Apple confirms 16-inch MacBook Pro 'popping' sound is software issue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited February 2020
Apple in a document sent to service providers this week confirmed recent reports of "popping" or "clicking" noises emanating from new 16-inch MacBook Pro models, saying the issue stems from a software bug that will be patched in a future macOS update.

16-inch MacBook Pro

According to an internal memo obtained by MacRumors, Apple is investigating a fix to the software-related problem. As such, repair personnel are advised to refrain from setting up service appointments or replacing affected MacBook Pro units.

"When using Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, QuickTime Player, Music, Movies, or other applications to play audio, users may hear a pop come from the speakers after playback has ended," the document reads. "Apple is investigating the issue. A fix is planned in future software updates. Do not set up service, or replace the user's computer, as this is a software-related issue."

A growing number of users have reported hearing "popping" or "clicking" sounds from the 16-inch MacBook Pro's speakers since the new laptop launched in November, with customers detailing the problem in an Apple Support pages forum entry, on YouTube and across social media.

In most cases, the aberrant sounds are heard when pausing or scrubbing through audio and video files, though closing a media playback app might also trigger the noise.

Past Apple notebooks have suffered from similar issues, including the 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. In 2017, a small number of users reported hearing a "pinging" or "popping" noise coming from within the chassis during periods of heavy use.

Similar sounds caused alarm for MacBook Pro owners in 2016. One of the earliest recorded instances of MacBook Pro "popping" can be traced back to 2007, when the issue prompted Apple to release an update to its then-current OS X Tiger operating system.

While it has seemingly narrowed down the latest problem to software, Apple did not provide repair facilities an estimated timeline on a planned fix.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    The same weasel who ate the SD card slot is surely the source of these pops.  Even without the beloved slot, one still needs to pawn his winter coat to afford the machine.

POP!  There goes the weasel.
    anonconformistRobJenkrare
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Separately, I appreciated AppleInsider's recent video comparing the 17" MBP with the 16".  Naturally I disagree with the conclusion that the 16" is better in every way.  When one ponders the connectivity options we've lost, it's no surprise that the 17" still holds a special place in the hearts of owners worldwide.  I think most could even live without a retina screen if they could just have updated performance and slimmer bezels while retaining all those glorious ports that once made the MacBook "Pro."
    edited December 2019 mike54RobJenk
  • Reply 3 of 36
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    jdw said:
    The same weasel who ate the SD card slot is surely the source of these pops.  Even without the beloved slot, one still needs to pawn his winter coat to afford the machine.

POP!  There goes the weasel.
    If you're trying to be funny, you failed miserably. 
    acheron2018StrangeDayschiamwhitelkruppmac_dogjdb8167Rayz2016pscooter63pulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 36
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Glad to read that. My early 2011 is up for replacement as my dSLR files have way overwhelmed it. 

Sound isn’t an issue but it’s always good to have an optimum start. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I really don’t get this arm waving because Apple no longer provides discontinued technological relic ports. 

Perhaps I got it all out my system when everything went to USB.  But seriously, would you like an RS-232 plug to go with your micro USB?  Can you make do with a DB-9? Or are you a purist and want a DB-25?  How about a parallel port for your 40 year old 16 inch printer?

Hubs!  They cost about $5 and you can plug anything you want into it!  Not really an unbearable compromise to not have your computer case festooned on 3 sides with plugs you’ll use once every 8 years. 
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichchiamwhitemac_dogjdb8167Rayz2016pscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    jdw said:
    Separately, I appreciated AppleInsider's recent video comparing the 17" MBP with the 16".  Naturally I disagree with the conclusion that the 16" is better in every way.  When one ponders the connectivity options we've lost, it's no surprise that the 17" still holds a special place in the hearts of owners worldwide.  I think most could even live without a retina screen if they could just have updated performance and slimmer bezels while retaining all those glorious ports that once made the MacBook "Pro."
    Ya I’m crying in my cups over the lost network jack and Express Card. Such a travesty.

Nah. Santa was at the Apple Store today and it’s a damn fine notebook. 
    chiaRayz2016fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member

I really don’t get this arm waving because Apple no longer provides discontinued technological relic ports. 

Perhaps I got it all out my system when everything went to USB.  But seriously, would you like an RS-232 plug to go with your micro USB?  Can you make do with a DB-9? Or are you a purist and want a DB-25?  How about a parallel port for your 40 year old 16 inch printer?

Hubs!  They cost about $5 and you can plug anything you want into it!  Not really an unbearable compromise to not have your computer case festooned on 3 sides with plugs you’ll use once every 8 years. 
    Mah ports!
    acheron2018pulseimagesfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Ah, StrangeDays and Macxpress...  You both are consistent with your style of posts, I'll give you that.  But the fundamental difference between the style of you two gentlemen and myself is that I don't attack my fellow Mac lovers but instead chose to both praise and boldly criticize my beloved Macs and Apple as I see the need arise.  Apple is large enough to defend themselves without your help.

Set your eyes on something higher rather than merely defend the mundane status quo.  Technology is a moving target that can and should be made better over time.  Sometimes mistakes are made and changes take place that seem to take us back (from scissors to butterflies to scissors), yet the end result is an improvement.  The other fascinating thing in all this is, if Apple did come out with a new MBP with internal SD card slot again, people like myself would be overjoyed, and you two gentlemen would still be just as happy and satisfied as you are today.  

I therefore cannot help but remain firm in my persistent call for MBP improvements that please more of us.  And if my voice encourages others to send like-mannered feedback to Apple, all the better!  That doesn't mean fitting everything and kitchen sink in there, but it does mean bringing good things we once had back to the table of consideration again.  Doing that would not be a brick wall blocking progress but instead evidence of an open mind and heart of care for the Mac consumer.
    mike54avon b7RobJenkdysamoriagatorguychemengin1Sanctum1972muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    jdw said:
    Ah, StrangeDays and Macxpress...  You both are consistent with your style of posts, I'll give you that.  But the fundamental difference between the style of you two gentlemen and myself is that I don't attack my fellow Mac lovers but instead chose to both praise and boldly criticize my beloved Macs and Apple as I see the need arise.  Apple is large enough to defend themselves without your help.

Set your eyes on something higher rather than merely defend the mundane status quo.  Technology is a moving target that can and should be made better over time.  Sometimes mistakes are made and changes take place that seem to take us back (from scissors to butterflies to scissors), yet the end result is an improvement.  The other fascinating thing in all this is, if Apple did come out with a new MBP with internal SD card slot again, people like myself would be overjoyed, and you two gentlemen would still be just as happy and satisfied as you are today.  

I therefore cannot help but remain firm in my persistent call for MBP improvements that please more of us.  And if my voice encourages others to send like-mannered feedback to Apple, all the better!  That doesn't mean fitting everything and kitchen sink in there, but it does mean bringing good things we once had back to the table of consideration again.  Doing that would not be a brick wall blocking progress but instead evidence of an open mind and heart of care for the Mac consumer.
    The difference between you and them, is that you're a predictable, chronic troll. Consistently replying with trollish, off topic remarks that have nothing to do with the thread at hand. And if you think Apple is going to go back and add ancient ports, and that is the definition of "being made better over time", then you're insane. USB-C is an infinitely flexible, robust, powerful, and expandable port, and it's the future. There is zero reason to shove in space wasting, single-function ports that sacrifice internal storage, and that most users might never, ever use, just to appease a tiny minority like yourself who can't move on and are obsessed with ranting about the same damn thing over and over. 

What's wrong with spending $10 on a dock or adapter to get you any port you want? Doesn't that make more sense than shoving these ports into every SINGLE machine, regardless of whether or not most people will use them? It's you that needs an open mind. Not Apple, and not the people you're responding to. Apple's path is the obvious way forward, and it's short-sighted people like you that somehow can't accept that. 
    edited December 2019 chiamwhiteacheron2018jcs2305macxpressmac_dogjdb8167Rayz2016pscooter63zoetmb
  • Reply 10 of 36
    slurpy said:
    jdw said:

The difference between you and them, is that you're a predictable, chronic troll. Consistently replying with trollish, off topic remarks that have nothing to do with the thread at hand. And if you think Apple is going to go back and add ancient ports, and that is the definition of "being made better over time", then you're insane. USB-C is an infinitely flexible, robust, powerful, and expandable port, and it's the future. There is zero reason to shove in space wasting, single-function ports that sacrifice internal storage, and that most users might never, ever use, just to appease a tiny minority like yourself who can't move on and are obsessed with ranting about the same damn thing over and over. 

What's wrong with spending $10 on a dock or adapter to get you any port you want? Doesn't that make more sense than shoving these ports into every SINGLE machine, regardless of whether or not most people will use them? It's you that needs an open mind. Not Apple, and not the people you're responding to. Apple's path is the obvious way forward, and it's short-sighted people like you that somehow can't accept that. 
    I see you have chosen to join with the other two fellows.  Again, I have not attacked you or the other two gentlemen or any of my fellow forum members or the author of the article under which we are now commenting.  You have, however, without mercy, thrown the "troll" and "insane" and "short-sighted" stones at me simply because you are satisfied and therefore disagree with my contentions.  These days, I am no stranger to that.  I show the scars of many such attacks within this forum.  But there once was a time when numerous voices said things similar to what I'm saying now, such that I had no need to say them myself.  Many of those good folks seem to have been scared off by an increasing number of forum attacks.  I, however, have not.  I stand by what I write.

Your contention about the ports mentioned mentioned by me as being "ancient" is incorrect insofar as even the iMac Pro has USB-A and the SD Card slot.  To call them "ancient" would be a direct bash against the iMac Pro, and I doubt that was your intention.  And yes, there is room aplenty for those ports and an SD card slot on the 16" MBP.

It's rather amusing that people to this day still say "USB-C is the FUTURE" despite the fact it's been on the market several years and still USB-A remains ubiquitous.  The vast majority of thumb drives are still USB-A, and people use them all the time despite the existence of wireless means to transfer files.  You also overlook the fact that to make USB-C "any port" you need a dongle.  Ditto for SD cards.  This is not a knock against USB-C as much as it is a factual reality that cannot be denied.  To indirectly suggest that "all we need is USB-C" overlooks the fact that dongles get lost or forgotten; and in a pinch, you cannot afford to be without those things.  That's why having most of what you need built-in saves your bacon "as a PRO."  That remains true even if you are a perfect human being and have never lost a dongle in your entire life.  

You also overlook the fact that Apple has more than one notebook line.  Apple could easily gut the MacBook Air of all but USB-C for folks such as yourself, while adding ports galore in the MacBook Pro.  That once was true until Apple decided to gut important features from ALL its MacBooks.  But like I said in my earlier post.  If Apple added back the SD card slot, neither you nor the other two gentlemen who attacked me would be upset at all, and folks such as myself would be overjoyed.  It really would be a win-win situation for all.

The real definition of having an "open mind" does not include casting stones at others merely because they choose to Think Different.  Again, my beef is with a computer and the world's largest corporation, not you folks in this forum.  True, I make the deliberate choice to write some rather provocative words, but those words are not stones directed at any of you.

Currently, there's seems to be an unspoken rule among many that what Apple gives us is all we should ever need and such should never, ever be questioned.  I am sorry, but I am not fond of that unspoken rule.  I also feel no need to be perpetually satisfied with the status quo.  You can quote me, disagree with me or vilify me, but ignoring me you seem unable to do, as evidenced by your remarks on what I have written.  I seek to change things by showing others that thinking outside the status quo box is still very much alive.  We really can wish for something more and not be wrong.  Some will categorized me as one of the crazy ones, but I believe Apple is open-minded enough to see the genius in giving their valued customs more value for their dollar.  

I remember the days when I was on Guy Kawasaki's Evangelist.  I had nothing, and I mean nothing, ill to say against Apple or its products in those days.  And that was when everybody was saying Apple was going to die.  I still believed in Apple.  I loved Apple.  And that love has been ongoing since my Mac 128k in 1984.  But in recent years important things have been taken away, leaving many of us bewildered.  Some folks like yourself don't care, but why you gentlemen chose to launch attacks against those of us who are bewildered is in and of itself bewildering.  But despite the naysaying, I press forward.  I want Apple to succeed but I also want them to satisfy consumer needs.  I'm pleased that your every need is currently satisfied.  I can only hope my needs will one day be met as well.

Stay Foolish.
    mike54anonconformistRobJenkdysamoriagatorguychemengin1ctt_zhSanctum1972philboogierare
  • Reply 11 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jdw said:
      I can only hope my needs will one day be met as well.

Then you’ll go to your grave hoping. Just saying.
    Rayz2016fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    A bit wordy, but he’s not wrong. The behavior on this forum is way more bootlicking than rational.
    gatorguyphilboogiejdwSanctum1972muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    To hear that this popping issue is software correctable is very positive news. My fear for this type of anomaly was that it would be a component in the analog audio circuitry, like a bad capacitor, which would require opening up the case. Nobody likes technical glitches but at least this one will be an easy and low cost fix.
    caladanianpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    jdw said:

I can only hope my needs will one day be met as well.

Stay Foolish.

The fuckin SD Card slot is NEVER coming back! If you want that, then go buy a different brand. Its never coming back, along with USB-A, Ethernet, FW, DB9 (Serial), 56k Modem, Aux video, etc. 

Unless you can prove that Apple is losing massive sales in their MacBook line from the lack of legacy ports then you have absolutely no argument with this topic. I'm sorry it doesn't suit your needs, but Apple knows what its primary market wants a lot better than any of us (which we are not Apple's primary market BTW)
    edited December 2019 jdb8167netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    jdw said:

I'm not on either side but I can see the writing on the wall and it gets tiresome to see constant posts about stuff like this. It's quite obvious that not enough people give a shit about the SD card slot or else Apple would have caved and built it back into its MacBook line up, or at least one model in the line up, similar to what it did to fix the keyboard people were complaining about. 

As far as the SD Card slot goes, basically you can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first....
    edited December 2019 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Stay Foolish.
    Attack.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    jdw said:
    slurpy said:
    jdw said:

I see you have chosen to join with the other two fellows.  Again, I have not attacked you or the other two gentlemen or any of my fellow forum members or the author of the article under which we are now commenting.  You have, however, without mercy, thrown the "troll" and "insane" and "short-sighted" stones at me simply because you are satisfied and therefore disagree with my contentions.  These days, I am no stranger to that.  I show the scars of many such attacks within this forum.  But there once was a time when numerous voices said things similar to what I'm saying now, such that I had no need to say them myself.  Many of those good folks seem to have been scared off by an increasing number of forum attacks.  I, however, have not.  I stand by what I write.

Your contention about the ports mentioned mentioned by me as being "ancient" is incorrect insofar as even the iMac Pro has USB-A and the SD Card slot.  To call them "ancient" would be a direct bash against the iMac Pro, and I doubt that was your intention.  And yes, there is room aplenty for those ports and an SD card slot on the 16" MBP.

It's rather amusing that people to this day still say "USB-C is the FUTURE" despite the fact it's been on the market several years and still USB-A remains ubiquitous.  The vast majority of thumb drives are still USB-A, and people use them all the time despite the existence of wireless means to transfer files.  You also overlook the fact that to make USB-C "any port" you need a dongle.  Ditto for SD cards.  This is not a knock against USB-C as much as it is a factual reality that cannot be denied.  To indirectly suggest that "all we need is USB-C" overlooks the fact that dongles get lost or forgotten; and in a pinch, you cannot afford to be without those things.  That's why having most of what you need built-in saves your bacon "as a PRO."  That remains true even if you are a perfect human being and have never lost a dongle in your entire life.  

You also overlook the fact that Apple has more than one notebook line.  Apple could easily gut the MacBook Air of all but USB-C for folks such as yourself, while adding ports galore in the MacBook Pro.  That once was true until Apple decided to gut important features from ALL its MacBooks.  But like I said in my earlier post.  If Apple added back the SD card slot, neither you nor the other two gentlemen who attacked me would be upset at all, and folks such as myself would be overjoyed.  It really would be a win-win situation for all.

The real definition of having an "open mind" does not include casting stones at others merely because they choose to Think Different.  Again, my beef is with a computer and the world's largest corporation, not you folks in this forum.  True, I make the deliberate choice to write some rather provocative words, but those words are not stones directed at any of you.

Currently, there's seems to be an unspoken rule among many that what Apple gives us is all we should ever need and such should never, ever be questioned.  I am sorry, but I am not fond of that unspoken rule.  I also feel no need to be perpetually satisfied with the status quo.  You can quote me, disagree with me or vilify me, but ignoring me you seem unable to do, as evidenced by your remarks on what I have written.  I seek to change things by showing others that thinking outside the status quo box is still very much alive.  We really can wish for something more and not be wrong.  Some will categorized me as one of the crazy ones, but I believe Apple is open-minded enough to see the genius in giving their valued customs more value for their dollar.  

I remember the days when I was on Guy Kawasaki's Evangelist.  I had nothing, and I mean nothing, ill to say against Apple or its products in those days.  And that was when everybody was saying Apple was going to die.  I still believed in Apple.  I loved Apple.  And that love has been ongoing since my Mac 128k in 1984.  But in recent years important things have been taken away, leaving many of us bewildered.  Some folks like yourself don't care, but why you gentlemen chose to launch attacks against those of us who are bewildered is in and of itself bewildering.  But despite the naysaying, I press forward.  I want Apple to succeed but I also want them to satisfy consumer needs.  I'm pleased that your every need is currently satisfied.  I can only hope my needs will one day be met as well.

Stay Foolish.
    I think I'm gonna need some tissues after reading this....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jdw said:
    slurpy said:
    jdw said:

Stay Foolish.
    Truly an epic rebuttal on that...incongruous post, filled with adulation. Hitting it on all points. All in an adult form, with great lines from Apple intertwined; an excellent post. Plus I believe you are right on the port-related views: USB-A, SD Card...

Stay hungry.

jdwSanctum1972muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    jdw said:
    slurpy said:
    jdw said:

Stay Foolish.

When can we look forward to the published edition of the above?

The sad thing is you didn't make a single salient point in that entire essay. And you didn't answer the Q of why it would be a good thing for millions of people to be saddled with ports they might never use, and having valuable internal space and battery life sacrificed for this. I've never used the SD slot and never will. Why do I need the massive slot built in, instead of anyone who needs that getting a $10 adapter that can has SD and a bunch of other ports? So yes, I would be upset if they re-added it. And I consider myself a pro, as I'm a designer that makes 100% of their income through my MBP. Stop pretending all pros need SD slots for some reason. Thats a pretty limited definition. 

The chances of any of those ports coming back to the Macbook line is the same Apple reinstating the 30 pin connector, headphone jack, optical drives, etc. Those chances are nil. And for someone who claims they've been an Apple fan for as long as you have, and have followed the company since the early days, it shocks me how clueless you are about such an obvious statement of fact. If you think there's a chance they're coming back, you don't understand Apple, and never have. Either way, your rants are a massive waste of time. You can make 500 posts a day demanding the return of these posts until you're on your deathbed, and it won't make an ounce of difference. The other, much more logical option is to adapt slightly and move on. So, I question your motivation. 

Its funny how "if USB-C is the future, why is it taking so long?" is your rebuttal. Really? We've had USB-A for decades, you expected it to disappear overnight? And how would keeping a mix of A and C help the transition? It would just delay things even further and keep everything muddled. 

The truth is, it's not Apple who has failed. It's the rest of the industry, who have been so gutless in adopting USB-C because like always, they're terrified of losing a few customers and always need to "hedge their bets" instead of taking a stand and doing the right thing (going all in on USB-C) which would benefit the entire tech industry and consumers long term. Apple is so successful because it has never shied away from taking a principled stand on what technology should be, even in the face of never ending outrage and vitriol of people like you, whether it's not supporting flash on iOS, dropping ancient ports, etc. And history has proven that every single time they've been right, and you've been wrong.

Your stay foolish line is so ironic, as it implies the exact opposite of your desires. Staying foolish means completely ignoring the "LETS KEEP EVERYTHING THE SAME, FOREVER!" people like you. Who will always be around, and will always be an impediment to progress. 
    edited December 2019 macxpresschiaradarthekatRayz2016pscooter63jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Costs have not come down while removing these ports, so who’s benefitting by removing ports that “not everyone uses”? Apple. In fact, prices have been going UP. Probably due to the obsession with thinness.