Saudi royalty implicated in Amazon Bezos' phone-hacking scandal

Posted:
in General Discussion
The 2018 hacking of Amazon Jeff Bezos' smartphone led to the leaking of compromising information to a newspaper, a private investigation into the affair claims, with the hack allegedly involving a malformed video sent from the WhatsApp account of Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The February 2019 reports publishing details of private photographs and text messages from Bezos to his mistress, Lauren Sanchez, raised questions about device security, as it involved one of the richest men in the world. It was unknown how the data was acquired at the time, but it appears the source was Bezos' personal smartphone, after it was backed months before in May 2018.

U.N. officials are anticipated to report there is evidence to suggest Saudi Arabia hacked the Amazon CEO's smartphone, Reuters reports. The officials are said to be preparing to confirm a digital forensic report from Bezos' security team that the device was most likely compromised by a malware-laden video.

Furthermore, the video was said to be sent from a WhatsApp account owned by Mohammed bin Salman, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia. One month after the compromise, data started to be sent from the phone to the attackers, which was then combed through and distributed to the National Enquirer.

Originally reported by the Guardian, it is unclear what device Bezos used and what data that was acquired in the breach in total, but the amount of data taken was substantial in volume.

The Saudi Arabian embassy in the United States has dismissed the report. A post to Twitter calls the recent reports "absurd," and calls "for an investigation on these claims so that we can have all the facts out."

Recent media reports that suggest the Kingdom is behind a hacking of Mr. Jeff Bezos' phone are absurd. We call for an investigation on these claims so that we can have all the facts out.

-- Saudi Embassy (@SaudiEmbassyUSA)

The statement from the U.N. will be made by Agnes Callamard, special rapporteur for extra-judicial killings, and David Kaye, special rapporteur for free expression, with a fuller report expected to be given to the UN in June. Callamard's involvement is notable as they are involved in the investigation surrounding the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was murdered following a visit to an embassy in 2018.

Khashoggi's investigation also involved hacking, as reports centered around his use of an Apple Watch, which reportedly recorded seven minutes of audio during the attack. The Saudis were said to have managed to wipe some files from Khashoggi's devices, but not from his iCloud account.

Mohammed bin Salman was believed by the CIA to have personally ordered the death of Khashoggi.

The motives behind the Bezos hacking and information release are unclear. Andrew Miller, an expert on the Middle East who worked on the National Security Council under President Obama, suggests that it may have been to exert influence over the billionaire.

"He probably believed that if he got something on Bezos it could shape coverage of Saudi Arabia in the Washington Post" Miller said, referring to the publication owned by Bezos that also published Khashoggi's columns.

The timing of the Bezos data trove coincided with the start of a divorce between Jeff and McKenzie Bezos, with the National Enquirer providing details of Jeff's affair with Sanchez one day after its announcement. Three months later, MacKenzie Bezos received an estimated $36 billion, but handed over holdings and voting rights in Amazon and rocket company Blue Origin to her estranged husband.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The 2018 hacking of Amazon Jeff Bezos' smartphone led to the leaking of compromising information to a newspaper, a private investigation into the affair claims, with the hack allegedly involving a malformed video sent from the WhatsApp account of Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman.

[…]

The timing of the Bezos data trove coincided with the start of a divorce between Jeff and McKenzie Bezos, with the National Enquirer providing details of Jeff's affair with Sanchez one day after its announcement. Three months later, MacKenzie Bezos received an estimated $36 billion, but handed over holdings and voting rights in Amazon and rocket company Blue Origin to her estranged husband.
    1) Damn! From from the prince's account.

2) For MacKenzie this is a good thing. Her then husband is scum and she's better off without him. I wish she had gotten half since they were together long before Amazon (nee Cadabra) and they had no pre-nup, but I don't think I'd turn down $36 billion to cut ties. I had read that he was trying to create a post-nup. To use a recent tweet I saw about Jeff Bezos worth, MacKenzie's net worth breaks down as this: If you earned $48816 per day since the (stated) birth of Jesus you still wouldn't have as much money as MacKenzie Bezos.

Maths: $36,000,000,000 ÷ (365.25 × 2019 + 22) = $48,816.09
    edited January 2020 dysamoriaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Soli said:

[…]

2) For MacKenzie this is a good thing. Her then husband is scum and she's better off without him. I wish she had gotten half since they were together long before Amazon (nee Cadabra) and they had no pre-nup, but I don't think I'd turn down $36 billion to cut ties. I had read that he was trying to create a post-nup. To use a recent tweet I saw about Jeff Bezos worth, MacKenzie's net worth breaks down as this: If you earned $,48802 per day since the (stated) birth of Jesus you still wouldn't have as much money as MacKenzie Bezos.
    "If you earned $48,802 per day since the (stated) birth of Jesus you still wouldn't have as much money as MacKenzie Bezos."

Consider that for 2019, the median salary in the USA was approximately $47,000. That statement demonstrates wealth inequality so well.
    dysamoriampw_amherstStrangeDaysCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    What kind of phone did he use?  

How ironic if his spite of Apple kept him from using an iPhone.  It cost him billions.  Plus, it sounds like there are naked images of him floating around.  Wait till that shoe drops  
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 30
    red oak said:

How ironic if his spite of Apple kept him from using an iPhone.  It cost him billions.  Plus, it sounds like there are naked images of him floating around.  Wait till that shoe drops  
    If there are naked images of him then the shoes and all his other apparel have already dropped.
    razorpitgatorguycincyteeStrangeDaysfastasleepFileMakerFellerCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Soli said:

[…]

2) For MacKenzie this is a good thing. Her then husband is scum and she's better off without him. I wish she had gotten half since they were together long before Amazon (nee Cadabra) and they had no pre-nup, but I don't think I'd turn down $36 billion to cut ties. I had read that he was trying to create a post-nup. To use a recent tweet I saw about Jeff Bezos worth, MacKenzie's net worth breaks down as this: If you earned $,48802 per day since the (stated) birth of Jesus you still wouldn't have as much money as MacKenzie Bezos.
    "If you earned $48,802 per day since the (stated) birth of Jesus you still wouldn't have as much money as MacKenzie Bezos."

Consider that for 2019, the median salary in the USA was approximately $47,000. That statement demonstrates wealth inequality so well.
     :( 

Sorry but the barista down the street has not done as much for humanity as Bezos has done. Does he deserve to have that much? Who knows and what difference does it make? If you are that concerned about wealth inequality come up with the idea that will kick his company's ass, then you can redistribute everything you earned.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Saudi Arabia... yep those are our “friends”.

NAS Pensacola shooting declared an 'act of terrorism'
    15 of the 19 hijackers of 911 were from Saudi Arabia
    The killing of Khashoggi

... the hacking Bezos phone seems kind of tame.
    StrangeDaysviclauyycjony0watto_cobraminicoffeebadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 30
    razorpit said:
    Soli said:

[…]

Sorry but the barista down the street has not done as much for humanity as Bezos has done. Does he deserve to have that much? Who knows and what difference does it make? If you are that concerned about wealth inequality come up with the idea that will kick his company's ass, then you can redistribute everything you earned.
    If we're gauging personal wealth based on some measure of what one has done for humanity minus what one has committed against humanity then Bezos, the Waldens, and many others would probably be deficit, and I'd imagine that someone like Tim Berners-Lee would probably be one of the richest people on the planet.

edited January 2020 mpw_amherstStrangeDaysretrogustoCarnageroundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    razorpit said:
    Soli said:

[…]

Congratulations on missing the point (because you want to). No one said a barista should make as much as Jeff Bezos.

As for what “Bezos has done for humanity...”, his business actions have destroyed tons of smaller businesses and threaten economics systems. Try a wider look at things than gadgets and PR.
    SoliStrangeDaysretrogustomailmeoffersCarnagemuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    dysamoria said:
    razorpit said:
    Soli said:

[…]

Congratulations on missing the point (because you want to). No one said a barista should make as much as Jeff Bezos.

As for what “Bezos has done for humanity...”, his business actions have destroyed tons of smaller businesses and threaten economics systems. Try a wider look at things than gadgets and PR.
    If it wasn’t Bezos it would have been someone else.  A large percentage of the population hates shopping.  I shop at Amazon and Costco for 99% of the things I buy.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    This is why you shouldn’t accept funny cat videos from Saudi princes.
    StrangeDaysretrogustoFileMakerFellerviclauyycCarnage
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Everybody spies on everybody of importance. No breaking news there. Does reinforce, though, that the Saudis are not really our friends.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    “We also totally don’t know anything about Jamal Khashoggi.”

Saudi Arabia has zero credibility. If their lips are moving, they’re lying. 
    edited January 2020 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    red oak said:

It's reported to be an iPhone. 
    All phones can be hacked with enough incentive, so it could just as easily (?) been some Fire Phone or Google Android phone. In this case it was apparently an Apple one.
    edited January 2020 muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 14 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

razorpit said:
    Soli said:

[…]

Always amazed by the wannabe wealthy who feel compelled to defend the billionaire class. Your argument is bogus, of course. This isn’t limited to coffee house workers. My SO is a molecular biologist working for the city’s largest employer doing highly skilled work (cloning anti-bodies) to develop cures for major viruses and fevers. I would argue her work is as important “for humanity” as selling books & CDs online. She makes less than the $48k (a day!) amount in a year, and that amount is higher than the median salary in Louisiana, which is a paltry $45,000.

The world’s wealthiest 26 people now own as much as the poorest 50% of the global population. That’s 26 people owning as much as 3.8 billion people. That is wealth inequality. It’s beyond any rational reasoning for why that is totally cool. And it affects more of us than you are willing to admit. At this level of wealth I’m totally fine increasing their taxation rate. At least to the same level I’m taxed at, if not much more. The secretaries working for these billionaires are taxed at a higher payroll rate than the rate billionaires are taxed. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/21/world-26-richest-people-own-as-much-as-poorest-50-per-cent-oxfam-report
    edited January 2020 retrogustoauxiomailmeoffersfastasleepFileMakerFellerCarnageroundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Time to buy an iPhone Jeff
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Reportedly it WAS an iPhone that was hacked. An iPhone X to be specific.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/bezos-phone-hacking-un-calls-for-immediate-investigation.html
    edited January 2020 Carnagemuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 17 of 30
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    There’s something hilarious about the crown prince hacking into Bezos’ phone and ending up with a bunch of naked pics of Bezos. 
    Instant karma!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    gatorguy said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Reportedly it WAS an iPhone that was hacked. An iPhone X to be specific.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/bezos-phone-hacking-un-calls-for-immediate-investigation.html
    I didn’t know iPhones could be hacked via malformed videos. I thought it was more secure 
  • Reply 19 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    dysamoria said:
    razorpit said:
    Soli said:

[…]

Bezos didn’t ruin it.  We the people did.  When YOU buy from Amazon, YOU are taking business away from a local business and giving it TO BEZOS.

stop blaming others and take responsibility.  It gets really old.

if everyone stopped shopping at Amazon, it would be out of business.  Well?
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:
    razorpit said:
    Soli said:

[…]

Bezos didn’t ruin it.  We the people did.  When YOU buy from Amazon, YOU are taking business away from a local business and giving it TO BEZOS.

stop blaming others and take responsibility.  It gets really old.

if everyone stopped shopping at Amazon, it would be out of business.  Well?
    It's far more complex a problem than that.  Amazon has advantages that your local shops simply don't have.  When the median income in the US is $47k, people are forced to look for the cheapest products to make ends meet.  And guess who's cheapest in most cases?
    chemengin1watto_cobra