Basic ground rules for removing threads entirely

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Hey mods, (any one will do) just wondering what the basic ground rules are for whether or not a thread is locked or flat out removed.

i have a feeling a thread i was posting in just turned to vapor and i'm sure it's because it was a thread regarding warez.

just wondering what kinds of threads are ok, and which ones will not be tolerated, and i guess why.

-alcimedes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    *bump*

so anyone going to answer this or is it just going to sit in limbo?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Any thread posted which is a request for pirated software or contains illegal content is generally removed, as are direct attacks on other forum members. Threads which go way off topic or become flame wars are locked so that people can refer to the original thread content. Threads started which have been covered elsewhere are also locked.

Really it's up to the discrection of the admin/mod who finds the thread but you can use the Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers as a guide:

[quote]Considering the real-time nature of this message board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB or any entity associated with this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Members are limited to one account. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Please try to keep the 'tone' of your posts as mature as possible: it is beneficial to post in an adult manner.<hr></blockquote>

Hope this clears things up for you

J :cool:
  • Reply 3 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you.

i suppose conversations about warez would be considered illegal, but is it really something that should be removed in any way, shape or form?

Whether or not people want to admit it, downloaded software and song and videos have become part of the computer experience. You think it's an accident that suddenly everyone wants 40 GB HD's in their machines?

To remove any mention of these topics cripples these forums IMO, and locks out a huge portion of questions and discussions.

Now I can understand the desire to lock threads that just blather on about 1337 w4r3z and all that crap, but legitimate questions on the topic don't really seem to be that offensive.

Pirated versions of games will often help spur on sales when the title is released. Everyone knows they like the game, and they want a legit copy so they can play online. (well, at least in my world)

Dunno, just seems like overkill. The attack forum members is understandable, but this other part, I guess I'm just questioning whether or not it's really something that should be taboo.

-Alcimedes
  • Reply 4 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>

Whether or not people want to admit it, downloaded software and song and videos have become part of the computer experience. You think it's an accident that suddenly everyone wants 40 GB HD's in their machines?

To remove any mention of these topics cripples these forums IMO, and locks out a huge portion of questions and discussions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whether or not you want to admit it, not removing those threads places MacNN is a delicate position. Remember, this is not a rich megacorp with a fleet of lawyers; a lawsuit by a big and/or determined enough party could shut this place down even if a judge might eventually come down in our favor. Lawsuits take time and cost money.

We do not even want to appear as if we might be condoning or "looking the other way" in response to piracy. Read up on what the Business Software Alliance has been doing if you still can't see why.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    airioxairiox Posts: 20member
    I will go where you want me to go dear Amorph.

Revenge is the only thing worth living for.

lol