Apple says you can clean your device with disinfecting wipes - but be careful

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2022
Apple on Monday updated a support document to say that that it's safe to use certain disinfecting wipes on its products, but you should still be careful and not get in a habit of doing so.

While disinfecting wipes can damage a display's oleophobic coating, Apple appears to have changed its tune on them.
While disinfecting wipes can damage a display's oleophobic coating, Apple appears to have changed its tune on them.

It's long been a best practice to avoid using any kind of harsh chemical or solvent on smartphones and other devices. For decades, Apple's recommendation has been to use a damp, lint-free cloth but not cleaners.

But amid a worsening global coronavirus outbreak, Apple has updated its guidelines to say that certain chemical wipes are safe to use. Apple's support document actually recommends using "70 isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes" to "gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces."

Apple's updated cleaning guidelines apparently okay the use of disinfectants.
Apple's updated cleaning guidelines apparently okay the use of disinfectants.

The use of bleach, as well as submersion in cleaning products or getting moisture into any openings, is still to be avoided, per the updated guidelines. Apple also says not to use cleaning wipes on leather or fabric.

While Apple has updated its own recommendations, continued use of solvents on your display will wear down its oleophobic coating and may result in permanent damage.

Much of AppleInsider's staff has worked in device service in the past. We have seen the damage that can result from solvent application to screens, including alcohol over time. We don't recommend using these cleaning wipes on a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro screen at all. This all said, we've got some sacrificial devices lined up, and will report back at some point in the future.

It isn't clear how long COVID-19 can survive on surfaces. The Center for Disease Control has confirmed that it can be transmitted through that vector if the deposited liquid holding the virus is relatively fresh.

In 2021, Apple introduced its own Apple polishing cloth. While roundly mocked for its $19 price tag, it immediately sold out -- and is good for cleaning screens.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    My experience is the surface “screens” on iPhones and iPads are easily damaged. (Though they do well on drop tests)

I recommend buying a screen protector when you purchase your device (plan ahead).  You can buy a 3 pack on Amazon for $12.  Then you can go to town with cleaning wipes, and swap the protector if the screen gets a scratch or foggy (from the chemicals).

I always use a case, but if you don’t you might discolor the rest of the iPhone (with the chemicals) and lower it’s resale value... so go just harsh enough to get the job done.

I use the isopropyl alcohol wipes.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    You can get boxes of pre-injection swabs with 70% isopropyl alcohol very cheaply. The 1” square wipe is plenty for giving a phone a quick once-over. Don’t rub it! Just a quick wipe is enough. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Moot point. No wipes left in supermarkets after panic buying  :D
    lkrupptnet-primary
  • Reply 4 of 11
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    hentaiboy said:
    Moot point. No wipes left in supermarkets after panic buying  :D
    I currently have isopropyl alcohol that I bought months ago from Costco.  I bet many do...
    razorpit
  • Reply 5 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't think anybody else has ever touched my phone, so no worries here. Why would I let somebody else touch my phone?

I was at Costco today to stock up on toilet paper and they were out of kirkland(costco brand), but I managed to get charmin instead, so my trip wasn't wasted.

They also were out of clorox wipes, but I already have some of those stocked up at home from before. I was stocked up even before the virus, I like to be prepared. I just need to get some sort of weapon that will be effective against the zombies when the time comes.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 6 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    apple ][ said:
    I don't think anybody else has ever touched my phone, so no worries here. Why would I let somebody else touch my phone?
    Why would you need someone else to touch your phone? YOU touch infectious surfaces, say at your trip to Costco, then touch your phone. You might diligently wash your hands after that, but then your phone is a potentially infectious surface which you’ll then touch again, then rub your eye, etc. 
    netrox
  • Reply 7 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:
    Why would you need someone else to touch your phone? YOU touch infectious surfaces, say at your trip to Costco, then touch your phone. You might diligently wash your hands after that, but then your phone is a potentially infectious surface which you’ll then touch again, then rub your eye, etc. 
    That I understand. I do wipe down my own devices from time to time, including phone, iPads, Mac keyboards, Magic trackpad etc.....

I don't like to clean my iPad display screen too often though. I like to play games on it sometimes, and when the display is too clean, my fingers don't glide smoothly on it as I'd like and my gaming suffers. A slightly used iPad display that has been worn in is what I prefer. I suppose that oil from fingers collect on the display and makes the fingers glide more smoothly on it.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 8 of 11
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    apple ][ said:

They also were out of clorox wipes, but I already have some of those stocked up at home from before. I was stocked up even before the virus, I like to be prepared. I just need to get some sort of weapon that will be effective against the zombies when the time comes.
    I got that covered. Thank you Mr. Browning.
    I highly recommend Phone Soap. That's the one we own but there's other UV lights on Amazon that are also highly rated.
    My wife got me a UV light for Christmas. I was always afraid to bombard my phone with unnecessary UV. Are those things safe? I picture them breaking down whatever chemical coverings there are on the screen and back glass.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:

I got that covered. Thank you Mr. Browning.
    I highly recommend Phone Soap. That's the one we own but there's other UV lights on Amazon that are also highly rated.
    My wife got me a UV light for Christmas. I was always afraid to bombard my phone with unnecessary UV. Are those things safe? I picture them breaking down whatever chemical coverings there are on the screen and back glass.
    They're safe, but they don't do that much. Beats doing nothing.
    edited March 2020 razorpit
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:
    That I understand. I do wipe down my own devices from time to time, including phone, iPads, Mac keyboards, Magic trackpad etc.....

I don't like to clean my iPad display screen too often though. I like to play games on it sometimes, and when the display is too clean, my fingers don't glide smoothly on it as I'd like and my gaming suffers. A slightly used iPad display that has been worn in is what I prefer. I suppose that oil from fingers collect on the display and makes the fingers glide more smoothly on it.
    iPads don't have the same oleophobic coating that iPhones do, due to Pencil, so they attract more finger grease.

Regardless, this thread is about cleaning your devices for safety. If gaming is more important than avoiding a virus, do what you like.
    edited March 2020