Apple News+ fails to bring in new subscribers despite impressive launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Apple's Apple News+ launched earlier this year with impressive initial subscriber counts, but the company has failed to bring in significant numbers since then.

Apple News+

When it launched in March, Apple News+ had wrangled more than 200,000 subscriptions in its first two days. Since then, the company has struggled to gain new subscribers, according to those familiar with the subject.

Apple News+ costs customers $9.99 a month, the same cost as Apple Music, and gives customers access to over 300 curated publications. Publications included are People, Vanity Fair, the Los Angeles Times, the Wall Street Journal, and paywalled versions of popular online news sites.

However, the subscribers don't seem to be rolling in, according to CNBC. One publisher had told them his company received somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000 per month in revenue, a number that was far lower than initially expected.

Interestingly enough, another publisher disclosed that while subscription revenue was lower than expected, it had brought in a different demographic of readers that skewed younger and more female. The same publisher had also said that advertising revenue from Apple News, a free news service from Apple, has consistently trended upwards.

Publisher revenue is an issue Apple is reportedly attempting to improve, with one June report indicating it is seeking input from participating publishers to tweak the service. At that time, publishers who were allegedly advised by Apple they would see ten times the revenue of Apple acquisition Texture in its first year of operation, one publishing executive claimed "it's one-twentieth of what they said. It isn't coming true."

Apple News is, however, starting to pay off for some European publishers, despite the relatively small number of countries offering Apple News+. An August report revealed publishers were seeing increased revenues from being on the basic Apple News service, including some where ad impressions had tripled while revenue doubled.

A report on Thursday had claimed that Apple is including a section in deals signed, telling publishers that it reserves the right to bundle services in the future. Sources familiar with the matter say that Apple may roll out these bundles in 2020, in an attempt to get more people to subscribe. This would likely give users the option to subscribe to Apple TV+, Apple Music, and Apple News+ for one lower monthly rate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Unfortunately, IMHO, AN+ is NewsStand 2.0, but suffering from the same mistakes. There should be a unified format that doesn’t include scanned/PDF pages. Content should be interactive vs static, etc. 
    coolfactorcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 45
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Well, nobody cares for News...

It's not like there aren't 200000 other free online outlets....
    flyingdphcrefugeeSpamSandwichairnerdcat52
  • Reply 3 of 45
    fumifumi Posts: 23member
    Biggest worry here apart from the truly dreadful app is that bundling will mean the publishers get even less of a cut from Apple so more will leave the platform. I never subscribed because my two favourite magazines weren't even available despite both being on the huge Condé Nast publishing.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Apple News is another me too product that has been tried with less than spectacular results by any number of startups.

I am a heavy reader and Apple customer- the very kind of person they would like to target- and I have no interest in the product. I pay the New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, The Economist, Bloomberg News, The Atlantic, Wired and others for content. BTW I pay Apple Insider for ad-free. I do not need an aggregator and I do not want Apple filtering what I see or pushing "curated" content on me.

The margins for news organizations are fairly thin and the business model Apple is following makes it even more so. Just as subscription services with music, those who create content are getting pennies on the dollar compared to a direct subscription. I would rather they have a larger budget to be able to create more original content.

Mark Gurman of Bloomberg is the one who reported Apple is considering bundling these underperforming services.

If anyone from Apple is lurking, why not create an MVNO that is secure with great performance and reasonable rates. I would gladly pay for something like that.
    Yammuthuk_vanalingamairnerd
  • Reply 5 of 45
    foljs said:

Yah, I'm not sure what Apple's goal is... to fight against "fake news" by providing a trusted venue? I think they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving. I check AppleNews occasionally, but only after going to direct networks (CNN, abc7, CBC), and AppleNews doesn't give me anything new.
    edited November 2019 flyingdp
  • Reply 6 of 45

n2itivguy says:
    There should be a unified format that doesn’t include scanned/PDF pages. Content should be interactive vs static, etc. 
    Ya, I've been surprised by my experience with the free version. Just regurgitated content, and half the time videos won't play. It drives me to use other apps.
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 7 of 45
    It's simple for me - it's  overpriced and excludes the New York Times and Washington Post.  For pricing look at other Apple costs - Under $5 monthly.  This one is a big miss for me.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    BwlmogBwlmog Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    Need more news outlets in the UK and more magazines that are formatted properly for the app.
    Yam
  • Reply 9 of 45
    I think Apple’s done a good job with the app, but many of the mags in N+ aren’t that strong. I’d like to see a variety of narrowly focused specialty publications. Enough with People, etc. Also, access to newspapers & magazines in languages beyond English would be interesting.
    yojimbo007Rayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 45
    I like the Apple News app and went ahead and subscribed when News+ launched. I am still a subscriber and I especially enjoy the content from Smithsonian, Nat Geo, WSJ, and LA Times. News+ did allow me to drop a couple of magazine subscriptions, but that means that I saved like $40 a year for a spend of $120/year. I can’t say that I am thrilled with the service, but I’m going to keep it for now.
    cornchipchasm
  • Reply 11 of 45
    I am their target audience and I don't subscribe. I use Flipboard for the same stuff as well as the NY Times and the Washington Post. The problem is that you need everyone on board or it's hard to justify yet another subscription.

I love the idea of a news aggregator with different sources where I never hit a paywall or have to deal with those horrible sites that are constantly re-flowing as the annoying ads load but Apple News hasn't quite done it yet. I'd be happy to have AI applied to my reading preferences and have them show me stuff I might be interested in based on my reading. Everyone is watching what I do on the web, it would be nice if I could at least get some interesting reading in return for my privacy.

• Reply 12 of 45
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    foljs said:

The problem isn't the content, it's how its packaged up.  The majority of the magazines are PDFs and make for a poor experience on an iOS device.  The publishers who are not making any money are likely those who refused to port their content to the native Apple News format. 
    n2itivguycornchip
  • Reply 13 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'm not shocked.  Sadly, news isn't 'magical' it's just bloody depressing.
    yojimbo007
  • Reply 14 of 45
    I gave it a go when it launched but cancelled half way through my trial. I found the news app to be fine however a lot of the content was kinda rubbish.

I happily pay for a number of quality magazines offline so I have no problem with paying for content, in fact just one of my magazine subscriptions cost more then this a month. However I found on Apple news there was just a lot of rubbish magazines that I don't want any of my money going to. I think there is a serious issue with the quality of content, not an Apple problem so much as they have a wide selection of news content, more a magazine producer problem (they're producing trash).

The quality of journalism has decline so much in recent years. I not going to pay for stories that push celebrity rubbish or constantly tell me I'm evil cause I am a white male. That seems to be the flavour of media in general these days, try to cause outrage to get clicks. I don't think its a good thing in general but I get it in the free media space as its a tactic that works to help with advertisement however I'm not going to pay you for that crap.

I think Apple has made the mistake of thinking the streaming music model would work for news media, thinking its kinda the same. It fundamentally isn't the same, the simplest way I can explain it is that I would happily listen to a tonne of cds in a music store trying new things and listening to lots of random stuff if I could, who knows what I might find that I love but in a news agency there is only a couple of things I want and would pay for, the rest I don't care about.

It is a sight difference in consumer behaviour but its a fundamental one. I don't think people really care all that much about an all you can eat news service and with the rubbish media these days I think they care even less.

cornchipcat52
  • Reply 15 of 45
    AN+ is a nasty app on an iMac. The text isn’t properly formatted for a 27” screen and is way to small to read comfortably. It’s poop and I wouldn’t pay a dime for it! Also no NYT so why bother. 
  • Reply 16 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I subscribe. It’s fine, except that they need more publishers. This is a difficult thing to do. Publishers want more, but subscribers want to pay less. I find Apple News itself to be very useful.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 45
    I gave it a go when it launched but cancelled half way through my trial. I found the news app to be fine however a lot of the content was kinda rubbish.

I happily pay for a number of quality magazines offline so I have no problem with paying for content, in fact just one of my magazine subscriptions cost more then this a month. However I found on Apple news there was just a lot of rubbish magazines that I don't want any of my money going to. I think there is a serious issue with the quality of content, not an Apple problem so much as they have a wide selection of news content, more a magazine producer problem (they're producing trash).

The quality of journalism has decline so much in recent years. I not going to pay for stories that push celebrity rubbish or constantly tell me I'm evil cause I am a white male. That seems to be the flavour of media in general these days, try to cause outrage to get clicks. I don't think its a good thing in general but I get it in the free media space as its a tactic that works to help with advertisement however I'm not going to pay you for that crap. 
    Hmm can you source us a few of those articles? Not articles that identify ways minorities and others are working toward achieving equality with white males, but articles that actually telling you white males are evil? I have not come across these articles.
    roundaboutnowmacplusplusRayz2016
  • Reply 18 of 45

I think Apple has made the mistake of thinking the streaming music model would work for news media, thinking its kinda the same. It fundamentally isn't the same, the simplest way I can explain it is that I would happily listen to a tonne of cds in a music store trying new things and listening to lots of random stuff if I could, who knows what I might find that I love but in a news agency there is only a couple of things I want and would pay for, the rest I don't care about.

It is a sight difference in consumer behaviour but its a fundamental one. I don't think people really care all that much about an all you can eat news service and with the rubbish media these days I think they care even less.

"I not going to pay for stories that push celebrity rubbish or constantly tell me I'm evil cause I am a white male. That seems to be the flavour of media in general these days, try to cause outrage to get clicks. I don't think its a good thing in general but I get it in the free media space as its a tactic that works to help with advertisement however I'm not going to pay you for that crap."

Relax. They have "Maxim" in AppleNews+ just for you.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 19 of 45
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

Hmm can you source us a few of those articles? Not articles that identify ways minorities and others are working toward achieving equality with white males, but articles that actually telling you white males are evil? I have not come across these articles.
    Haha. I knew, as soon as I read it, that you would be the one. 
    gatorguymobird
  • Reply 20 of 45
    I subscribed on day one. I just cancelled it because of the crap implementation of dark mode in the News app. Whose stupid idea was it that we would want dark mode when looking at the article listings, but blindingly bright white mode when actually reading the articles?