AirPods Pro gain first firmware update since release

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2019
Apple has released its first firmware update for the AirPods Pro since shipping the audio accessories, with the update gradually rolling out and automatically updating on shipped units.

The first change of firmware for the AirPods Pro, the update is build number 2B588, replacing number 2B584 which was preinstalled on the audio devices since its release at the end of October. The firmware only affects the AirPods Pro and not AirPods.

As Apple does not provide release notes for its accessory firmware updates, it is unclear exactly what the download does, but the relatively minor change in the build number suggests it could be a bug fix or performance-tweaking release.

Users do not need to do anything special to get the firmware installed, as it will automatically be applied when the AirPods Pro are connected to an iPhone or iPad. There isn't an update mechanism available to force an update to a pair of AirPods Pro, but users can check the firmware version number by going to the Settings app then tapping General, About, and AirPods Pro.

Users do have to keep their AirPods Pro within the supplied charging case for the update to take place, with the case also on charge and within range of the host iOS device.

The AirPods Pro offer noise cancellation to the wildly-popular AirPods for the first time, along with silicone eartips for a comfortable seal, and a Transparency function that partially enables noise cancellation to allow users to hear their environment while listening to music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    These need a price drop. Even the much better Beats pro buds are selling for 200...
    entropys
  • Reply 2 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    While the price is too high for me, Apple wont drop the price before Christmas. Anyway, I don’t think it will have any trouble selling them even at this price.

which of course means it is priced for the market.
    edited November 2019 razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 25
    rac101 said:
    These need a price drop. Even the much better Beats pro buds are selling for 200...
    And how is their noise cancellation? How do they let the sound through? Do they allow the pressure inside the ear and outside the ear to equalize? Just saying ...
    edited November 2019 svanstromn2itivguyStrangeDaysrazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    On a technical note: the firmware update is automatic, no permission required or ability to sit back and let others discover problems?
    I am not sure I would like that. What could go wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    baederboy said:
    rac101 said:
    And how is their noise cancellation? How do they let the sound through? Do they allow the pressure inside the ear and outside the ear to equalize? Just saying …
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the point is about a lesser pair of headphones is less expensive. And given the features AirPods Pro have over Powerbeats Pro, I'm not what the point is.
    mike1StrangeDaysjahbladerazorpit
  • Reply 6 of 25
    YamYam Posts: 6member
    After the firmware updated itself I did notice that both AirPods and the case had turned black!

I can but dream.
    jahblade
  • Reply 7 of 25
    They need to raise the price, because they are so darn good!
    philboogie
  • Reply 8 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    While the price is too high for me, Apple wont drop the price before Christmas. Anyway, I don’t think it will have any trouble selling them even at this price.

which of course means it is priced for the market.
    Well, at least you get it. For some, anything Apple is priced too high, period. These types simply do not understand market prices and tend to label anyone who buys at market price  some kind of imbecile. “The price needs to come down before “I” will buy it, not “I like them but I can’t afford them.” There’s a huge difference in the two attitudes.
    edited November 2019 StrangeDaysjahbladerazorpit
  • Reply 9 of 25
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Yam said:
    After the firmware updated itself I did notice that both AirPods and the case had turned black!

I can but dream.
    I’ll see your black AirPods and raise you Midnight Green. 
    Yam
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I’ve tried both. For me the Beats pro are a better fit especially if you do a rigorous workout...as they wrap around the ear & yes a bit bulkier — it’s an A+ for me 
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I don’t understand where I can find the firmware version. Please explain more in detail. 
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Today these got launched in India 🇮🇳 too.
    philboogie
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Settings-> General-> About -> AirPods

You need to have the AirPods case close to your phone, with the AirPods in it, and the lid open. Then this will appear in your settings. 

-rb
    Solicaladanian
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Or, if you have the AirPods connected to your phone via Bluetooth, this will also show up in the Settings
    Solicaladanian
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I just wanted to express that you guys are doing so much better with your videos not they were always great! They have been. But they’re even better now and you are much loved and appreciated!
  • Reply 16 of 25
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I agree that they cost a lot of money and I wouldn’t normally have spent this much for headphones or earbuds, but after reading the reviews I took the plunge. Also, I wanted noise cancelling, but not bulky over-ear headphones. I’ve had mine for a week now, just travelled by plane across the US and the Atlantic, and I’m very happy I spent the money. The sound quality is excellent, the noise cancelling is very good (sure, it lets some noise in, but cuts out a huge amount), and they didn’t bother me or hurt my ears in the least. And I love that they pause the music automatically when you take one out, and connect so well to the iPhone, including indicating battery life. 
    If you don’t want to pay this much then don’t. But if you can and want to, I highly recommend them. 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Sometimes if listening to music and I try to make a call, then click an AirPod Pro to hang up, that AirPod Pro goes silent and the music only resumes playback through the other one. Until I set the music to play through the phone and then the AirPods Pro again. 

I’m on the earlier firmware - any tips to force an update? I’ve forgot and repaired, while on wifi and case plugged into charge. 

🤔 
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I found them in settings>general>about now but they won’t update automatically in the last hour. 

I understand they should be inside the case. Should the lid be open or closed? What triggers the update? Phone locked or unlocked? Any connection to power via lightning?

=> anyone who figured it out?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I had both the PowerBeats Pro and now the AirPods Pro, I sent the PBP back as they protruded more out of the ear and the hooks were annoying for me, the sound was not as 'warm' as the AirPods Pro, good lower punchy bass and spacial treble though but at the expense of having to push the silicon tips tight in the ear.

The killer blow for me was the wind noise on the PBP when running, it drowned out the music.  With the AirPods Pro the noise cancellation does a great job and you can forget the sound of the wind but still hear things around you.  

The case on the PBP is huge and wired so it's for a different use-case, probably suited best for indoor gyms/activities.

In terms of cost, the Sony's and Sennheisers are no cheaper, so the AirPods Pro are quite well priced IMHO.

caladanian
  • Reply 20 of 25

I found them in settings>general>about now but they won’t update automatically in the last hour. 

I understand they should be inside the case. Should the lid be open or closed? What triggers the update? Phone locked or unlocked? Any connection to power via lightning?

=> anyone who figured it out?
    Mine updated pretty quickly - I connected with the phone, put them in the case on a wireless charge pad, closed the lid.  Check for updates and after a short while they updated.
    caladanian