Apple Music, News+, Apple TV+ bundle being considered for 2020 release

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
A new report claims that Apple is telling media publishers that it may bundle services if it so chooses -- which could potentially cut back on what is being paid out.

Expect to see more of this. Not just the subscription fee slide, but Tim Cook loving it.
Tim Cook disclosing the Apple TV+ pricing per month.

A report on Thursday claims that Apple is including a section in deals signed, telling publishers that it reserves the right to bundle services in the future. Sources familiar with the matter say that Apple may roll out these bundles in 2020, in an attempt to get more people to subscribe.

This is not the first time that this has been said. Most recently, in October, Apple was reportedly in the early stages of discussing an all-encompassing bundle for users, placing all of Apple's services like Apple Music and Apple TV+ under one payment. But, a long-time partner and foe, sometimes simultaneously, is reportedly having some issues with Apple's terms.

Some music executives from companies that Apple has had a tumultuous relationship since the dawn of the iTunes Music Store are said to be concerned about margins, should Apple bundle its services in one offering. As is typical with Apple's dealings with the music industry over the years, Apple's plan isn't being universally panned -- some executives are reportedly on-board with an omnibus offer.

Reports that Apple was considering a large bundle started surfacing in June 2018. At the time, it was disclosed that Apple was evaluating delivering a comprehensive subscription service that would rival similar plans marketed by Amazon and, to some extent, Netflix.

Apple's revenue from Services is becoming a more important source of earnings for Apple. The company presently makes money from media with Apple Music at $9.99 per month for a individual subscription, Apple News also for $9.99 a month, and Apple Arcade at $4.99 per month.

Another part of what would be included in an "all-Apple" subscriptions bundle is Apple TV+. Apple's streaming video service consists of all-unique content, and debuted on November 1. Purchasers of new Apple hardware releases after September 10 get a year of Apple TV+ service for free.

A monthly subscription for all of Apple's digital services, AppleCare, and an iPhone would cost about $100 per month.

The report by Bloomberg on Thursday morning also notes that media companies can pull content from Apple News+ after a year, if they are dissatisfied with revenue. For early participants, that year is coming up in March 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Any one who thought Apple wasn't going to bundle services at some point hasn't been paying attention.
    razorpitSpamSandwichleavingthebigg
  • Reply 2 of 13
    The sooner the better, I think some of these services like News + should be included when you sign up for the higher storage levels of iCloud. 
  • Reply 3 of 13
    there was an editorial here not long back that made the case for a bundle that would include a new phone as well.  Looks like that's exactly the direction it's heading.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    rwx9901 said:
    there was an editorial here not long back that made the case for a bundle that would include a new phone as well.  Looks like that's exactly the direction it's heading.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/11/editorial-how-long-before-we-get-a-100-everything-apple-subscription-including-an-iphone
    fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It occurs to me that the time and technology is now perfect to resurrect the original MTV model. Remember when every band had to make music videos too?  Apple with its love of music and now video production would be the perfect platform.  Watching your favorite band perform in a music video back in the day was 'magical'.  "Money for Nothing and your kicks for free" indeed.  With all the latest ability to create playlists, sort and shuffle ... it would be 'amazing'.  A remake of Robert Palmer's infamous videos in 4K  would be 'Simply Irresistible' ;).  Probably too politically incorrect now :(

I'd go one step more, Tim should look into acquiring the rights to the entire MTV catalog from Viacom (I think that's who owns them, I could be wrong) so as to provide an archive of on demand Baby Boomer material albeit only low resolution.  Hey, even talk to the BBC about all the Top Of The Pops archives.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Can we just take 3/4?  I have no desire for Apple News+, but would consider Apple TV+, Arcade, and Music as a bundle.  Maybe have an a la cart bundle:
    1 service:  $5/month
    2 services: $9/month
    3 services: $13/month
    4 services: $15/month

(or, I know that the services are a different cost, but knocking a dollar off each additional subscription for the family...)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    bfranks said:
    The sooner the better, I think some of these services like News + should be included when you sign up for the higher storage levels of iCloud. 
    Concur. I really dislike subscriptions of any kind, but some services are indispensable (like my cable modem.) Where a service is priced according to its value to me, I will opt in. I might look twice at some of the Apple services where they represent better value.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    MacPro said:
    It occurs to me that the time and technology is now perfect to resurrect the original MTV model. Remember when every band had to make music videos too?  Apple with its love of music and now video production would be the perfect platform.  Watching your favorite band perform in a music video back in the day was 'magical'.  "Money for Nothing and your kicks for free" indeed.  With all the latest ability to create playlists, sort and shuffle ... it would be 'amazing'.  A remake of Robert Palmer's infamous videos in 4K  would be 'Simply Irresistible' ;).  Probably too politically incorrect now :(

I'd go one step more, Tim should look into acquiring the rights to the entire MTV catalog from Viacom (I think that's who owns them, I could be wrong) so as to provide an archive of on demand Baby Boomer material albeit only low resolution.  Hey, even talk to the BBC about all the Top Of The Pops archives.
    I’m just guessing here, but I’m pretty sure MTV doesn’t own any of the rights to the videos they aired... the labels do. Purchasing MTV for those rights would be like purchasing a radio station and thinking all the music came with it. 
    Rayz2016fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Japhey said:
    MacPro said:

I’m just guessing here, but I’m pretty sure MTV doesn’t own any of the rights to the videos they aired... the labels do. Purchasing MTV for those rights would be like purchasing a radio station and thinking all the music came with it. 
    Well that was hardly the main point of my comment, it was just an aside and if you are right makes the actual point even better.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Japhey said:
    MacPro said:

Well that was hardly the main point of my comment, it was just an aside and if you are right makes the actual point even better.

• Reply 11 of 13
    CNBC has a story up saying that Apple signed up 200,000 subscribers to News+ in the first 48 hours and it stalled after that. Publishers are complaining that they are getting much less revenue than they had been expecting.

In my personal case, my wife had been a Texture subscriber for years and read it on her old iPad 4. News+ is only available on current devices, so she couldn't sign up for it.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    MacPro said:
    Japhey said:
    MacPro said:

Exactly. I apologize that my original comment was half-assed and incomplete. What I should have said is that I agree with everything you said except the last part. IF MTV doesn’t own any of the rights to those videos, then Apple wouldn’t need to buy them in order to replicate that model. Yes, today we can watch videos on YouTube if we want, but Apple could seriously make it a more enjoyable experience for all the reasons you listed above. Personally, I can’t believe they haven’t done more in this space. 

As an 80’s kid, I remember well those “magical” moments of seeing your favorite artists drop a new video. And to this day, I have yet to find a better way of discovering new music than 120 Minutes, Yo! MTV Raps, and Headbangers Ball. Haha, remember Remote Control? Anyway, I think we’re saying the same things, so I apologize again. 
    djames4242
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I have long stated this should be the way to go. I hope this happens. iCloud and iTunesmatch, Applemusic, AppleTV,Games should all be. I keep hearing cool ideas, but have yet to see apple execute. Where is the edge to edge screen MacBook pros, where is the Apple A chip for laptops; get rid of intel. Where is my Notch free iPhone and bump free camera. Get with it it Apple. Get on it. Oh also foldable OLED screens, looks promising... so far no body has quite captured this correctly. Something I'm sure Apple could get right if they really wanted to. Hey Cook & Phill get on it, huh!!