Apple, Facebook reportedly vie for choice NYC office space

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple and Facebook are reportedly fighting for a chance to lease four floors of an iconic Manhattan post office that is currently undergoing renovations for office use.

Farley Post Office
Rendering of renovated James A. Farley Post Office building. | Source: Vornado Realty Trust

Citing sources familiar with the matter, the New York Post reports Apple has applied to lease all four floors of the former James A. Farley Post Office after touring the property earlier this year.

Taking up a New York City block, white-walled building is located in the heart of the city, across from Madison Square Garden and two blocks west of the Empire State Building. Vornado Realty Trust is working to transform the former post office into a 740,000-square-foot office complex spread across four floors, including a new roof deck that will feature outdoor gardens.

Facebook initiated talks to take over the space in September, disrupting plans by Japanese advertising company Dentsu to occupy the top floor, the report said. Amazon, too, was eyeing a piece of the Farley post office, but decided to take its business elsewhere after Facebook made a play for the entire building.

Vornado's chairman, Steve Roth, is well acquainted with the social media giant, acting as its landlord at a 758,000-square-foot office at 770 Broadway since 2013.

While Apple and its massive coffers pose a threat to Facebook's claim to Farley, industry insiders believe Roth is partial to leasing the structure out to the social network.

Farley was designated a New York City landmark in 1966 and the current renovation by Vornado will deliver an underground train hall, as well as restaurants and shopping stalls.

Apple has been on the hunt for Manhattan office space for months. In February, reports claimed the tech giant was in advanced negotiations for a 60,000-square-foot location at the upscale 55 Hudson Yards. More recent rumblings in August, which first mentioned Apple's interest in Farley, suggest the company seeks up to 750,000 square feet of space in the city.

Along with seven Apple Store locations in Manhattan, Apple currently leases 45,000 square feet of office space at 100-104 Fifth Avenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What a waste of money.    NYC is one of the sicker cities in this country.  There are hundreds of mid sized cities in this country that would be cheaper and in many cases offer up a more suitable work force.  

cat52SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wizard69 said:
    What a waste of money.    NYC is one of the sicker cities in this country.  There are hundreds of mid sized cities in this country that would be cheaper and in many cases offer up a more suitable work force.  

It would appear that Apple and Facebook disagree with your assessment.
    cornchipSolifastasleepRayz2016urahara
  • Reply 3 of 17
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    Why NYC? It’s time to bring some other parts of the country. Get tired of all the traffic to New York and California. 
    cat52
  • Reply 4 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    pslice said:
    Why NYC? It’s time to bring some other parts of the country. Get tired of all the traffic to New York and California. 
    Where should they go then? 
    Soliurahara
  • Reply 5 of 17
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    I'm waiting for the Apple should just buy them. (Facebook) lol..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    wizard69 said:

Increasing returns to scale, my friend. Des Moines might be cheaper, but it doesn't have the incredibly deep well of young, ambitious people with the right skills, because it doesn't have a critical mass of companies and educational institutions for them to hop back and forth between as their careers advance. The tech industry already supports several hubs: Seattle, the Bay Area, Boston, NYC, northern Virginia. The big companies need such a constant flow of talent that they can't make it work in a mid-sized city unless a bunch of them jump at once. I'm sure Des Moines would be delighted to talk. 
    Solispice-boyzoetmb
  • Reply 7 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    arlor said:
    wizard69 said:

Increasing returns to scale, my friend. Des Moines might be cheaper, but it doesn't have the incredibly deep well of young, ambitious people with the right skills, because it doesn't have a critical mass of companies and educational institutions for them to hop back and forth between as their careers advance. The tech industry already supports several hubs: Seattle, the Bay Area, Boston, NYC, northern Virginia. The big companies need such a constant flow of talent that they can't make it work in a mid-sized city unless a bunch of them jump at once. I'm sure Des Moines would be delighted to talk. 
    Honesty I have to call baloney on that one.   Cities like Rochester NY, Dayton Ohio (in fact several cities in Ohio have a suitable work force, better living conditions, reasonable wage scales and perhaps more importantly far more important or few levels communities.  

NYC is effectively the opposite congestion, crime, and masses of people out of touch with the rest of the world.   
    tedz98
  • Reply 8 of 17
    wizard69 said:

Agree. Millions of dollars spent outside these rat-infested coastal cities goes a lot further and is more impactful.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    wizard69 said:

"sicker"? To be honest I wish all the tech companies would leave my hometown and go to yours. Nobody but our corrupt mayor and the big developers want them here. 
  • Reply 10 of 17

wizard69 said:

Agree. Millions of dollars spent outside these rat-infested coastal cities goes a lot further and is more impactful.
    Sure we got rats but we love then okay but everyone here knows how to read and has a full mouth of teeth unlike your mountain top hollow. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 17

wizard69 said:
    arlor said:
    wizard69 said:

Honesty I have to call baloney on that one.   Cities like Rochester NY, Dayton Ohio (in fact several cities in Ohio have a suitable work force, better living conditions, reasonable wage scales and perhaps more importantly far more important or few levels communities.  

NYC is effectively the opposite congestion, crime, and masses of people out of touch with the rest of the world.   
    I guess I have to defend NYC today the way you celibates defend Apple everyday. I pay city, state and Fed taxes each year and I do not own property. Taxes from my city support national programs which keep small cities and towns alive. You are clueless about New York and think movies like the 1970's "Escape from NY" are documentaries. Truth is we are more diverse, have a deep well of talent, attract the best from the entire world, the birthplace of culture, and have progressive laws which make our citizens lives better. If you are not too scared come visit us someday we have several Apple Stores for you to pray at, but leave your guns at home we don't go there. 
    edited October 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    pslice said:
    Because NYC is the economic and business center of the known universe?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Yes, the know universe and unfortunately no longer affordable anyone but the wealthy which has killed anything cool and counter-culture. 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 14 of 17
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    There are plenty of other cities where they could locate offices that provide employees with a much lower cost of living and a much higher quality of life.

On the salaries rank and file Apple staff are making, New York will prove to be expensive. The same money in a less overpriced city could buy a very nice lifestyle. NYC is one of the only places I can think of where millionaires live in apartments with wall shaker window air conditioning worthy of a 30 year old mobile home. If you have a car and want to live in Manhattan- forget it.

Before anyone talks about the community amenities, drop a couple thousand well paid tech employees in a medium sized city and the amenities already there will scale up and new ones will follow.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I've met some of the people who work for Facebook and one who worked for Apple, I can tell you they want to live in NYC because... it's NYC. They are attracted to what the city offers especially for young unmarried people. They will pay more for everything willingly. A person does not really need a car here, I never had a drivers license and walk, take the subway and occasional taxi. The money you pay on rent and eating out would go to car insurance, gas and maintenance. It's is not the place (thankfully) for everyone but the city has been a magnet for people with ambition and dreams for 300 years. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 17
    wizard69 said:
    arlor said:
    wizard69 said:

I’m in Rochester and I agree totally that this mid size city would be an amazing location for Apple, Amazon, Google and others. The University of Rochester and Rochester Institute of Technology have incredible tech programs and would be able to provide amazing talent.  I’m originally from NYC and can tell you the quality of life in Rochester as well as cost of living surpass what’s available in NYC. Look at healthcare software company Epic which is based in Madison Wisconsin. They prove smaller cities can be very appealing to tech companies. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    wizard69 said:
    arlor said:
    wizard69 said:

You have almost no idea what you're talking about.   NYC is the world because it's so diverse.  Something like 400 languages are reportedly spoken in Queens, NY (although I suspect you probably think that's a bad thing).  And NYC has the lowest serious crime rate of any large city in the United States.  The murder rate is lowest it ever was and is lower than it was in the 1920's and 1930's.   In 1990, there were 2245 homicides in NYC.  In 2017, there were 290, most between people who knew each other.   In 1928, there were 404,  in 1936 there were 510 and in 1960, there were 482, all when the population was far lower than it is today.  (Data isn't available from 1937 to 1959).  

NYC does have its problems.  As you've said, it is crowded because the population is near its peak.  Some people like the vibrancy of that.  (However, surprisingly, Manhattan is still a half-million people below its 1910 peak.)   Although NYC supposedly has low per capita car ownership compared to other cities, there's traffic everywhere all the time.  With the possible exception of the specialized high schools, the public schools in NYC are pretty bad compared to some rich suburban school systems.   Greedy real estate interests are pushing out everything that made NYC unique in favor of national and international chains.  Musicians and artists can no longer afford the city and so many music venues have closed.   We have almost no bookstores and record stores left.  Almost every bit of new housing is for the super rich.   And because of that, after gaining population every year since 1980, according to Census Bureau estimates, we might be losing population again.  (Between 1970 and 1980, NYC lost 800,000 people.  It took 20 years to get back to 1970 levels.)   But it's still "where the action is" and people definitely want to be here - the increase in the population since 1980 proves that.  

You can't argue that most young people out of school with the proper tech or marketing skills prefer to live in Rochester, Des Moines or Dayton more than they'd like to live in NYC and other thriving cities like it.   I'd argue that it's when they reach their 30's and/or have kids that they look for alternatives to large cities.