Apple releases macOS Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental update to fix FaceTime bug, more

Posted:
in macOS
Following this week's release of iOS 13.4.1 and watchOS 6.2.1, Apple on Wednesday issued a tweaked version of macOS Catalina that fixes a bug which prevented some users from participating in FaceTime calls.

The macOS Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental update remedies a FaceTime calling bug impacting users across all Apple platforms. With patches issued for iOS, iPadOS and watchOS already issued, today's macOS release brings the Mac operating system in parity with its mobile device counterparts.

Users facing the issue reported an inability to join or participate in FaceTime calls with devices running iOS 9.3.6 and earlier and OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and earlier.

In addition to the FaceTime issue, today's supplemental update resolves a problem in which a Mac's USB-C port may become unresponsive, according to release notes.

The release also rectifies an issue that repeatedly prompts Office 365 users for a password, as well as a problem in which some 2020 13-inch MacBook Air models may hang in Setup Assistant or when disconnecting and reconnecting a 4K or 5K external display.

Apple first issued macOS Catalina 10.15.4 in late March, delivering support for iCloud Drive folder sharing, Screen Time enhancements and time-synced lyrics for Apple Music, among other new features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    10.15.4 still has the problem where third party preference panels don’t work. I haven’t installed this yet. I hope it fixes that, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mdossmdoss Posts: 40member
    I am facing issues downloading and installing this update. It shows up on both my machines - a 2013 iMac 27" and a 2018 13" touchbar MBPro; and when I try to download and install, it "downloads" the entire thing, but the progress bar get stuck at 100% and then never proceeds further. No more downloading, no more progressing to verifying or installing. Both machines. Same problem.

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 23
    gubigubi Posts: 4member
    Yeah, this one borked my 2012 iMac. Had to reinstall from recovery. Proceed with caution. 
  • Reply 4 of 23
    ctmjpnctmjpn Posts: 1member
    I attempted to install the update but about halfway through my computer shutdown and it bricked my 2018 13 inch MacBook. No power, no fans coming on and off or anything when pressing and holding the power button. It was plugged and fully charged while updating. Anyone else having this problem? Also attempted to do a SMC reset to no avail still won't turn on. I am sending it in for repair. I would hold off updating unless you want to risk losing your computer for a week.
    ViloGP
  • Reply 5 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    gubi said:
    Yeah, this one borked my 2012 iMac. Had to reinstall from recovery. Proceed with caution. 
    ctmjpn said:
    I attempted to install the update but about halfway through my computer shutdown and it bricked my 2018 13 inch MacBook. No power, no fans coming on and off or anything when pressing and holding the power button. It was plugged and fully charged while updating. Anyone else having this problem? Also attempted to do a SMC reset to no avail still won't turn on. I am sending it in for repair. I would hold off updating unless you want to risk losing your computer for a week.
    Yikes. I was about to pull the trigger and upgrade from Mojave this week, but maybe I'll hold off a bit longer. 😬
  • Reply 6 of 23
    radekradek Posts: 8member
    melgross said:
    10.15.4 still has the problem where third party preference panels don’t work. I haven’t installed this yet. I hope it fixes that, but I doubt it.
    works with Flash and Tuxera preference panels. I don't have any other.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    melgross said:
    We are going through this right now with Microsoft Teams. I thought it was just a Teams issue. Sometimes you can share your screen during a call, most of the time you can’t. I’m still running 10.14.6 on my home machine and it gets a little janky sometimes as well. Not nearly as bad as 10.15 though.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    Installed on an MacBook Air 2015. Installation was smooth and the system stable also with external SSD-drives. Microsoft Teams, use it 6 to 8 hours a day is running without any glitches. Sharing screens or desktop no problem at all with an session of 30 clients. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 9 of 23
    No install issues on 2018 MBP.
    fastasleepchia
  • Reply 10 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    No issues on 2012 Mac mini, 2012 15" MBP, 2019 MBP, 2019 MBA, 2020 iMac 5k. 2013 Mac Pro.
    edited April 2020 cornchipfelixer
  • Reply 11 of 23
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    MacPro said:
    No issues on 2012 Mac mini, 2012 15" MBP, 2019 MBP, 2019 MBA, 2020 iMac 5k. 2013 Mac Pro.
    Yeah but there’re a bunch of one-posters with bricked machines, so your arguments invalid. 
    felixerchia
  • Reply 12 of 23
    cornchip said:
    MacPro said:
    Yeah but there’re a bunch of one-posters with bricked machines, so your arguments invalid. 
    This is the first time in recent memory that an upgrade has borked my Mac.  I created an account to post a warning, hadn't really seen the need to post here before.

Went fine on my wife's 2020 MacBook Air, but my 2012 iMac got stuck at the gray apple screen for an hour.  Forced a reboot and logged in with my password.  Halfway through the boot process it kicked over to "Reinstall MacOS" and had to do an OS reinstall.  Seems okay now.

A few other folks have had issues (see:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251259424?page=1)  I ain't saying it's widespread, but this is the first time I've had a problem like this in a long time.  
    fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 23
    There's a thread at MacRumors as well reporting issues for some users.  At least my Mac didn't get bricked, I guess.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/warning-macos-catalina-10-15-4-supplemental-update-bricked-my-13-inch-macbook-2018.2230133/
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 23
    ViloGPViloGP Posts: 1member
    ctmjpn said:
    I have the same problem with my 2019 MBP 16” tried to reinstall Catalina but with less of 30% charge it didn’t let me... 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    ctmjpn said:
    Odd, I'm typing my reply on a 2018 13 inch MacBook Pro that I've just updated.  I noticed it seemed totally dead after it downloaded the update and restarted, but after about five to ten minutes, the Apple logo appeared alongside the usual update progress bar and my MacBook Pro updated without any further issue.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    radek said:
    melgross said:
    works with Flash and Tuxera preference panels. I don't have any other.
    I have eight. None of them work. When clicking on them at the bottom of the system preferences panel I get a notice that the system pref  panel needs to close and open again for that to work. I close it and open it, and the same thing happens. I have to cancel.
  • Reply 17 of 23

cornchip said:
    MacPro said:
    The reality is that bugs affect some machines, and not others. Over the years I’ve not been affected by most bugs people report. But then, as now, I report on a bug I’m having that most others seem to not have.

there doesn’t seem to be a way to predict these things. Sometimes people with less experience who have a bug and don’t know what to do about it, come to speciality sites such as this one hoping others will have had the problem—and a so, a solution. That’s why they’re new.
    chia
  • Reply 18 of 23
    FACT: I had ZERO problems after installing this update on 3 different Macbook Air's.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    gubi said:
    Yep. The original update did exactly that to my 2012 iMac. It was crazy. Crashes, random restarts, failing to boot. Was on with Apple support for hours. Formatted and erased disks and after what seemed like forever got to reinstall from recovery. Days later same nonsense. Finally installed the supplemental but have hardly touch the computer for fear I have to go through that hassle again. Worst update ever since owning a Mac. 
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I tried installing the supplemental update on my 2016 Macbook yesterday.  After about 10 minutes, the screen went grey and I got the 🚫symbol.  I restarted in recovery mode to run disk utility but the hard drive had vanished from the list of devices.  Also tried reinstalling OS from scratch but of course, the system couldn't locate a hard drive upon which to install it.  Called Apple Support today and the only solution is to send it off for repair.  So it looks like the installation process has killed my hard drive.  Proceed with caution on this update!