by Chopper3:

<strong>Before you start bashing I love Apple, have lots, talked loads of people into buying them etc.

But...

I have a very odd requirement for a multi-processor Intel box. The only problem is that I can't seem to find anyone who sells a single box with more that 4 Intel chips inside. Any thoughts.

Oh and just in case you missed it, I love Apple.

Hugs.

Phil.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 9 of 13
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 10 of 13
    There are actually 2 different xeons. The desktop model that will do 2 way and the server model (processor MP) will do like 1024 way.

Don't forget though, Win2K has logical cpu limits based on the level. Advanced server supports 8x (logical, not physical) and I think still sells for around $1000.00. Datacenter edition supports up to 32 but is $1,000,000.00. Yes seriously!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha he just wants a heater
  • Reply 12 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    For a modelling project getting the fastest dual CPU machine available then using a cluster/distribution for renders seems to be the best bet. What software is it?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    You might check to see what processor your modeling software is optimized for. Sometimes it will actually run faster on an AMD if it isn't optimized for (Intel) SSE2 extensions. Not to mention that AMD is cheaper $/performance.

I would also recommend the distributed approach if possible.