Jony Ive donates $129,000 to UK tree-planting effort

Posted:
in General Discussion
Former Apple Chief Design Officer Jony Ive made a sizable donation to a campaign to plant trees across the United Kingdom, with the six-figure gift helping to create one thousand orchards in schools.

The donation of GBP 100,000 ($129,000) by Jony Ive to the Be A Tree Angel campaign joins donations for the same amount from restauranteur Richard Caring, prominent businessman Lord Sugar, and an anonymous donor from the last week. The GBP 400,000 from the four individuals is enough to fund the creation of orchards in 4,000 schools across the country, as well as to provide aftercare to keep the orchards healthy.

Ive told the Daily Mail "I love trees and over the years have climbed them, eaten and fallen from them, and planted as many as I can." Trees were also "profoundly good for learning and creating," according to the designer.

Trees are a fundamental concept for Apple Park's design, according to Ive, with "acres of parkland and orchards" key to its creation. "Being able to contribute to a project so close to my heart is fabulous," Ive added.

The Daily Mail is behind the Be A Tree Angel campaign, working with The Tree Council, which is accepting contributions from its readers and corporate donors for the cause. So far, the effort has raised enough to plant more than 35,000 trees.

It was the dream of late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs to fashion Apple Park's landscaping after the California in which he grew up. In a presentation video made public in 2013, architect Norman Foster said Jobs thought of California as "the fruit bowl of America," and wanted the new campus to reflect the landscapes he remembered as a child.

Along with a forest of drought-resistant varieties dotting the campus grounds, Apple planted groves of apple, apricot, cherry, persimmon and plum trees in and around the main ring structure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Requirement will be that all trees be Apple. 
    watto_cobraMacProrazorpitjony0
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Everything helps, but for a millionaire, I think this is a small donation to a big problem.

Now there needs to be pressure against GAS STATIONS to become green spaces. Every station's canopy should be a green roof by law.

Dontmentionthewar
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Everything helps, but for a millionaire, I think this is a small donation to a big problem.

Thanks for the admiration of all of the millions of you, for my contribution to Apple, who then contributed to Mr Whomever in order to contribute.

Let’s however not exaggerate this effort.
    It’s mere molecular to rebuilding Bangka Island and other environmental disasters sacrificed to tin mining - ruining the planet on behalf of Apple (a.o.) 
    edited December 2019 Dontmentionthewar
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Very good person, mister Ive.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

Always incredible when someone criticizes a "small" donation.  How much did you donate to this cause?  

Yup, zero.  So shut your yap. 
    edited December 2019 MacProsteven n.Solimuthuk_vanalingamequality72521MplsPRayz2016viclauyycjony0
  • Reply 6 of 14
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

Thanks for the admiration of all of the millions of you, for my contribution to Apple, who then contributed to Mr Whomever in order to contribute.

It’s mere molecular to rebuilding Bangka Island and other environmental disasters sacrificed to tin mining - ruining the planet on behalf of Apple (a.o.) 
    No one is "exaggerating" anything. The guy donated $129k to a charity, but for some reason, those who donate nothing feel the need to denigrate the contribution because it doesn't entirely solve the world's problems or because it is tiny relative to his net worth.  By those standards, no one should ever donate anything unless the donation is a large part of their net worth, and solves the ultimate problem. 

There is zero evidence that Apple has directly or indirectly sourced anything from Bangka Island, and even if it had, that has zero to do with Ive's contribution. 

edited December 2019 MacProsteven n.muthuk_vanalingamlkruppequality72521fastasleepviclauyycsteveaujony0
  • Reply 7 of 14
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Now there needs to be pressure against GAS STATIONS to become green spaces. Every station's canopy should be a green roof by law.

All big problems are hundred to thousands of little problems. If all you are doing is sitting in your chair virtue signaling how others should be doing more, then you are one of those little problems.
    muthuk_vanalingamequality72521fastasleepRayz2016jony0
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Yeah, just confiscate everything he has. Will that satisfy your lust for redistribution of wealth? Probably not I would suspect.
    equality72521jony0
  • Reply 9 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

What’s it like knowing your radical ideas will NEVER come to pass, EVER? What’s it like to know that the world doesn’t operate the way you want it to, never has and never will? What’s it like pissing into the wind and wondering why the piss blows back in your face?
    edited December 2019 equality72521jony0
  • Reply 10 of 14
    If he was still with Apple when he did it, Apple would match the contribution. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    flydog said:

Always incredible when someone criticizes a "small" donation.  How much did you donate to this cause?  

yes, he may be a millionaire, but it doesn't matter - he still donated $129,000 of his own money. I doubt the charity so rude as to criticize his donation, rather they likely said 'thank you.'
  • Reply 12 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Requirement will be that all trees be Apple. 
    I would have figured him as a Paper Birch guy. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 13 of 14
    flydog said:

Yeah, good response.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Jony has stipulated that the trees must be poplars (those really thin ones).