Apple stops engraving iPod touch replacements following repair

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Owners of iPods who receive replacement iPod devices from Apple repair processes will no longer receive devices bearing engraving, with only non-engraved models being dispatched to customers without any re-application of personalized messages.

The option to engrave on Apple mobile devices has provided customers with ways to personalize a gift to another, as well as a means of identification if it gets lost. In the event of taking a faulty iPad, AirPods, Apple Pencil, or iPod to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, a re-engraving of personalized messages would be applied to replacement units in instances where the issue cannot be fixed.

In an internal memo to Apple Authorized Service Providers seen by MacRumors, Apple changed its policy this week just for the iPod lineup. Under the new policy, replacement units will no longer be engraved with the same message as the original unit, one that would previously have shipped directly from China.

The change affects repairs for the iPod touch as well as the iPod nano, iPod shuffle, and iPod classic. AirPods, iPads, and second-generation Apple Pencils with engraving are not affected by the new rules.

While engraving is not available for replacement models of the iPod touch, Apple still offers the option to apply engraving to the product in its online store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Uh Oh, here comes the next gate and class action.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Apple still sells iPods?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    No big deal. Many of the libraries near me have makerspaces that have laser engravers. I can do it myself for free if I wanted personalization. But nobody with any intelligence really wants to hurt the resale value of an iOS device by putting permanent markings on it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    lkrupp said:
    Uh Oh, here comes the next gate and class action.
    You say that like it's a bad thing, and without explanation. When Apple cheaps out, without explanation, they should be taken to task.

The article doesn't state whether this applies to iPod under warranty, Apple Care, or out of warranty. It's a free service, but one Apple offers as an inducement to sell many of its products. In effect, Apple is saying 'under our warranty, we'll give you almost what you paid for. You want it engraved, go find somebody else. We're done.'