Apple donates $10M to 'One World: Together at Home' COVID-19 fundraiser

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Monday announced the company will donate $10 million to the "One World: Together at Home" benefit, a COVID-19 fundraiser organized by Global Citizen and the World Health Organization in collaboration with Lady Gaga.

Gaga and Cook
Lady Gaga calls Apple CEO Tim Cook on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

The gift was revealed in a pre-recorded segment aired on YouTube by "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon."

In the video, part of "The Tonight Show's" ongoing at-home interview series," Gaga talked to Fallon about the initiative that will fund the WHO's COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund. The pop star has gathered a host of A-list celebrities and musical acts to feature in the special live broadcast scheduled to air globally on April 18. Fallon, along with late night talk show personalities Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert, will host the event.

During the interview, Gaga, who is personally fundraising for the event, proposed she and Fallon call Cook for a donation.

"I think we should call Tim Cook," Gaga said. "I don't know if he knows he's going to be on TV just yet, but we're going to FaceTime him and find out."

When asked by Gaga to confirm a previously discussed donation figure, Cook said, "You can confirm me, we are so proud to be a part of this." Fallon later revealed the number to be $10 million. The project has so far raised $35 million, much of the money coming from tech companies like Apple.

As announced earlier today, "One World: Together at Home" will feature appearances by Alanis Morissette, Andrea Bocelli, Billie Eilish, Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, Burna Boy, Chris Martin, David Beckham, Eddie Vedder, Elton John, FINNEAS, Idris and Sabrina Elba, J Balvin, John Legend, Kacey Musgraves, Keith Urban, Kerry Washington, Lang Lang, Lizzo, Maluma, Paul McCartney, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Shah Rukh Khan, and Stevie Wonder.

Apple is slated to stream the event live on April 18 at 5 p.m. Pacific.

The Cupertino tech giant is pouring money and resources into fighting the COVID-19 pandemic and in March said worldwide commitments to relief causes surpassed $15 million. Two weeks later, the company doubled donations earmarked for China to more than $7 million.

More recently, Cook over the weekend said Apple has sourced some 20 million N95 face masks from its supply chain for use by front line medical workers. The company, with the help of partner suppliers, is also manufacturing in-house designed plastic face shields at a rate of more than 1 million a week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Good job Apple, and good job to all the companies and individuals stepping up to help where governments have spectacularly dropped the ball. 
    StrangeDaysjony0fastasleep
  • Reply 2 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Waiting for the “characters” on the other thread to tie themselves in mental knots explaining why this is bad “virtue signaling!” 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mariowincomariowinco Posts: 112member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Good job Apple, and good job to all the companies and individuals stepping up to help where governments have spectacularly dropped the ball. 
    Isn’t it better for the global society that these (hahaha) generous companies pay their due taxes without going into complicated BEPS strategies? How can you mention that their sad charity give a good example? 
    fedup
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Zoos everywhere need help.  I hope that these animals will find their way into a future fundraiser of some sort.  It is all over the news.  Here is an example, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/world/europe/germany-zoo-coronavirus.html
  • Reply 5 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    fedup said:
    Is anyone actually fooled by this garbage?Apple is worth 1.3 trillion dollars and they donated 10 million.That is the same as I gave 1/100000 of a penny.
    They donated 1/130000 of their market cap.  You're saying that you're only worth a penny?

In any case, this isn't the only donation Apple has made.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    fedup said:
    crowley said:
    fedup said:
    Is anyone actually fooled by this garbage?Apple is worth 1.3 trillion dollars and they donated 10 million.That is the same as I gave 1/100000 of a penny.
    They donated 1/130000 of their market cap.  You're saying that you're only worth a penny?

Do you think this is generous?Do you think they wont profit from free promo of this?Do you think they could afford more?Do you work for Apple?
    I think it's $10m they didn't need to give, so sure, from that perspective it's generous.  They'll probably get some goodwill from it too, so what?  Should Apple not generate to avoid being accused of showboating?  Of course not.  They could certainly afford more than $10m, but as noted, this is not the total extent of what Apple is doing, and I'd need to see the total figure before I make any overall judgement on whether Apple have been generous and a good corporate citizen.  Early impression is that they have been.

I do not work for Apple.
    fedup said:
    crowley said:
    fedup said:

Well Crowley , To the point that I am worth only a penny. That is getting to be true.I am a self employed person that does not have any coverage,from no fault of my own, who has been off work for 6 months going through chemo.I am getting pretty close to being down to my last penny and I am not the only hard working stiff that is in the same position.Enjoy your Iphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!y
    Sorry to hear that, but in that case it hardly makes sense to compare yourself proportionately with Apple.  I'd advise someone in your financial situation to keep every penny and not donate anything.  And vote for representatives that will bring some change to US healthcare, and that take crises seriously.
    fedup said:
    crowley said:
    fedup said:

Crowley , I see you do not have the decency to reply to me.I also can do math if i want to.Since you  have posted your opinion 6306 times since 2009 , you post your opinion on average 1.91888888888 times a day, so why all of a sudden are you at a loss for words? 
    I don't live on the internet, and I've been asleep dude.  Not everyone is in the same timezone as you.

avon b7
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fedup said:
    crowley said:
    fedup said:
    crowley said:
    fedup said:

Do you think this is generous?Do you think they wont profit from free promo of this?Do you think they could afford more?Do you work for Apple?
    I think it's $10m they didn't need to give, so sure, from that perspective it's generous.  They'll probably get some goodwill from it too, so what?  Should Apple not generate to avoid being accused of showboating?  Of course not.  They could certainly afford more than $10m, but as noted, this is not the total extent of what Apple is doing, and I'd need to see the total figure before I make any overall judgement on whether Apple have been generous and a good corporate citizen.  Early impression is that they have been.

I do not work for Apple.
    fedup said:
    crowley said:
    fedup said:

Well Crowley , To the point that I am worth only a penny. That is getting to be true.I am a self employed person that does not have any coverage,from no fault of my own, who has been off work for 6 months going through chemo.I am getting pretty close to being down to my last penny and I am not the only hard working stiff that is in the same position.Enjoy your Iphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!y
    Sorry to hear that, but in that case it hardly makes sense to compare yourself proportionately with Apple.  I'd advise someone in your financial situation to keep every penny and not donate anything.  And vote for representatives that will bring some change to US healthcare, and that take crises seriously.
    fedup said:
    crowley said:
    fedup said:

Crowley , I see you do not have the decency to reply to me.I also can do math if i want to.Since you  have posted your opinion 6306 times since 2009 , you post your opinion on average 1.91888888888 times a day, so why all of a sudden are you at a loss for words? 
    I don't live on the internet, and I've been asleep dude.  Not everyone is in the same timezone as you.

I am sure amazon has some sort of form where sheep gather
    I don't fully understand what you're saying there, but I'm pretty sure you're being a dick.  No need for that.

I hope your chemo works out.
    avon b7