iOS 13.4.5 beta suggests Apple's 'iPhone SE 2' will support 'CarKey'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Apple's latest iOS 13.4.5 beta contains snippets of code that reveal details about the company's CarKey digital key API and potential integrations with a rumored low-cost iPhone.

BMW
BMW's is rumored to be an early CarKey partner.

Initial details about CarKey were first discovered in an iOS 13.4 beta in February, and though the API certainly exists, there's few concrete details about it. At the same time, Apple is expected to be on the verge of releasing an entry-level "iPhone SE 2" model.

Now, it appears that code strings in the new iOS 13.4.5 beta spotted by 9to5Mac reveal more details about CarKey. They also tangentially hint that the "iPhone SE 2" may make its debut in the near future.

More specifically, it appears that Apple has added new code that mentions CarKey compatibility with a Touch ID-equipped iPhone. Previously, it appeared that the feature would only be supported by newer devices with Face ID.

The code in question refers to a so-called "Express Mode" that would allow users to use CarKey without authenticating via a passcode or biometrics. It adds that the feature "may be available when your iPhone needs to be charged," suggesting power reserve support.

Which is where the "iPhone SE 2" comes in. Express Mode is assumedly based on Apple's current Express Transit feature, and is compatible with the iPhone 6s and later. But Express Transit with power reserve only works on newer devices, handsets like iPhone XR and iPhone 11 that also happen to feature Face ID.

The key factor here could be the ability to scan NFC tags in the background. Previous leaked code suggested that the "iPhone SE 2" could sport that feature.

Because the iPhone 8 is Apple's lone Touch ID model, and that model does not support power reserve, it can be assumed that the specific Touch ID-equipped and power reserve-supporting device mentioned in the code is likely the upcoming "iPhone SE 2."

Lastly, another iOS 13.4.5 code string indicates that CarKey will not be available on older devices. That probably means it will at least require background NFC scanning and Express Mode support to function.

The so-called CarKey API, revealed in February, will supposedly let users lock, unlock or even start compatible vehicles with their iPhones or Apple Watches.

Apple's so-called "iPhone SE 2," which may alternatively be called the "iPhone 9," is expected to be a 4.7-inch device with an A13 chip, Touch ID and a form factor similar to the iPhone 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Right now isn't the only compatible automobile a BMW? So a BMW driver would own a low-end iPhone SE2? I don't think so.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    rikipedia said:
    Right now isn't the only compatible automobile a BMW? So a BMW driver would own a low-end iPhone SE2? I don't think so.
    Why not?

I still own and use an SE for example. That says nothing about my financial standing and I would laugh at anybody who thinks that it does.

beowulfschmidtdewme
  • Reply 3 of 6
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    apple ][ said:
    rikipedia said:
    Why not?

I still own and use an SE for example. That says nothing about my financial standing and I would laugh at anybody who thinks that it does.
    Normally you don’t introduce an entirely new feature that’s intended for affluent people on low end devices.  But, you do when CarKey is going to be a standard feature on all iPhones regardless of price point.

Apple is assuming almost universal support for CarKey in 3 to 5 years.  Apple does have a tendency of getting the hardware out there even if it’s not useful yet.  They did with Apple Pay, FaceID, and AR...
    beowulfschmidtStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 6
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    I have to admit I do like this idea, I mean at the end of the day we entrust a LOT of our details and bank information, including access to our accounts, to Apples security of Touch ID and Face ID, do what’s the difference to a car? One less thing to lose as well if you can leave your keys at home. Just make sure your batteries charged....
  • Reply 5 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    rikipedia said:
    First of all, the BMW screens were rumor only, and had spelling and other issues. 

Second, even if true, why do you assume it would only be supported by BMW or this phone? That’s absurd. Of course it would roll out to many. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I based the phone part on the headline. Also, I had previously read that ONLY BMW had at this time, incorporated CarKey into their new vehicles. How did I get this so wrong? The article was click-bait & did eat.