New iPhone to catapult Apple to head of 5G smartphone market in 2020, analyst says

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2019
Apple is expected to take a seat at the head of the 5G smartphone table in 2020 upon introduction of an iPhone capable of taking advantage of the speedy network technology, according to new research from Strategy Analytics.

5G iPhone Marketshare

The research firm forecasts Apple to take a "dominant" position in the 5G sub-sector despite a relatively late entry, currently projected to land within the company's typical fall iPhone release window in 2020.

"It may seem counterintuitive that Apple, which currently has no 5G phones in its portfolio will be able to pass current 5G market leaders Samsung and Huawei," said Ken Hyers, director at Strategy Analytics. "But with three new 5G models coming next year, Apple merely needs to match its current upgrade rates for newly introduced iPhone models to take the lead next year."

With a healthy marketshare and increasing churn rate, iPhone can easily take the 5G crown in one fell swoop. Other manufacturers, some of which already field 5G handsets, need to build a market presence device-by-device.

Strategy Analytics Associate Director Ville-Petteri Ukonaho adds that Apple has an opportunity to cast a wide net with iPhone, especially in important markets like China and U.S. Both regions are on the forefront of 5G development, with carriers already seeding their respective networks with compatible equipment.

"But with the two largest 5G markets in 2020, China and the USA, dominated by Huawei and Apple respectively, these two vendors are set to lead in 5G next year," Ukonaho said.

In the U.S., for example, Verizon is slowly adding 5G Ultra Wideband services to densely populated metropolitan areas, while the pending T-Mobile and Sprint merger is in part contingent on proliferation of the technology.

Apple is widely rumored to integrate a 5G baseband chip in a next-generation iPhone slated for release in 2020. Industry insiders believe Qualcomm to supply 5G modems in the near term, with Apple potentially introducing in-house 5G hardware as early as 2022.

While Apple is anticipated to lead the 5G field in 2020, competitors will quickly catch up and overtake the iPhone maker as the technology becomes a standard feature.

"Despite the strong showing that is expected for Apple in 5G in 2020, in the longer term Samsung will regain the 5G crown," Hyers said. "As more markets cut over to 5G, Samsung will capture the majority of that share by virtue of its dominance of the overall smartphone market and a broader portfolio of 5G devices across more price-bands."
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Why is everyone so focused on 5G phones when 5G networks in any practical form don't exist.
    flyingdpStrangeDaysMplsPRayz2016mike1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 39
    omasou said:
    Why is everyone so focused on 5G phones when 5G networks in any practical form don't exist.
    Yeah,  good point.  And,  there are known transmission problems going through certain materials that 4G\LTE handles way better.  Let's not forget, the new chips could be a power hog too.  I have a co worker who keeps harping on the 5g buzz word and I keep saying I can get fast wifi nearly everywhere these days so what's the big deal.
    flyingdpjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    That plot basically says 5G phone shipments are currently close to nothing and will continue to be close to nothing if Apple is going to hit 40% 5G phone share based on ~10 days of sales in September, 2020.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    omasou said:
    Hype. That’s why.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

"It may seem counterintuitive that Apple, which currently has no 5G phones in its portfolio will be able to pass current 5G market leaders Samsung and Huawei," said Ken Hyers, director at Strategy Analytics. "But with three new 5G models coming next year, Apple merely needs to match its current upgrade rates for newly introduced iPhone models to take the lead next year.”

When speaking of Apple it's always counterintuitive to predict success... but somehow Apple usually pulls it off. The naysayers’ faces are covered with egg on a continual basis.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 39
    omasou said:
    I suspect that 5G hotspots like sports arenas and conference venues will be a good start. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 39
    If Apple is able to maintain current prices, they’ll dominate 5G phone sales by default.  The problem is the first 2 years of 5G will likely bite Apple’s margins.  But, it might be worth it though to grow services and take market share.

Android + 5G is going to be a tough sell.  Carrier’s are going to have to subsidize phones to promote their networks.  A $1000 Android phone isn’t going sell...maybe at $600 (subsidized).

It’s going to be a very difficult environment or everyone.  I wouldn’t be surprised if people opt out of 5G for 1 generation older iPhones, or 4G version of the flagships.

Bottom line, the “need” for 5G is limited.  Apple is taking the best approach, being late to the party... 5G (in the USA) will really take off when Apple has their own 5G chip.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Today morning if you heard Cisco CEO Chuck Robbins, he said carriers using there current backend network for 5G and not upgrading for 5G until the end of 2020 into 2021. This proves, Apple knows when to introduce 5G support. Practically in USA, it will take whole 2021 and part of 2022 to see 5G availability where you live, work and drive around.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    i am expect major change of phone/pad usage when 5G in place.  remove all the security and OS update to the network side, to eliminate headache to protect "user" to harm him/her self.  vertical integration with app on demand rather than host in user side (to eliminate upgrade/change, etc.  better control of user security and user experience).  may be just wishful thinking, but I am waiting to upgrade to 5G when it shows the major improvement from current platform.  IMHO.  keep my fingers toes all crossed ;-).  
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I'm not convinced Apple's 2020 iPhone will have 5G. The availability of 5G has been very anemic and I simply don't see Apple being on the leading edge here. More likely, the 2020 will have USB-C, faster CPU's, better camera, etc. but that 5G is unlikely to appear before 2021/2022. Hope I am wrong...
  • Reply 11 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    omasou said:
    But they're rolling out everywhere now! And it's shortsighted to only think about now, you have to think about 5 years from now! /s 

Yup. 5 years from now when today's iPhone will be bordering on obsolete and the 5G networks will finally be approaching true widespread availability such that all the new uses that nobody's even thought of yet will be just starting to come to fruition.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    MplsP said:
    omasou said:
    But they're rolling out everywhere now! And it's shortsighted to only think about now, you have to think about 5 years from now! /s 

Yup. 5 years from now when today's iPhone will be bordering on obsolete and the 5G networks will finally be approaching true widespread availability such that all the new uses that nobody's even thought of yet will be just starting to come to fruition.
    And the carriers will be harping on about 6G Evolution.

Yeah, the 5G stuff is all hype, but the carriers are pushing that hype to drive sales, by claiming to have the first/most extensive/fastest 5G network (usually all different carriers). I'd be interested to know how many sales of non-5G phones this drives. I mean, obviously they're selling 5G phones, but those are all really expensive. I wonder how many people hear about 5G, talk to someone in the store, and wind up with a 4G phone "on Australia's* premier 5G network".

* Australia used for illustrative purposes only. The two main carriers have started to push it heavily, without necessarily connecting it to specific hardware.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    And again something inside me goes deeply awed „you can actually earn money from this?”
    But then, The Amazing Criswell did as well. 
  • Reply 14 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    People are missing an important angle. The questions of 'what 5G can do' and 'how good coverage is' are not relevant.

Any new technology gets marketed to the hilt and 5G (being an infrastructure and end user technology) is no different. This is like 3D TVs, curved screens, UHD and of course, 4G.

When the marketers start pushing a technology, consumers will enquire about it. If the product doesn't have that technology, you are on the back foot from the start.

That is what is important. It is important to Apple too but obviously you will never hear them admit it.

People try to play down missing 5G on iPhones. Going so far as to claim it will be years before it takes off. If that were the case Apple didn't have any pressing need to sign a temporary deal with QC (stopping a potentially game changing court case in the process) to guarantee access to a 5G modem. They could have waited until 5G was truly 'ready' and stuck with 4.5G.

The reason they didn't go down that route (and are rumoured to be putting 5G on the entire refresh next year) is that they know it is in fact of extreme importance to have 5G as soon as possible. 

5G is rolling out worldwide, now. In some places it has been accelerated and one of those places (China) is a major market. A major market for Apple too. Make no mistake.

Trudging through virtually all of 2020 without a 5G iPhone will be a slog. And in a market where they have been suffering a lot with handset sales. Europe isn't sitting on its laurels either. Switzerland will reach 95% 5G coverage soon. 

I am already being blitzed by 5G marketing. MWC2020 early next year will take things to a whole new level and prospective buyers will have the term engraved on their minds.

Currently, 5G phones are flagship phones. Next month they will hit the midrange and next year they will be everywhere. We already know this because the manufacturers of the major SoCs have either made their roadmaps official or will do so at MWC.

What we do with 5G and if we have coverage, is the least of anyone's problems. That is how marketing works.

However, unlike 3D TVs, we will see massive use cases for 5G in both the corporate and consumer arenas.

If 5G is coming your way and you are on a 3 or 4 year upgrade cycle, you really need to think things through before jumping on a new iPhone because this time next year (10 months into your cycle), Apple will be all over 5G - with its own marketing.

Ten months for a potential buyer is a long time. Ten months for a current buyer - flies.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 39
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    omasou said:
    Don't extrapolate your local situation to the the rest of the world.  In some countries 5G has really taken off.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamcrowley
  • Reply 16 of 39
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    Once 5G gets rolling the carriers will alter plans to force us into higher tiers and stick those who don’t switch with throttled plans. That’s really all this is about. At some point the will kill 4G/LTE and fleece is all. 

I’m still waiting for a use case. Verizon has (maybe had) a commercial noting that 5G will allow remote surgery. Who in their right mind would allow someone to operate on them via a cellular connection. Everyone knows how unreliable mobile phones are. If automobiles just turned off (dropped calls) randomly or lost steering (chopped up calls) no one would put up with it. 

I don’t know how I would feel at remote surgery over fiber to a wired network, but I know wireless and surgery don’t go together. 

Earlier mobile technologies were chasing known use cases (playing audio and the video in real time and gaming). 5G will have valid use cases for the masses, but they don’t exist now so there is no reason for the hype other than greed. 
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    People are missing an important angle. The questions of 'what 5G can do' and 'how good coverage is' are not relevant.

Any new technology gets marketed to the hilt and 5G (being an infrastructure and end user technology) is no different. This is like 3D TVs
    And that's where I stopped reading.
    tmay
  • Reply 18 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    M68000 said:
    omasou said:
    Yeah,  good point. ....
    "Why is everyone so focused on 5G phones when 5G networks in any practical form don't exist."
    "Yeah,  good point"

It would be a good point -- if it were actually true....

edited November 2019 Exodus
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Yeh, the article is probably correct.   Which leaves the question:  Why would one buy a 4G 2019 phone unless:  !) Their existing phone stopped working.  Or, 2) They planned on trading it in in 2020 or, at the latest, 2021?   (Or, 3) They live out in the boon docks where effective broadband will likely never happen anyway)

So, far there's a vocal minority spreading a lot of FUD about 5G.  But regardless, it's coming.  Apple is already late to the party, but its good to hear they will likely catch-up quickly.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Any new technology gets marketed to the hilt and 5G (being an infrastructure and end user technology) is no different. This is like 3D TVs
    And that's where I stopped reading.
    That was likely a mistake.