New Olloclip lenses and cases enhance cameras on iPhone 11, Pro, Pro Max

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
The bolt-on lens manufacturer Olloclip has released a new range of protective cases and one-piece clip lenses for Apple's latest iPhones, bringing them a new macro feature plus extra stability.

One of the new Olloclip lenses clipped to an iPhone
One of the new Olloclip lenses clipped to an iPhone

Long-time makers of extra lenses for the Apple iPhone and other smartphones, Olloclip has now updated its range to fit the new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max. These lenses clip on to the phone and provided extra photography and video features such as a macro zoom for what the company describes as like using a "digital microscope."

"With the arrival of the iPhone 11 series and Samsung's new S series, Olloclip is proud to continue innovating exciting solutions for mobile photographers who just want to shoot on their phones," said CEO Jim Weisz.

"Olloclip's unique unibody clips make attachment to the phone a breeze, and our precise engineering ensures that whatever lens is being used fits perfectly every time," he continued.

Olloclip lenses on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
Olloclip lenses on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max

The company is selling two new types of case for each of the 2019 model iPhones. There's a Classic Case which is clear with a black rim, and a Charcoal one with a darker finish. Both cost $39.99 direct from the maker.

The lenses are being sold both in kit collections and individually. On their own, lenses come in one of ten types from telephoto to ultrawide, and costing from $39.99 to $119.99. Users have to also buy a clip in order to add any of the lenses to their phones, and that retails for $29.99.

One of the new Olloclip protective cases for iPhone
One of the new Olloclip protective cases for iPhone

This clip is a new design especially for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max. The company says that it is redesigning its clip for the iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. The reworked clip will let owners use the new lenses from some time in December.

Olloclip also says that it will be offering a series of three lens kits, although currently only the ElitePack and Macro ProPack are available on its site.

The former includes the new clip plus the macro lens and telephoto one for $129. The latter, the Macro ProPack, features a choice of clip plus all five macro lenses in a custom case for $199.99.

The third option is to be an Olloclip StartPack. For $79.99, it includes the telephoto lens, a Superwide Start lens and an Ultrawide Start Lens.

Most recently, Olloclip introduced a Pro and Intro version of its clip-on lenses and AppleInsider has previously recommended Olloclip for iPhone X as the best budget lens system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12

There seems to be no mention on what the viewing angle is for the  Superwide and Ultrawide lens. The Fisheye lens is 180°.

With the slight barrelling that is evident in the built-in wide angle lens on the iPhone, which is 120°, I'm not sure how useful the wider angle lenses will be. Of course, the Fisheye lens is really more for creative stuff.

The Telephoto lens is 2x, so it gives a total zoom of 4x when used with the iPhone's telephoto lens, which is nice.

There are 6 different Macro options - 7x, 10x, 14x, 15x and 21x.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    What I would really like is for Apple to figure out some way to design into the case a universal lens attachment, so that all these manufacturers won’t have to come up with their proprietary designs. Those are all clumsy. You can’t buy the case you want because you have to use theirs. You really can’t mix and match lenses, because you have to buy, and carry an adapter, or case for each one.
    edited November 2019 jony0
  • Reply 3 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh that's wonderful, maybe I won't need my latest toy now after all?

• Reply 4 of 12
    MacPro said:

Correct. I'll be by soon to relieve you of this burden.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    MacPro said:

Oh, trust me, it is a burden.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 6 of 12
    MacPro said:

LOL, actually you don't know how close you are to the truth.  Burden is right.  I have it on trial and at my age I just may not keep it, even with an Alpha mirrorless at seven pounds after an hour it feels like ten times that holding it without a tripod or a mono pod.  I really need one of those motorized upper body exoskeletons.  OK watching the Avengers on Disney+ I admit it.
    forgot usernameking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

LOL, actually you don't know how close you are to the truth.  Burden is right.  I have it on trial and at my age I just may not keep it, even with an Alpha mirrorless at seven pounds after an hour it feels like ten times that holding it without a tripod or a mono pod.  I really need one of those motorized upper body exoskeletons.  OK watching the Avengers on Disney+ I admit it.
    Yup. I ain’t what I used to was. I rented the 400 f2.8 for a week. It felt like a month. I really love the new 28-70 f2 for the R, but should I?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    melgross said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

Yup. I ain’t what I used to was. I rented the 400 f2.8 for a week. It felt like a month. I really love the new 28-70 f2 for the R, but should I?
    I know the reviews often slam it but I've found by far the most useful lens in my kit (which includes a lot of Canon L lenses and a Metabones V too but no Canon body any more)  is the Sony 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3.  I have the Sony 24-105 f/4 to compare and frankly see no difference between test shots at the same FL on the iMac 5K screen in Capture One and that extra reach is just so useful.  On trips abroad I now just take the 24-240mm it's so light and convenient.  I must admit the the whole large aperture mania I had with Canons doesn't seem as crucial with the Sony low light capabilities and superior IS. I get great DOF control and bokeh at f/4.  The Alphas have changed everything I thought I knew about photography.  This 200-600mm is a hard decision though.  We live in Florida surrounded by many lakes and a ton of wildlife and my Canon 100-400L was never quite enough reach.  This beast is just mind blowing, sharp instant focus and the AF-Lock on really works even at 600mm.  The question is do I need the 9ii ... should I?  lol.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

I recently had opportunity to don 100 pounds of firefighter gear and crawl around in simulated smoke. I was amazed at how easy it was ... followed by feeling 49 going on 118 for the next coupla daze.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

I know the reviews often slam it but I've found by far the most useful lens in my kit (which includes a lot of Canon L lenses and a Metabones V too but no Canon body any more)  is the Sony 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3.  I have the Sony 24-105 f/4 to compare and frankly see no difference between test shots at the same FL on the iMac 5K screen in Capture One and that extra reach is just so useful.  On trips abroad I now just take the 24-240mm it's so light and convenient.  I must admit the the whole large aperture mania I had with Canons doesn't seem as crucial with the Sony low light capabilities and superior IS. I get great DOF control and bokeh at f/4.  The Alphas have changed everything I thought I knew about photography.  This 200-600mm is a hard decision though.  We live in Florida surrounded by many lakes and a ton of wildlife and my Canon 100-400L was never quite enough reach.  This beast is just mind blowing, sharp instant focus and the AF-Lock on really works even at 600mm.  The question is do I need the 9ii ... should I?  lol.
    Just when we thought photography was boring. A lot of really good selections these days. The new generation of lenses is remarkable. We’ll see where Nikon is going with it’s mirrorless line. So far pretty good, but not great consumer lenses. Right now, Canon and Sony have the edge. The new L mount has some excellent lenses, but just a few. I wonder how well that will do in the next few years. Panasonic and Sigma are betting on it, and Leica may gain something with their new camera. A sort of new mount in an age of seriously declining sales where Samsung bowed out several years ago and where Olympus and Pentax are on their last legs. Fuji seems to be doing ok, for their small share (but a big company). Leica, meh. Sigma never did well with their odd Foveon models. Hasse is very small. And mostly, that about it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12

MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

I recently had opportunity to don 100 pounds of firefighter gear and crawl around in simulated smoke. I was amazed at how easy it was ... followed by feeling 49 going on 118 for the next coupla daze.
    I get it. I’m just 70 and going on...?
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 12 of 12
    melgross said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

Just when we thought photography was boring. A lot of really good selections these days. The new generation of lenses is remarkable. We’ll see where Nikon is going with it’s mirrorless line. So far pretty good, but not great consumer lenses. Right now, Canon and Sony have the edge. The new L mount has some excellent lenses, but just a few. I wonder how well that will do in the next few years. Panasonic and Sigma are betting on it, and Leica may gain something with their new camera. A sort of new mount in an age of seriously declining sales where Samsung bowed out several years ago and where Olympus and Pentax are on their last legs. Fuji seems to be doing ok, for their small share (but a big company). Leica, meh. Sigma never did well with their odd Foveon models. Hasse is very small. And mostly, that about it.
    I feel the same I have totally regained my passion that I had all but lost.  For me, it is totally due to the latest Alpha range.  After most of the day out with the 200-600mm G walking around a lake on a crystal clear day here in Florida that's teaming with exotic birds, I have decided it is a keeper.  The hit rate is just astounding.  I am getting used to it too, it doesn't seem as heavy.