Cellular support for Apple Watch finally arrives in New Zealand

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2019
After years of missing out, New Zealanders are finally able to take advantage of the cellular Apple Watch after the country's first carrier to offer eSIM support takes the service live.

Apple Watch Series 5
Apple Watch Series 5

To date, users in New Zealand were unable to use cellular-capable versions of Apple Watch due to Apple's implementation of wireless network functionality. Specifically, Apple relies on virtual eSIM modules rather than traditional physical SIM cards.

Until now, no carrier in the country supported eSIM cards, meaning Apple Watch owners had to remain tethered to iPhone or known Wi-Fi networks to ferry data and phone calls to the wearable.

Now, as The Herald reports, cellular Apple Watch hardware can be used in New Zealand as local carrier Spark launched support for eSIM alongside Voice over LTE (VoLTE) services. Spark launched the new eSIM support with the One Number Wearable Plan, which at the moment only supports the Apple Watch Series 5. According to Spark, more devices will be added in the future.

As such, GPS + Cellular Apple Watch Series 5 is available to purchase in New Zealand for 929 New Zealand dollars, though cellular access comes at a NZ$200 premium over the GPS-only variant.

Cellular data on Apple Watch allows users to make and receive calls, send messages, and stream music without a nearby iPhone. Cellular support also enables free international emergency calling.

The One Number Wearable plan runs $12.99 which gives the Apple Watch unlimited data, though it can be throttled once it goes past 40GB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I wonder why the adoption is overall so slow. Still waiting in CZ - is it lack of interest from carriers or from Apple?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Now just add international roaming for Apple Watch, please! 
    watto_cobrasvanstromsteveau
  • Reply 3 of 18
    riverko said:
    I wonder why the adoption is overall so slow. Still waiting in CZ - is it lack of interest from carriers or from Apple?
    Central-to-Eastern Europe seems to be a hard place for Apple in general, likely because they both have a small retail footprint in these countries, but also because they're slow into non-English markets. This is also reflected in the generally malnourished state of Apple Maps and other services in these regions (e.g. Apple Pay). 

The result is that "Good enough", but very cheap Android devices being dominant. Apple is known, but comparatively very expensive (2-3x the cost.) The elephant in the room is also socioeconomic values. (The consumer value of advanced personal technology is not consistent from market to market.)

The result is that smart watches don't have much penetration as they tend to rely on premium handsets, and have a minimal service offering. In many of these countries Apple doesn't even market their Edition line, despite there being no technical reason not to.

Sure it would be great if Apple rolled everything out in unison, but I think they're right to focus their efforts to countries that are likely to return value.

One final note: It's often the carriers: Those good enough Android phones make the carriers plenty of $$$, Apple hardware doesn't.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Apple desperately needs to create their own global cellular network with unlimited data & call plans, free roaming, visual voicemail, & esim support consistently everywhere
    Rayz2016JanNLwatto_cobrasteveau
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Ringerrr said:
    Apple desperately needs to create their own global cellular network with unlimited data & call plans, free roaming, visual voicemail, & esim support consistently everywhere
     Completely agree!

jcs2305JanNLwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Ringerrr said:
    I bet that is super easy too. /s 
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Ringerrr said:
    And that would immediately trigger anti-competitive and monopolistic investigations by everybody.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Ringerrr said:
    And that would immediately trigger anti-competitive and monopolistic investigations by everybody.

Not as long as the phone can work on other networks.
    watto_cobrasteveau
  • Reply 9 of 18
    riverko said:
    FTA - “To date, users in New Zealand were unable to use cellular-capable versions of Apple Watch due to Apple's implementation of wireless network functionality. Specifically, Apple relies on virtual eSIM modules rather than traditional physical SIM cards.”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18

Ringerrr said:
    I bet that is super easy too. /s 
    Barely an inconvenience 😎
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Central-to-Eastern Europe seems to be a hard place for Apple in general, likely because they both have a small retail footprint in these countries, but also because they're slow into non-English markets. 

I was going to say “But Un Zud people speak English!” But on reflection, you are probably right.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Oh crap, it's Spark. Ever since Vodafone sold up they've been pretty useless on getting the good stuff in.

Spark is out AT&T. It's an ex-government state-owned asset which got privatised and in doing so sent New Zealand backwards by 30 years. NZ went from having the best telecommunications system in the world due to test contracts with telco manufacturers to being so far behind that when Bell South came in they looked pathetic. When Vodafone purchased Bell South then cellular really began to develop in NZ and Telecom found themselves haemorrhaging customers.

Dealing with Telecom was so bad they've changed their name twice from Telecom to XT to what is now Spark but the service and reliability are still pretty pathetic.

I guess eSIM is a good move for them. It might have many side effects like flowing down to their resellers which would be a good move but that'll be years down the line I suspect.

Hopefully this will enable dual-SIM iPhones to be sold here. I really need a dual-SIM phone for work and play.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 13 of 18
    entropys said:
    Central-to-Eastern Europe seems to be a hard place for Apple in general, likely because they both have a small retail footprint in these countries, but also because they're slow into non-English markets. 

I was going to say “But Un Zud people speak English!” But on reflection, you are probably right.
    Although that was to address the CZ comment, it's still pretty relevant to NZ. NZ's mobile space is basically uncompetitive and dead - when launched the watch relied on a pretty recent technology (eSim, but everyone here knows that of course) which is now pretty mainstream. What this highlights is the criminal lack of competition in NZ's cellular industry - it's a big enough population to have better. (Then again I say this about many central/eastern European countries too.)
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    riverko said:
    FTA - “To date, users in New Zealand were unable to use cellular-capable versions of Apple Watch due to Apple's implementation of wireless network functionality. Specifically, Apple relies on virtual eSIM modules rather than traditional physical SIM cards.”
    And yet our Telcos supported the eSIM in Galaxy Gears for at least a year.  This is more likely the Telcos reticence than Apple though I’m not across different eSIM configs.  Tragically, NZ is sponsored by Google/Samsung.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Oh crap, it's Spark. Ever since Vodafone sold up they've been pretty useless on getting the good stuff in.

Spark is out AT&T. It's an ex-government state-owned asset which got privatised and in doing so sent New Zealand backwards by 30 years. NZ went from having the best telecommunications system in the world due to test contracts with telco manufacturers to being so far behind that when Bell South came in they looked pathetic. When Vodafone purchased Bell South then cellular really began to develop in NZ and Telecom found themselves haemorrhaging customers.

Dealing with Telecom was so bad they've changed their name twice from Telecom to XT to what is now Spark but the service and reliability are still pretty pathetic.

I guess eSIM is a good move for them. It might have many side effects like flowing down to their resellers which would be a good move but that'll be years down the line I suspect.

Hopefully this will enable dual-SIM iPhones to be sold here. I really need a dual-SIM phone for work and play.
    & where’s my visual voicemail!! (I need to get onto Sandeep Khurana again)
    watto_cobralowededwookielostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mcdave said:

& where’s my visual voicemail!! (I need to get onto Sandeep Khurana again)
    I know right? I’ve been after visual voicemail ever since it came out but still nothing.

It gets worse because you need a $39.95 plan then you need to pay $12.95 on top of that to use the Apple Watch. This is indicative of Telecom/XT/Spark who charge ridiculous amounts for services on sellers charge less for. Just let that sink in for a second. Spark’s on sellers can charge less for the services Spark owns and they resell as their own.
  • Reply 17 of 18

Hopefully this move by Spark NZ will force both Vodafone NZ (currently focused on 5G rollouts) & 2 Degrees Mobile will now release support for eSIM in the near future to support the current (& previous) generations of iPhones sold here (by all three carriers !!!)

• Reply 18 of 18
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member

LOL, such a troll. The telco that first releases it then gets slammed for doing so. Any iphone that supports an e-sim is a dual sim. You can use the physical sim and the e-sim for 2 different numbers (with different telcos', e-sim with whoever supports that and a normal sim from any other telco).