Apple under 'great pressure' to respond after investors criticize China app removals

Posted:
in General Discussion
An Apple shareholder proposal critical of Chinese App Store policies failed to gain approval on Wednesday, but experts say a relatively high show of support from investors could prompt the tech giant to respond.

Jobs Theater

In line with Apple's recommendation, shareholders voted down a proposal that sought regular reporting on the company's policies on freedom of expression and access to information, "including whether it has publicly committed to respect freedom of expression as a human right."

Proposal 6 dealt with Apple's decision to remove certain apps from the App Store at the behest of Chinese government officials. Specifically cited incidents included a mass takedown of VPN apps in 2017, the purging of at least 634 "illegal" apps in 2018 and the removal of The New York Times app in 2017. In each case, Apple acted on requests from the Chinese government, a regime known to stifle free speech.

Though it was denied, the proposal gained support from 40.6% of voting shareholders, a much higher tally than similar suggestions enjoyed in past years. In 2018, a proposal to create a human rights committee to deal with workplace and censorship issues in China failed dismally, drawing only 5.6% of votes cast.

According to experts, the spike in support suggests investors are becoming increasingly wary of the optics of Apple's seemingly obsequious relationship with China, reports Reuters.

"A total this high is a striking warning -- and it must have come from big institutional investors, not just retail shareholders -- that Apple's human rights policy in China has become a material risk for the company's reputation," said Stephen Davis, a senior fellow at Harvard Law School's Program on Corporate Governance. "Apple will be under great pressure to respond rather than ignore this vote."

Kern McPherson, vice president of research and engagement for proxy advisory firm Glass, Lewis & Co, said he expects Apple to "engage with its shareholders on the issue and report to shareholders about what happened in the engagements, including any potential actions it intends to take as a result." The firm supported the proposal.

For its part, Apple says it adheres to the laws and regulations of countries in which it operates.

"In these instances, we prioritize engagement, advocating for the outcome we believe is in the best interests of our users. And, while we may disagree with certain decisions at times, we do not believe it would be in the best interests of our users to simply abandon markets, which would leave consumers with fewer choices and fewer privacy protections," Apple said in its proxy statement. "We believe engaging and participating in markets enables us to advocate for policies and practices that are consistent with Apple's values."

Those policies might be ripe for change. According to the report, Apple's senior privacy director, Jane Horvath, in a February letter to open-internet advocacy group Access Now intimated that the company is discussing the issue internally.

"Apple has and always will consider freedom of expression a fundamental human right," Horvath said, adding that the company "will consider providing additional details on our commitment in the future."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The App Store in China is housed on servers under China’s control. Which idiots actually believe Apple has much of a say over which apps can or cannot be offered there?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Freedom of expression has flaws. 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Perhaps Apple should ask the shareholders whether it is ok for them to withdraw all business from China. 

A classic example of (as we say in Germany) “wash me, but don’t make me wet.”
    EsquireCatsleavingthebigg
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It's certainly a scenario where one can see both points of view. Apple seem to be doing a good job of delaying a decision while walking this tightrope, and the Chinese government are also wary of not prodding the bear too much. Unfortunately there does appear to be an eventuality where Apple may have to choose which side to fall, and recent events will only worsen the public's faith in government.
    What Apple appears to understand is that the longer they are in China, the harder it is for the Chinese government to restrict them without serious consequences from their own citizens.

A lot of wealthy Chinese citizens will be royally pissed off if China censors the App store, simultaneously you can imagine the repercussions world wide for Chinese developers in other markets and Apple's investment in Chinese manufacturing. (Plus lead on repercussions for the bricks-and-mortar stores in China.)

Oppressive governments know that you can make a series of radical changes as long as they progress slowly and each come with a short term excuse, despite there being a clear over-arching objective. "Boiling the frog" so to speak.

edited February 2020 jony0
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I’m sure Apple or their investors like any of this. I don’t like it. But if investors are going to demand answers, they should demand what will happen if Apple refuses the takedowns. That high stock price depends very much on China. Do investors care if China retaliates against the company, affecting profits? Are investors willing to accept a scenario where Apple pulls a Google and exits China? 

No way! 

If you’re going to stand on principles, prepare to give something up. Easy to vote “yes” on a measure.

And is it really fair to deny China Apple products? I think many Chinese want freedom of speech, but they would hate Apple and the USA more than their own country if Apple said bye bye. “Don’t interfere in our internal problems, white saviors!”

It’s not solely up to Apple to make changes. The Chinese are going to have to demand their rights themselves. Risk their lives and freedom just like South Koreans did to get their democracy. 

But right now, most Chinese care more about improving their standard of living than fighting for First Amendment type rights. After what the Chinese been through, millions who’ve died in the Cultural Revolution and the famine, can you blame them?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    There is another principle here:  It is responsible management.  

So called "free speech" can do irreparable harm to society because it is increasingly being used as a cover for propagating some agenda:  
    Should Apple propagate extremist views? (The extremists always say "Yes!" -- as long as they are their views and not the "other" extremists)
    Should Apple propagate false narratives that undermine the rule of law?  
    Should Apple propagate jihadist rationale?
    Should Apple propagate bomb making skills?
    Should Apple propagate DIY atomic bomb kits?

There is always a line to cross and the line between legality and responsibility is often intentionally blurred by those with an agenda.
    jony0
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Perhaps Apple should ask the shareholders whether it is ok for them to withdraw all business from China. 

I'd be ok with it.  I don't value money over freedom.  If more American, and free, companies would sack-up and tell China no then change would happen there. Just imagine if the NBA and Apple both said to China "if you want to get your panties in a bundle over freedom, we will shut down China sales/participation".  Does anyone realize just how quickly China could be changed if there wasn't kowtowing by companies like Apple and the NBA who are looking to protect money?  

darkvader
  • Reply 8 of 9
    airnerd said:

I'd be ok with it.  I don't value money over freedom.  If more American, and free, companies would sack-up and tell China no then change would happen there. Just imagine if the NBA and Apple both said to China "if you want to get your panties in a bundle over freedom, we will shut down China sales/participation".  Does anyone realize just how quickly China could be changed if there wasn't kowtowing by companies like Apple and the NBA who are looking to protect money?  

I see your point, However, I doubt the common shareholder values corporate ethics over ROI. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    airnerd said:

Or maybe China should tell us to stop shooting kids in school, putting kids in cages and starting pre-emptive wars -- and to start keeping our word again.
    jony0