'The Morning Show' racks up three Screen Actors Guild nominations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleTV+ newsroom drama "The Morning Show" has been nominated twice for outstanding male actor and once for outstanding female actor by the Screen Actors Guild.

The Morning Show

"The Morning Show" is AppleTV+'s newsroom drama centered on the world of morning news. It takes a look at the lives and ambitions of those involved in helping America wake up. The show features several Hollywood heavy hitters, including Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Steve Carell, and Billy Crudup.

The nominations go to both Steve Carell and Billy Crudup for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series. Also nominated are Sterling K. Brown for his role in "This is Us," Peter Dinklage for his role in "Game of Thrones," and David Harbour for his role in "Stranger Things."

Jennifer Aniston has also received a nomination for Outstanding Performance by Female Actor in a Drama Series. She'll be competing against Jelena Bonham Carter and Olivia Coleman for their roles in "The Crown," Jodie Comer for her role in "Killing Eve," and Elisabeth Moss for her role in "The Handmaid's Tale."

In October, Aniston had reported that the quality of AppleTV+ was a deciding factor for her return to the small screen.

Apple has also earned three Golden Globe nominations for The Morning show-- a nomination for best television drama series, and two for best actress. The awards will be announced on January 5, 2020.

Apple has also won Emmys for "Carpool Karaoke" and a technical Emmy for Siri integration into Apple TV hardware.

Apple is also believed to be planning to release films theatrically ahead of their screening on Apple TV+ in order that they can qualify for other awards.

The 77th Golden Globes were announced live today and featured 25 categories across film and television. "The Morning Show" was the sole Apple TV+ series to gain nominations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Correction - Helena, not "Jelena".
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Good for them, but IMO Billy Crudup’s TMS character isn’t special, it’s like Christian Bale doing a Joker impression. You want good male acting? Pick anybody from Netflix’s Mindhunter, they slay. 
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Is this like a movie that win a bunch of awards, then you watch it and think “wow that was bad”?

I haven’t heard complementary things.  But, I’ve also never had an interest in newsrooms...just the news.

Reminds me of: (but replace laws with news)
    Laws are like sausages — it is best not to see them being made”.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Is this like a movie that win a bunch of awards, then you watch it and think “wow that was bad”?

I haven’t heard complementary things.  But, I’ve also never had an interest in newsrooms...just the news.

TMS is a good drama, and I’ve heard complimentary things about it all over the web. 
  • Reply 5 of 14

It's a very well done show that my wife and I really enjoy and had no reason to be bashed as much as it was at launch simply because it was made by Apple. Now, saying that, taste is definitely subjective, and just because I like it or other people like it doesn't mean you will.  I suggest giving it a shot to see what you think, though.
    mattbookairStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    AF_Hitt said:

It's a very well done show that my wife and I really enjoy and had no reason to be bashed as much as it was at launch simply because it was made by Apple. Now, saying that, taste is definitely subjective, and just because I like it or other people like it doesn't mean you will.  I suggest giving it a shot to see what you think, though.

God forbid that someone in this day and age actually do [learn] something for themselves. It’s bad enough most people can’t read beyond headlines or research anything to discover the facts.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

"You haven't heard complementary things"

Try learning to think for yourself. 

Or did you drop this comment because your butt-hurt that AppleTV+ isn't crashing and burning like you hoped it would?

matrix077mattbookairpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:

"You haven't heard complementary things"

Try learning to think for yourself. 

Or did you drop this comment because your butt-hurt that AppleTV+ isn't crashing and burning like you hoped it would?

tbh the show isn't bad, But given the cast, maybe a lot of people expected something better/bigger. I for one can't say I'm always eager to watch the next episode. Maybe ATV+ needs a Baby yoda :)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    The Morning Show is great but not sure the male SAG nominations are warranted compared to Tobias Menzies performance as Duke Phillip in Season 3 of the Crown.  His midlife crisis performance in the “Apollo Episode” was so affecting and perfect and at least the equal of the female nominees.  It speaks to the very subjective quality of these nominations.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

I thought it was over criticised at the start but not as good as the awards would indicate now. Perfectly watchable though. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I love it.  Brilliant writing and Aniston is especially good.
    Andy.Hardwakespice-boy
  • Reply 12 of 14

its sitting at 94% on rotten tomatoes so it cant be that bad
    spice-boy
  • Reply 13 of 14
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

I suggest you watch and then decide for yourself. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    The Morning Show is doing something I didn't expect a movie or TV series would or could do right, explore what and how sexual abuse in the corporate world is covered up and allowed to fester. This show is brilliantly written and portrays the lives of the main characters as real three dimensional humans being and avoids labeling as "all good" or "all bad". I have never worked in a corporate setting but from what friends have told me I believe this show is spot on.