Apple touts rave iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro reviews

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Continuing what has become an annual tradition, Apple on Tuesday collected and republished choice excerpts from early iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro reviews in a bid to drum up interest ahead of a public launch on Friday.

Interestingly, this year's selection of plaudits are mainly pulled from popular websites including TechCrunch, Engadget and Mashable, not the typical assortment of major print publications. The Wall Street Journal does have a cameo, however, in a leading animated GIF that cycles through laudatory clips gleaned from posted reviews.

Apple's picks are expectedly glowing. The company elected to focus on commentary about iPhone's camera features like Night mode, as well as a new ultra-wide angle lens offered up on both iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro.

Apple also plucks quotes touting battery life, a result of energy efficient technology baked in to the A13 Bionic processor and, on iPhone 11 Pro, the Super Retina XDR OLED screen. The A13's performance gets nods from HardwareZone Singapore and Malaysian paper the New Strait Times.

A sampling of Apple's collection of quotes:

Tom's Guide

"The iPhone 11 represents a big leap forward for photography, thanks to a new ultra-wide lens and a new Night mode for better low-light performance. Apple has also upped the ante with greater video-recording quality while also delivering superb battery life."

Refinery29

"The best new feature here is Night mode, which pretty impressively brightens dark photos it's automatic in low-light settings. You can even use it as a flashlight. When you shine it at something dark, the screen will display it with more light than you can see with your own eye."

The Verge

"[iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max] are some of the most well-balanced, most capable phones Apple -- or anyone -- has ever made. They have excellent battery life, processors that should keep them relevant for years to come, absolutely beautiful displays and a new camera system that generally outperforms every other phone, which should get even better with a promised software update later this fall."

TechCrunch

"iPhone 11's Night mode is great. It works, it compares extremely well to other low-light cameras and the exposure and color rendition is best in class, period."

Continuing the PR blitz, CEO Tim Cook retweeted a video of Tokyo shot on iPhone 11 Pro by photographer Andy To. A 4K version of the same short movie was shared in Apple's press release.

Apple goes on to remind customers that they can preorder iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro through Apple.com. Orders are scheduled to arrive on Friday, Sept. 20, the same day the smartphones and Apple Watch Series 5 models are due to go on sale at brick-and-mortar Apple stores and authorized resellers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Cool. Re Refinery29 comment - Brand it 'night vision'. Reading menus in low light is nice. For older people, night vision will be a hit. Yup that's me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Australia 9News reported that iPhone 11 Pro camera tops the list, even top Huawei's P30 Pro camera with a stunning leap forward and packed with features.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Verge/Patel said it’s the best camera phone on the market right now. Wow. 

TechCrunch has several examples of Night Mode worth checking out. 

Gruber’s review is good as usual:

https://daringfireball.net/2019/09/the_iphone_11_and_iphones_11_pro

...but he also summarizes it:

There’s my review of all three iPhone 11 models in a nut: the camera systems are remarkably improved year-over-year and battery life is noticeably longer.

macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Continuing what has become an annual tradition, Apple on Tuesday collected and republished choice excerpts from early iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro reviews in a bid to drum up interest ahead of a public launch on Friday.

Interestingly, this year's selection of plaudits are mainly pulled from popular websites including TechCrunch, Engadget and Mashable, not the typical assortment of major print publications. The Wall Street Journal does have a cameo, however, in a leading animated GIF that cycles through laudatory clips gleaned from posted reviews.

Apple's picks are expectedly glowing. The company elected to focus on commentary about iPhone's camera features like Night mode, as well as a new ultra-wide angle lens offered up on both iPhone 11 and 11 Pro.

Apple also plucks quotes touting battery life, a result of energy efficient technology baked in to the A13 Bionic processor and, on iPhone 11 Pro, the Super Retina XDR OLED screen. The A13's performance gets nods from HardwareZone Singapore and Malaysian paper the New Strait Times.

Tom's Guide

"The iPhone 11 represents a big leap forward for photography, thanks to a new ultra-wide lens and a new Night mode for better low-light performance. Apple has also upped the ante with greater video-recording quality while also delivering superb battery life."

Refinery29

"The best new feature here is Night mode, which pretty impressively brightens dark photos it's automatic in low-light settings. You can even use it as a flashlight. When you shine it at something dark, the screen will display it with more light than you can see with your own eye."

The Verge

"[iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max] are some of the most well-balanced, most capable phones Apple -- or anyone -- has ever made. They have excellent battery life, processors that should keep them relevant for years to come, absolutely beautiful displays and a new camera system that generally outperforms every other phone, which should get even better with a promised software update later this fall."

TechCrunch

"iPhone 11's Night mode is great. It works, it compares extremely well to other low-light cameras and the exposure and color rendition is best in class, period."

Continuing the PR blitz, CEO Tim Cook retweeted a video of Tokyo shot on iPhone 11 Pro by photographer Andy To. A 4K version of the same short movie was shared in Apple's press release.

Apple goes on to remind customers that they can preorder iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro through Apple.com. Orders are scheduled to arrive on Friday, Sept. 20, the same day the smartphones and Apple Watch Series 5 models are due to go on sale at brick-and-mortar Apple stores and authorized resellers.
    Last few days all I've read is how great the camera is. Ok, It's good/great. Why not review how other things work. How about the number one reason we buy them. The phone. How is it, Reception problems, etc. The camera is not the only reason people buy it. How is the Wi-Fi speed ?

mld53awatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    yuck9 said:

Apple's picks are expectedly glowing. The company elected to focus on commentary about iPhone's camera features like Night mode, as well as a new ultra-wide angle lens offered up on both iPhone 11 and 11 Pro.

Tom's Guide

Refinery29

The Verge

TechCrunch

Last few days all I've read is how great the camera is. Ok, It's good/great. Why not review how other things work. How about the number one reason we buy them. The phone. How is it, Reception problems, etc. The camera is not the only reason people buy it. How is the Wi-Fi speed ?

The phone is far from the number one reason I buy an iPhone. Since Friday I have taken a little over 100 photos and I’ve made about 5 phone calls. Five phone calls in that time span is high for me, BTW. I have also spent more total time in  Safari than in Phone. Screen Time reports I spent 8 minutes on the phone today and 25 in Photos. 

Clearly, YMMV, but I’m willing to bet there are a lot of people like me where the phone is not the number one reason we have an iPhone. 
    edited September 2019 lolliverStrangeDaysiqatedocharlesgressphericurahararetrogustoJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Hard to believe I have to live with my X for two more days like some kind of animal.

Although my 11 Pro case arrives tomorrow. I think I'll play Let's Pretend.
    tmayStrangeDaysphilboogiecharlesgreslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Verge/Patel said it’s the best camera phone on the market right now. Wow.
    And he said that Deep Fusion should push the iPhone even further ahead. All the iPhone 11's, not just the Pro series will get Deep Fusion later this year.
    lolliverStrangeDaysphilboogiecaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    yuck9 said:

Tom's Guide

Refinery29

The Verge

TechCrunch

The phone is far from the number one reason I buy an iPhone. Since Friday I have taken a little over 100 photos and I’ve made about 5 phone calls. Five phone calls in that time span is high for me, BTW. I have also spent more total time in  Safari than in Phone. Screen Time reports I spent 8 minutes on the phone today and 25 in Photos. 

Clearly, YMMV, but I’m willing to bet there are a lot of people like me where the phone is not the number one reason we have an iPhone. 
    My mileage is definitely different. I'm even thinking about switching to the non-Pro option come Friday because photography isn't that important and because it will still a huge jump over my iPhone 7 Plus.

But that isn't to say that Apple is focusing on the wrong things. Clearly they are with smartphone cameras being so popular and the iPhone camera topping that list for well over a decade now.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    yuck9 said:

Tom's Guide

Refinery29

The Verge

TechCrunch

Good one. Mines a pocket computer and camera, that happens to have a phone. 
    muthuk_vanalingammacplusplusminicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    yuck9 said:

Tom's Guide

Refinery29

The Verge

TechCrunch

That's because it is the selling point this year. Of course there are many great improvements: wifi, lte, battery, performance, etc. but as we all agree here there are mostly incremental  - everything is better than last year yada yada and so not to risk sounding like parrot every year, most of reviewers focus on one most remarkable feature which is better than "better", a leap over incremental, and that happens to be the camera (it was face id 2 years before).
    charlesgreswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    yuck9 said:
    Continuing what has become an annual tradition, Apple on Tuesday collected and republished choice no excerpts from early iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro reviews in a bid to drum up interest ahead of a public launch on Friday.

Tom's Guide

Refinery29

The Verge

TechCrunch

Who cares? The phone app is the least important feature. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    I don't even know why they call it a phone anymore 😃
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Clearly, YMMV, but I’m willing to bet there are a lot of people like me where the phone is not the number one reason we have an iPhone
    This.

Being able to make a call is nice but that imaging capability, wow. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36

Given how you can do pretty much everything on an iPhone, they should call it... iLife!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    The shown iPhone image on top of the article looks like there are small (white) scratches near the edge. What happened?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    DscheyH said:
    The shown iPhone image on top of the article looks like there are small (white) scratches near the edge. What happened?
    I think that photo came from the hands on at the Apple event. It might be lint or the unit got a bit scuffed.

• Reply 17 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member

Given how you can do pretty much everything on an iPhone, they should call it... iLife!!
    …for those not around long enough to remember:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    yuck9 said:

Tom's Guide

Refinery29

The Verge

TechCrunch

1.  Why do you feel the need to quote the full article. All comments here are about this article already. 
    2. Reception problems and wifi speed depend on the Cell towers and routers. How would you measure the “improvement”? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36

Or iTool(s). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    avon b7 said:
    DscheyH said:
    I think that photo came from the hands on at the Apple event. It might be lint or the unit got a bit scuffed.

NO, just reflections
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra