Replying to a thread is VERY slow

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I've had problems whenever I get to the "Post a Reply" page. It takes forever to load the page, and all it has is a little text entry box and a couple of buttons. Last time I tried it took 89 seconds.

And I think I know the reason, too. For some reason there's a small window near the bottom that contains the entire page of the thread I'm replying to. I replied to the "Post your desktop" thread and the last page of it appeared in that box, which caused it to take forever to load. In fact, it took longer to load than when I clicked on the thread in the first place.

Could someone look into this? It's very annoying and often the computer is too occupied to take heed of my mouse rapidly clicking the "Stop" button. BTW I'm using Mozilla 1.1a.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The site's been slow from time to time lately, it's not just posting replies.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Yes, what's up?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Yes, s l o w . . .

- T.I.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    I find it fine both at work (T1) and at home (56k). Just depends on how many FH spammers are on.

J :cool:
  • Reply 5 of 11
    By far the slowest thing in AI is the 'search all open forums feature.' This task can take several minutes. It's kind of gotten to the point where I'm back to searching individual forums.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>By far the slowest thing in AI is the 'search all open forums feature.' This task can take several minutes. It's kind of gotten to the point where I'm back to searching individual forums.</strong><hr></blockquote>

AFAIK this is more of a UBB problem rather than a specific AI issue.

Smaller BBs will not encounter this problem but other bigger BBs like <a href="http://forums.macnn.com"; target="_blank">MacNN</a> will.

J :cool:
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, the problem went away, after I upgraded to OS X and I went from Mozilla to OmniWeb. Now it's plenty fast. Maybe it's how OmniWeb handles text; maybe it's how Mozilla handles frames (In Mozilla, the thread review was in its own frame, in OmniWeb everything is in the same frame).
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Well, the problem went away, after I upgraded to OS X and I went from Mozilla to OmniWeb. Now it's plenty fast. Maybe it's how OmniWeb handles text; maybe it's how Mozilla handles frames (In Mozilla, the thread review was in its own frame, in OmniWeb everything is in the same frame).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you just got lucky. For me sometimes it's slow in IE, OmniWeb, and Mozilla.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Just getting to the reply page for the topic took 47 seconds, and loading the main page tends to take about 80 seconds. Loading other topics(with no pics) takes around 35 seconds. This is getting SO annoying. BTW, I have DSL and OW4.1. Chimera takes just as long, so I'm pretty sure it isn't OW.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Things were fine when the ads were gone and now theyre a little slower again...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    FYI, it took 4 seconds for this edit box to appear in OW with OS X 10.1.5 and ADSL on a Pismo 500 here in Japan.