Apple shipping replacement AirPods with unreleased firmware, pairing issue

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Apple is shipping replacement AirPods with a newer, unreleased firmware version which cannot be paired with the user's remaining AirPod.

AirPod replacements won't work if they are not the same firmware as the old one
AirPod replacements won't work if they are not the same firmware as the old one

Users seeking a replacement AirPod for a lost or damaged set may be out of luck, as Apple seems to be shipping some models with newer-than-released firmware 2D3. This seems to be affecting the second generation AirPods specifically, although a few reports of AirPods Pro replacements with the firmware have been reported too.

To add to the confusion, it seems to be affecting only those replacing their right earbud, not the left. Users contacting Apple support are being told to wait for the new update for the issue to be resolved, but were given no expected release date of the firmware.

The issue was documented by iMore who first noticed the issue. It appears to have been occurring for at least two weeks.

With the coronavirus outbreak affecting everything from production to testing, it is likely the cause some misaligned shipments of these updated models. Combine that with slowed firmware development delaying the release of the software due to engineers working from home, and it is easy to see how such a situation would occur.

This is not the first time AirPods firmware has been in the spotlight, with an update in December 2019 apparently reducing ANC quality in the AirPods Pro. The update was pulled shortly after release, which further complicated Apple's firmware release schedule as some people updated to the 2C54 version, while others remain on the 2B588 version from before.

A new update would bring everyone to the same version, making issues in the supply chain less relevant. Apple has not commented on the issue directly, but the firmware should resolve the problem when it arrives for everyone.
esb

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I went through this process with Apple in the last 2 weeks and was able to pair the AirPod Pro replacement without issue
  • Reply 2 of 11
    deefnasty said:
    I went through this process with Apple in the last 2 weeks and was able to pair the AirPod Pro replacement without issue
    Me too.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Most people won’t have a problem the firmware updates automatically when plugged in and charging.  Sometimes Apple reverts to an earlier version when there’s a problem.  

The instance described in the article is a fluke.  But it is possible to have 2 different versions.

I’d put them in the charging case and connect them to charge.  The problem should fix itself.

I suspect people immediately tried to pair the replacement to the existing one, and that was the problem.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    deefnasty said:
    I am currently going through this process.  It is frustrating!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    did you check firmware when you got replacement. maybe your replacement was 2C54. 2D has never been released i try to sync at least 10 days apple knows issue. they suggest wait and wait. there are some methods said that you can solve the issue temporarily but when you put them to case you have to do all process again but i couldn’t sync. when you don’t have problem it doesn’t mean it has never been happened. you have to explain why do they ship one bud with unreleased firmware? as a customer i shouldn’t be responsible for their fault. finally apple said that they will release update after summer. maybe they will release 2D with so called airpods x/lite. I don’t know who knows. 
    esb
  • Reply 6 of 11
    by the way apple senior advisor explained “it is impossible to download and sync unreleased firmware” maybe you were lucky
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    Most people won’t have a problem the firmware updates automatically when plugged in and charging.  Sometimes Apple reverts to an earlier version when there’s a problem.  

The instance described in the article is a fluke.  But it is possible to have 2 different versions.

I’d put them in the charging case and connect them to charge.  The problem should fix itself.

I suspect people immediately tried to pair the replacement to the existing one, and that was the problem.
    You can’t update the old AirPod since the update does not exist. That is the core of the issue.
    esb
  • Reply 8 of 11
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Seems strange that they pulled December's firmware update and never re-released it. Maybe the only "feature" was the ANC tweak that didn't go down well, so they abandoned it entirely.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 9 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

That might be.   I remember being given explicit instructions by the Apple Store guru to charge them for at least half an hour before trying to pair.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    esbesb Posts: 1member

To add to the confusion, it seems to be affecting only those replacing their right earbud, not the left. Users contacting Apple support are being told to wait for the new update for the issue to be resolved, but were given no expected release date 
     It is happening w my left replacement. I am ‘glad’ to see that I am just totally inept after trying to pair/update it for hours. When I chatted w support, they did not tell me 2D3 hadn’t been released. :(
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I have the exact same problem just received today.  Replacing Right airpod 2, it has new firmware, wont pair with left with old firmware.