Apple confirms unreleased AirTags in own support video

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
The name "AirTags" has appeared in a brand new Apple support video, putting to rest any debate about what Apple will ultimately call its forthcoming wireless trackers that are expected to help users keep tabs on possessions beyond electronic devices.

Full screen capture of the video that was briefly available on YouTube, showing the AirTags product name
Full screen capture of the video that was briefly available on YouTube, showing the AirTags product name

The video, briefly published on Thursday, explicitly showed the "AirTags" name in an Apple menu. The product's name was listed under the "Enable Offline Finding" section of a video describing how to erase an iPhone.

Specifically, the image proves that the accessory can be "found when not connected to Wi-Fi or cellular." This has been predicted for some time, and leverages the UWB technology found in the iPhone, and obviously in the AirTags, to locate the lost device.

Apple's video was pulled by the company itself after about 15 minutes of availability, and less than 1500 views.

Rumors have swirled since 2019 about an Apple-produced tracker that works with the refreshed Find My app. All of the reports have suggested Apple would shift from just tracking lost Apple hardware, into locating other items. "Tag" hardware references found in June 2019 first alluded to AirTags' existence, and hinted at adding Tile-like functionality to the app.

Close-up of Apple's now retracted video, showing the AirTags name
Close-up of Apple's now retracted video, showing the AirTags name

Screenshots found in October 2019 showed an updated Find My app with a bottom bar with "People," "Devices," "Items," and "Me." In the screenshots, the AirTags are still referred to by their codename, "B389."

Other screenshots show the AirTags setup process, which will consist of pulling the tab on the AirTag and bringing it within range of an iPhone.

All of the leaks for the last nine months have suggested that AirTags were imminent. Back in September 2019, the usually reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believed they would be released very soon. More recently, he suspected that they would be released in a March 2020 event that didn't happen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    I can't wait. I've used Tile and Trackr, but even before they were products I wanted Apple to make these because it would be more secure, be on by default on all devices, and just better. I can see them not working as well in countries that are nearly all Android, but that's not a major concern for me.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Up next, the “person with head exploding” emoji on iOS will be briefly replaced by “Tile logo with head exploding” emoji.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So what does Tile want? Apple to immediately cease any research or development of a competing product and to recommend Tile exclusively to Apple users? Because that’s what they sound like when they whine and cry to Congress about anti-competitive behavior. My local grocery store is putting more and more of its own branded products on the shelves and shoving name brands off. Is that anti-competitive behavior too? What rights does a store owner like Apple have in what it offers for sale?
    StrangeDaysJapheyjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    lkrupp said:
    So what does Tile want? Apple to immediately cease any research or development of a competing product and to recommend Tile exclusively to Apple users? Because that’s what they sound like when they whine and cry to Congress about anti-competitive behavior. My local grocery store is putting more and more of its own branded products on the shelves and shoving name brands off. Is that anti-competitive behavior too? What rights does a store owner like Apple have in what it offers for sale?
    I always wondered the same. How is stuff like this any different than in-house brands, in-house bakeries, etc? The grocer or pharmacy retailer can offer it for less because they don’t have to pay themselves for shelf slotting fees, etc. 
    Japheylkruppjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Has anyone verified the actual video on apple’s YouTube channel or support website? (And not just a second hand capture) Because the spacing before “AirTags” looks inconsistent from the rest of the text. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Xed said:
    I can't wait. I've used Tile and Trackr, but even before they were products I wanted Apple to make these because it would be more secure, be on by default on all devices, and just better. I can see them not working as well in countries that are nearly all Android, but that's not a major concern for me.
    All of the above have been my experience.  I've tried both and neither worked well, though to be fair it was early days.

Crowd sourcing a location might be handy, but I'm not concerned. I just want to dependably and reliably track down something I misplaced or dropped. I'm hoping the AirTag will be slim enough it can live in a wallet not easily detected.
    razorpitcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Has anyone verified the actual video on apple’s YouTube channel or support website? (And not just a second hand capture) Because the spacing before “AirTags” looks inconsistent from the rest of the text. 
    The spacing is fine. Compare the bottom of the d and the bottom of the left leg of the A. That distance is on par with all the other spacing for that font. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    macgui said:
    Xed said:
    All of the above have been my experience.  I've tried both and neither worked well, though to be fair it was early days.

Crowd sourcing a location might be handy, but I'm not concerned. I just want to dependably and reliably track down something I misplaced or dropped. I'm hoping the AirTag will be slim enough it can live in a wallet not easily detected.
    Despite the relatively small user based I was surprised by how many people actively installed their apps for the crowd sourced location tracking to work. Making this an Apple product with 80%(?) of iPhones (and other devices?) having the latest version of the OS that supports within just a few days will make AirTags a must have. I can understand why Tile is upset, but they need to innovate better instead of trying to hinder innovation.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Xed said:
    Can’t agree more.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    I will be buying apple tags, if the price is right. I'm not a fan of Tile, but as a developer I understand why Tile complains. They are justified IMO.  Tile is the #1 in the industry, they are not a second rate product nor a patent troll. Apple intentionally modified policies to promote their own offering, while eroding the value of their competition. Tile's value is in it's simplicity and wide tracking network. Apple is attacking both value props for them, on purpose, even after being found at fault in court. Some lawyer is going to get a big payment from this.
    ctt_zh
  • Reply 11 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've never used any of these tracking devices before.

If Apple's device functions well and is at the right price, then I'll probably be getting it to try out for myself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    moshindmoshind Posts: 1member
    And still I do not understand why Apple needs AirTags? Better for Apple to focus on hardware, services and software, not Chinese junk alike products.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    This will be a boon in locating stolen belongings when a robbery occurs.  If AirTags can ping any iPhone in the wild - natively - it will be a game changer.  I'll buy a bunch of AirTags for my high-priced items and will feel much better than if someone puts it in their bag/car/etc, anyone in the area with an iPhone will ping that location back to me.  Awesome.

This is the problem with Tile.  One has to have the app installed which means a very, very small, minuscule percentage of users will even use it making it worthless to me.

My neighborhood has experienced quite a few garage break-ins and some of the thieves I believe are from the victim's immediate vicinity.  Native AirTags would make retrieval of stolen items so much easier and hopefully result in more arrests.
    watto_cobraforgot username