'AirPods Pro Lite' allegedly very close to production

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's rumored 'AirPods Pro Lite' may have gained a new member of its supply chain, with a Taiwan firm reportedly on the cusp of providing components for the audio accessories.

AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro

The ongoing outbreak of the coronavirus is continuing to be a problem for Apple's manufacturing plans, both for existing products and for unannounced items. One of those supposedly affected by the virus are the "AirPods Pro Lite," with a launch thought to have been pushed back to later in 2020 due to the production issues relating to the coronavirus.

According to industry sources of DigiTimes, USI has joined the roster of firms trying to gain backend orders relating to the "AirPods Pro Lite." Currently, that roster includes existing AirPods Pro backend service provider Amkor, as well as JCET of China and Murata in Japan.

The sources state USI, a part of ASE Technology, is probably going to acquire some of the system-in-package orders relating to the "Lite" model. The orders are also thought to help assist Taiwanese PCB makers, with USI likely to rely on local firms for SiP substrates, such as Nan Ya PCB and Kinsus Interconnect.

The addition of USI to the supply chain may help assist in bringing the overall production timescale forward. On Monday, it was suggested production for the model "is unlikely to kick off in the second quarter as originally planned," due to suppliers trying to manage the spread of the coronavirus, and Apple having to come up with alternative plans.

The "AirPods Pro Lite" first surfaced in early February and are thought to be a lower-cost variant of the existing AirPods Pro. While it could provide some of the key Pro features like active noise cancellation, no information has floated about what the personal audio accessories will offer to consumers.

DigiTimes' track record on predicting Apple product specifics, product names, or release timing of any device is notoriously bad. However, it does have a decent track record on examining the supply chain. Friday's report falls somewhere in between the extremes of the publication's accuracy record -- but AppleInsider believes that the product name is at best, a placeholder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ...I ask about an 'earpods pro lite' of equal audio quality value ...?
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    I just don't get the purpose of this product?  I was one of the people that couldn't wear the original style Airpods because they just didn't work for my ears.  I waited years for the canal style that is currently the pro form factor.

I wasn't waiting for noise cancellation or transparency mode I was waiting for Airpods that fit..so introducing this new lite version at a lower price point is kind of frustrating if it's true.  I am sure I am not the only person that would feel this way if these are actually announced and released?   I LOVE my Pros, and I love Santa for getting them for me.. B) but this just doesn't sit right with me if true..

trashman69tokyojimu
  • Reply 3 of 19
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Forget it.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Airpods Pro Lite make no sense unless they discontinue the non wireless case for the regular Airpods and lower the wireless case to $160.
    caladanian
  • Reply 5 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Twice a year, the first around this time of it, the rumor mill accelerates into overdrive with almost always inaccurate predictions of new products. We get "renderings" and allegedly "leaked" photographs of those products. Everyone is expecting an Apple "event" at the end of March so the information vacuum has to be filled with... mostly hot air. The second is in September when the new iPhones come out.

The rumor mill has become as predictable as the Sun rising in the East.
    edited February 2020 aegean
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jcs2305 said:
    I just don't get the purpose of this product?  I was one of the people that couldn't wear the original style Airpods because they just didn't work for my ears.  I waited years for the canal style that is currently the pro form factor.

I wasn't waiting for noise cancellation or transparency mode I was waiting for Airpods that fit..so introducing this new lite version at a lower price point is kind of frustrating if it's true.  I am sure I am not the only person that would feel this way if these are actually announced and released?   I LOVE my Pros, and I love Santa for getting them for me.. B) but this just doesn't sit right with me if true..

You don’t get the purpose of a product... which is a rumor? Would you listen to yourself?
    StrangeDayschemengin1MacPro
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jcs2305 said:

....what? You absolutely get the purpose of it. You JUST described yourself as literally the customer for it.

All you wanted was in-ear style fit. You didn't care about the other features of it that drive the prices up. What you wanted was the cheaper version of AirPods Pro without the noise cancellation.

"Doesn't sit right with me"...you mean the fact that Apple releases the high end model first, and then the low end model later, like they do with almost every single product? Get over it.
    StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 19
    jcs2305 said:

....what? You absolutely get the purpose of it. You JUST described yourself as literally the customer for it.

All you wanted was in-ear style fit. You didn't care about the other features of it that drive the prices up. What you wanted was the cheaper version of AirPods Pro without the noise cancellation.

"Doesn't sit right with me"...you mean the fact that Apple releases the high end model first, and then the low end model later, like they do with almost every single product? Get over it.
    Yeah it really leaves you scratching your head. Wut?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    More than likely this is going to be airpods with the pro’s soft tips if it becomes a real product. There are a lot of people who want the design of the pro, but don’t want to pay $249 for it. 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Please just make one model that works and fits very well.  Fewer SKUs saves cost, you can price them right.  

iPad Air needs to go, too.  

caladanian
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jcs2305 said:

I don't need to get over anything.. I was simply giving an opinion about possibly announcing and releasing nearly the same product at a lower price in leas than 6 months.

According to the article it may even have some of the same features as the Pro's .. possibly since it is a rumor ( yes SpamSandwhich I am quite aware this all a rumor, just like the lower priced Homepod Mini ).

While it could provide some of the key Pro features like active noise cancellation, no information has floated about what the personal audio accessories will offer to consumers.

What I said was I wasn't waiting for the other features I was waiting for them to fit.. I didn't say I didn't want or didn't care about the other features.. I got the Pro's for Christmas so the frustration I was referring to was for folks who paid full price such a short time ago, not me personally since I mentioned them being a gift for Christmas. Price overall for these has been a point of contention for a lot of people from what I have seen here and other forums. So some folks may feel slighted if they release these so soon.. As in the case of the iPad 3 and 4 released only about 6 months a part years ago.

Personally I feel the price is right for the technology using the Sony WF-1000XM3 for comparison of features and price.

In the case of the Airpods Apple didn't release a high end product first. they have actually gone up on Price from the original, to the 2nd gen and now the Pros.

I guess my post got taken a bit differently than what I was thinking when writing it..  Didn't expect to get jumped all over for it.. sheesh.  I have the Pro's and love them.. Apple can release whatever the hell they want. I will make sure I have my coffee before I start posting from now on.. Haha

Enjoy your Friday  B)

edited February 2020 kiehtanEwalkaceblu
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Will they add the U1 chip to AirPods? This would really help users find them!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Hmm, I don't know how to feel about the AirPods Pro Lite, but at least they don't look as odd shaped as the AirPods Pro..
  • Reply 14 of 19
    FLMusic said:
    Hmm, I don't know how to feel about the AirPods Pro Lite, but at least they don't look as odd shaped as the AirPods Pro..
    You haven’t seen them yet. Are you referring to the photo of AirPods Pro above? Lol
  • Reply 15 of 19
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I would rather prefer to make AirPods Pro to AirPods Lite, and further enhance AirPods Pro to the next level, in terms of sound quality and better fit.
    edited February 2020 caladanian
  • Reply 16 of 19
    aegean said:
    I would rather prefer to make AirPods Pro to AirPods Lite, and further enhance AirPods Pro to the next level, in terms of sound quality and better fit.
    I totally agree. The sound quality of the pros is “ok” at best. 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    AdambombAdambomb Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    No mute feature on the airpods themself (not the case/phone), its a no go for me
  • Reply 18 of 19
    This is just the replacement of the standard AirPods, based on the design of the Pro.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jcs2305 said:
    jcs2305 said:

I don't need to get over anything.. I was simply giving an opinion about possibly announcing and releasing nearly the same product at a lower price in leas than 6 months.

According to the article it may even have some of the same features as the Pro's .. possibly since it is a rumor ( yes SpamSandwhich I am quite aware this all a rumor, just like the lower priced Homepod Mini ).

While it could provide some of the key Pro features like active noise cancellation, no information has floated about what the personal audio accessories will offer to consumers.

What I said was I wasn't waiting for the other features I was waiting for them to fit.. I didn't say I didn't want or didn't care about the other features.. I got the Pro's for Christmas so the frustration I was referring to was for folks who paid full price such a short time ago, not me personally since I mentioned them being a gift for Christmas. Price overall for these has been a point of contention for a lot of people from what I have seen here and other forums. So some folks may feel slighted if they release these so soon.. As in the case of the iPad 3 and 4 released only about 6 months a part years ago.

Personally I feel the price is right for the technology using the Sony WF-1000XM3 for comparison of features and price.

In the case of the Airpods Apple didn't release a high end product first. they have actually gone up on Price from the original, to the 2nd gen and now the Pros.

I guess my post got taken a bit differently than what I was thinking when writing it..  Didn't expect to get jumped all over for it.. sheesh.  I have the Pro's and love them.. Apple can release whatever the hell they want. I will make sure I have my coffee before I start posting from now on.. Haha

Enjoy your Friday  B)

I thought you post was understandable. I got you point & thought it was valid. You was just stating your personal opinions. I have the same problem. I always wanted AirPods but could never get them to stay in my ear. Now they have the AirPod Pro & they stay in my ear & don’t hurt to wear them. The sound quality is good as well & I am 75% deaf. You keep enjoying your AirPods & have a great day.