Apple releases macOS Catalina 10.15.5 beta with battery health monitoring feature

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2020
A day after issuing new beta builds of iOS 13.4.5, iPadOS 13.4.5, tvOS 13.4.5, and watchOS 6.2.5, Apple has followed suit with a second beta version of macOS Catalina 10.15.5 for developers with a new battery health management feature.

Apple's 2020 MacBook Air
Apple's 2020 MacBook Air

Builds of macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and the other operating systems can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center by those taking part in the testing program, along with the option to perform an over-the-air software update for devices already enrolled into the scheme. A public beta is typically made available shortly after the developer version is distributed, via the Apple Beta Software Program website.

The new build takes over from the first release, which for macOS Catalina 10.15.5 was on March 31.

Apple has still not provided detailed release notes for the beta. But, it has an implementation of the iOS battery health management monitoring for machines that charge with USB-C, that is enabled by default. AppleInsider will be discussing the feature shortly.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly suggest users don't install the betas on to what they could describe as "mission-critical" or primary hardware, as there is the small possibility of data loss or other problems. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Any rumors around about what 10.16.x will be named? Catalina is up to 10.15.5 now and I believe Mojave topped out at 10.14.6 so WWDC is usually the time the next macOS is announced. My late 2013 27” 14,2  iMac runs Catalina very well but I wonder if the next macOS will make it to my eight year old machine. Holding out hope for an iMac release before then and really don’t want to buy a year old design like the 2019 iMacs. 
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Just updated 10.15.4. Why Apple didn't put such important battery monitoring feature in it ? 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wood1208 said:
    Just updated 10.15.4. Why Apple didn't put such important battery monitoring feature in it ? 
    They just did. What’s your point?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    wood1208 said:
    What makes you think it's so important?  Is your battery in trouble?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    wood1208 said:
    Why didn't they put all of the 10.15 features into 10.14? 🤔
    razorpitbageljoeylkruppwatto_cobraFLMusic